Author Topic: Oh how I hate Gnome 3!! Gnome3 sucks.  (Read 13995 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Oh how I hate Gnome 3!! Gnome3 sucks.
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
What is it TM you like so much about Linux?

I remember first starting to use Unix back a long time ago in college on a DEC VAX.  What amazed me back then was the multi-tasking abilities.  Also I was amazed by the DECstations with X windows that really presented the first usable desktop environment aside from the early Mac.

I loved Linux because I could get that same feeling by installing Slackware on my 386 PC and get basically the same feeling of using the computers I grew to love at the university.  Plus the open-sourced aspect of Linux is something that one can only appreciate as a positive.

I have 2 of my laptops upgraded to F18.  I think I'm going to keep using Cinnamon.  Fun one.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »
Boy, has Mate and Cinnamon really brought me back into Linux!  I can't begin to say how turned off I was with Gnome 3 and it really effected my want to upgrade or use any of my Linux boxes.  I have upgraded 5 of my Fedora 14 computers to F18 with both of these desktop environments and now I find I'm using them more than my Win7 box.

Now I can only hope that Fedora makes the choice to yank Gnome 3 as the main desktop manager and supplant it with either Mate or Cinnamon.

These two desktop environments (and Fedora for that matter for making them official options) get two thumbs up from me!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
I just installed Linux Mint last week with VMWorkstation to check it out.

For my Linux + Class we're using Debian 6 (which I have installed) but I wanted to try something with a bit more zest. I'm down to 1 PC right now. If I had multiple PCs I think I'd start loading some up with different distros.

As I'm new to this it gets confusing which GUI and desktop is which. Linux Mint is Mate and Cinnamon? This *bleep* gets confusing...bleepin' programmers!  :P

That's one thing when learning about Linux...you can tell right about it's was geared towards programmers.

The Look and feel of Linux Mint is much more on par with a modern OS. It's not like a night and day difference from Win7 where Debian 6 felt totally different.

Tags: