Author Topic: What the heck is going on with "Owned by OSI" IDOCs?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
What the heck is going on with "Owned by OSI" IDOCs?
« on: September 07, 2008, 05:51:38 PM »
I haven't camped IDOCs for a while, so when I buzzed by one of my old runes for an OSI IDOC, I noticed it was decaying finally.  So I got all excited and determined the rough time for it to collapse.  Well, it went through all the stages and finally from collapsing back to refreshed.  From my chatting with 12X, this is happening on more than one shard.  Damned annoying.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 07:45:08 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What the heck is going on with "Owned by OSI" IDOCs?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
Yeah this has been happening for a long time now :(  The OSI houses have been going through the decay stages but instead of collapsing they refresh :(  It's stupid.

Offline talkmill

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • talkmill has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 10:09:51 PM »
Of what i understand this can happen when an account gets banned. Maybe because people have processes regarding their bans?

Offline OMGBurgers

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • OMGBurgers has no influence.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:11 AM »
hate to highjack but how do i tell when i house will fall now? :P

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:29 AM »
I think I remember hearing that they were going to make these fall soon.. but who knows when that will happen.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:09:55 AM »
I've heard the same thing Khameleon, I think I remember one of Jeremy's posts up on UO.com saying something regarding this.

Offline Pearls

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • Pearls barely matters.Pearls barely matters.
  • Respect: +65
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:31 AM »
I had one of those idocs in my book who kept repeating the cycle over and over for months. One day i ran to it, and house was finally gone, i think this was about 2 months back now. I believe you are supposed to report the idocs like this, cos Jeremy simply cant know where all of em are (at least i remember reading this somewhere).
XII : "My happiness as a married man is directly related to the amount of sex I have which, in turn, requires that I pretend I like these movies every now and then and that it really doesn't bother me when she tells me about her problems but doesn't want me to give her a solution ;) "

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 08:10:49 AM »
I've heard the same thing Khameleon, I think I remember one of Jeremy's posts up on UO.com saying something regarding this.

Well they seem to be stuck in a virtual "Ground Hog Day" scenario.  "Rise and shine, campers!!"
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Oracle

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Oracle barely matters.Oracle barely matters.
  • We always want something that we cannot have...!
  • Respect: +97
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:12 AM »
If anyone gets the 'skinny' on what is happening with OSI-Owned IDOCs, please let me and all of us other IDOCer's know.  This is driving me crazy.  I have a runebook full of OSI locations marked that I check often as well and it is driving me crazy too!  Like a horse running after a carrot on a string held by the jockey! So close but I can't grab it!
ORACLE
Get me a Straw...because I suck...!
PIXEL CRACK -- Love it! Crave it! Want it! Got to have it!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
One thing that is absolutely incredible about this whole thing is there was one house I was looking into where I saw nobody until the exact hour when the house reverted to "refreshed" status (I'm talking minutes from the "collapse" too).  So there are people out there that have been camping a house for so long that they have decompiled the refresh cycles so they can pop in during the collapse cycle instead of each decay cycle.  Amazing that there are people that dedicated to the system, as broken as it is.  :o
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:21:44 AM »
When I was really heavy into IDOCs i was all about timing houses down to the very minute but I gave up even messing with stupid OSI houses as I would get so sick and tired of showing up to them and having them refresh :(

Offline Konesky

• Activity:
    0%
  • Konesky has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 12:15:39 AM »
I'm going to weigh in here on what I know. Take this with a grain of salt, it's only from reading and direct observation.

Owned by OSI occurs 2 ways (that I know of)...
1) An account is banned or has some action taken against it and the case is not "closed" on the matter. I've not been banned yet (*knocks on wood*) so I don't know the process but I've heard of people getting unbanned so there must be some appeal process that exists. During the time the account is banned I'm assuming the credit card on file isn't charged so the account goes delinquent (im assuming here) and the house begins to decay. When it would normally fall it goes to OSI status ie "pending"... but as far as I can tell once a house enters that status, they have no code to update it once the case is settled. I may be way off on that but it's how I like to think of it and it seems to make sense.

2) If you've got a vendor house who's parent account is closed, EA can't just let the house drop because the vendors (attached to the sign) would go poof along with all their items, hardly fair for the paying customers of EA. Solution, when a house IDOC's with others vendors still inside, it goes to OSI status. This is to allow the vendor owners the ability to remove items / gold and possibly even the vendors themselves. If the gold the vendor is holding gets used up through vendor fees it will eventually fall and so should the house after the last vendor is gone. What I'm unclear about is if once the last vendor falls if the house will drop instantly, complete the predicted IDOC schedual then drop or get stuck in the perma-OSI state like in the first example.

As Xclio mentioned, a post was published in UOHerald a short time ago asking people to report the locations of old OSI houses via an e-mail to a specific address with shard, facet, coords, house name, etc. It was mentioned the houses would be manually deleted at random times by GM's and would not follow the normal decay cycle. What wasn't clear is the fate of the contents... I suspect the contents of the house fall upon deletion but I've never witnessed it happening nor have I come across a plot with IDOC loot that was formerly occupied by an OSI owned house.

Over the years I've had many full books of OSI owned houses, some have stood for many of those years so my advice is forget about them, spend your resources and time searching for new IDOC's that will drop at a predicted rate. Perhaps check them once a day for the land plot if you're adamant but don't count on getting these items. When I attend an IDOC and it flips to OSI, I walk away and re-write the rune with a new non-osi decaying house.

My $.02

-K

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:23:30 AM »
Report them .. or forget them.  If anyone knows the email address to report them to please post it. I forgot to write it down.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Konesky

• Activity:
    0%
  • Konesky has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 03:22:53 PM »
Here is the link to the original post... took me 20 min to find this stupid thing lol:
http://www.uoherald.com/news/news.php?newsid=392

Here is the content:
OSI Owned Houses
Jeremy Dalberg01 Jul 2008 16:16:51 EST
We're working on removing the masses of OSI-owned houses that are scattered around the shards.  The problem with them - and the reason that they've hung around for so long - is there's no easy way for us to find them, short of wandering around the shards on foot.  But y'all have a LOT more feet than we do, so we're asking for your help!

What we need is the following information in an email (posts on forums, etc, will not be tracked!)
- Sextant location of the house
- Shard/facet
Send to barmstrong AT ea DOT com.  Send in as many or as few as you like - and be aware this will be a gradual process and will take some time.

An update was posted on July 3rd's FoF:
http://www.uoherald.com/fof/fiveonfriday116.php

Content:
"Since you're going to be removing old OSI houses, does that mean there will be a lot of new IDOCs coming?"
No - we're clearing these houses to make room for y'all to place in those spots, but we're not going to run them through the IDOC process. We're also going to be clearing them gradually - and without warning - so what will happen is instead of a huge land rush, you'll just see spaces start to open up over the next few months.
We very much appreciate everyone's help on this, incidentally - we've gotten quite a few emails already and we're confident that with your help, we can open up quite a bit of space for new and bigger houses for our active players.

I'm assuming the email provided will still work, I only say that because the post was by "Jeremy Dalberg" who apparently is no longer with EA... *shrug*

-K

Tags: