Author Topic: Fedora 11 is out!  (Read 5779 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Fedora 11 is out!
« on: June 26, 2009, 10:28:26 AM »
I just upgraded Fedora 10 to 11 today.  It was one of the most effortless OS revision upgrades I've ever done.  After the upgrade, EVERYTHING worked as it did before.  X11, nVidia, network, sound, everything.  It's killed my VMware, but that's because of the new kernel version.  I've been migrating to VirtualBox anyhow, so I'm not too sad since VirtualBox is really starting to work well.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Fedora 11 is out!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »
I run a FC10 box for network manipulation...might have to see if the timing is any better with FC11...works great in 10 as it is so hopefully I can see even better improvement in FC11

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »
The boot time is much improved.  Actually, I was kinda impressed with F10, but it's actually better with F11.  Also, I notice a bit better emulation with Wine and the new kernel.  I can play WoW at 1600x1200 at over 120FPS.  It's pretty damn nice.  Overall, the Fedora fanbois are giving it a thumbs up.  Not much has changed with this new version other than some of these kinds of modifications.  I just loved that my 3D video came up and just worked.  Neato.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
do you use KDE desktop environment?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 01:36:13 PM »
Nope, I use Gnome.  I could never get used to KDE, and with the multimedia upgrades for gnome, I just like it better (document thumbnail previewing, etc.)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline sowizzar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • sowizzar has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 11:53:09 AM »
bit off topic but... I too started using virtualbox over vmware and Boy is it nice!  took me a min or so to figure out how to start the vm headless but after that its a piece of cake  :)

how do you find the performance of VB over Vmware?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 01:17:34 PM »

how do you find the performance of VB over Vmware?

There's no strict benchmarking that I know of.  However, since I've used both of them SOOOO much, I kinda know what's faster and what's not.  I can 100% predict that EVERYTHING in VBox will be slower.  It's nice, but not a performance powerhouse.  Try doing a large file unzip/zip in both to see what I mean.  Also try copying a large file from one drive to another or to a network share.  Yuck.  I've switched back to VMWare for good for new projects.
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: