Author Topic: Virtualization is the key to UO scripting success!  (Read 36995 times)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Virtualization is the key to UO scripting success!
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
+1
I use Virtual PC 2007 mainly. Right now I run Windows XP 64-bit as my main operating system. Then I use Virtual PC to run a Windows 7 beta, Windows Vista, Ubuntu, and Fedora. It just sucks that you can only use the 32-bit version in VPC. I would love to play around with 64-bit version of Ubuntu and Fedora on there, but oh well!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2009, 09:55:31 AM »
+1
VMWare workstation and you can do whatever you want ;)

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2009, 11:13:04 AM »
+1
Can i look for another copy to run on an overclocked 900 Mhz AMD Tbred with 384 meg of ram with the use of vmware?

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
+1
I dunno if that would even run VMware or any virtualization software really.

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2009, 04:46:28 AM »
+1
Masscre, you're issue is mainly going to be your RAM. 384 is barely enough for a host OS TBH. The guest really doesn't need much, hell you can run UO on a Windows 98 image last I knew, but 384 is pretty low. The proc is probably fine, you wouldn't be able to run dozens of guests or anything but memory is key.

I would upgrade to a gig of cheap memory and give it a shot. You could probably pull two low-end guests with that host with a gig of memory, won't be great but it will work and will be a hell of a lot cheaper and more convenient then running three seperate physical devices!

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2009, 10:03:55 AM »
+1
Yea memory is definitely the key to success with virtual machines...I have 8GB on my main system, and I allocate 2GB for each of my 2 virtual machines.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2009, 10:27:29 AM »
+1
It also really matters what your VM OS will be.  If you are trying to do a bunch of Win7 VMs, then 2GB is good, but if you just have a few Win2000 VMs, then you can easily live with 512MB.  Actually, I ran a whole bunch of VMs at 384MB under Win2K.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »
+1
I would also suggest that VMWare handles memory a little better than Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 so if you are scrapped for memory you may want to keep that in mind. I tend to use MS VPC07 because it's free and extremely easy to setup and manage however VMWare products aren't really that difficult either.

TM, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you saying 384 megs of RAM is enough to effectively run multiple guest OS's or are you saying 384 assigned to each guest on a host that has a couple of gig? I would agree with the latter but I would hate to be running with shared 384!!  :P

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 12:46:52 PM »
+1
I'm just saying that I was successful at running a VM client with 384M dedicated to it.  You do require more memory for the host of course, but each client under Win2K runs well with only that much.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 12:48:40 PM »
+1
Thanks for the info guys I also have a dell 3 GHZ with a gig of ram i can work with so it would be easy to do 2 guest os lets say win2000 and possibly a 3rd with this system. These are all computer by the way that i had left over from my store when i closed it most are trade in after i upgraded them I have prolly like 5 or 6 desktops and 10 laptops :)

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
+1
I've been running my VM for a few weeks now.. just about every day, I duno if this is a Client Problem, VM Problem, or what.
but My UO Client Crashes almost Every day.  I duno if I have to add more memory to the VM or what?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »
+1
I do get more client crashes on the VM, not daily but every once in a while.  What VM software are you using?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 03:03:29 PM »
+1
Sun VM

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
+1
Oh, VirtualBox.  I dunno, I have been testing the new MIB Farmer on it for hours at a time without problem.  The 3.0 version is a bit touchy, you might try going back to version 2.2.4
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2009, 10:35:24 AM »
+1
Wow, VM Workstation was easy to setup.  Installed, internet didn't work, set it to bridged, rebooted the VM, bam.  Everything works like a charm.  Running Windows 7 with Windows 7 in a VM... :)  Now to find a Windows XP cd and see if THAT will work.  I'm guessing that running XP is a lot more responsive... Not really an issue I have 6 gigs of ram tho and a fast computer.

Tags: