Author Topic: Raspberry Pi  (Read 70525 times)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Raspberry Pi
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2012, 08:11:31 PM »
+1
I don't think the problem is the NAS; it streams just fine from my Ion.  I can get it working better by upping the clock rate of the CPU and GPU.  It's almost better, but there are a few things I still need to do.  Unfortunately the battery to my wireless keyboard/mouse died, so I'm charging it now.  Next I'll try to increase the XBMC cache and then serve my NAS as a nfs to avoid the overhead of Samba.

I'm unsure about the HDMI remote thing; but I'm sure I'll be playing with that at some time.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
+1
Just finished imaging the OpenElec version of XBMC onto an SD card so now I'm going downstairs to play with it! Gonna test out the whole remote thing too if I can figure it out!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
+1
Please explain more about the whole TV remote with HDMI thing! I saw some comments on the RPi forums, but didn't realize what they were saying! Does it work for ANY TV with any remote? I have a nice Logitech Harmony remote that I was thinking I might use in place of my Comcast remote and my TV remote. Would that still work?

The Raspberry Pi supports CEC   http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/1839

CEC is a "HDMI feature designed to allow the user to command and control up-to ten CEC-enabled devices, that are connected through HDMI, by using only one of their remote controls (for example by controlling a television set, set-top box, and DVD player using only the remote control of the TV). CEC also allows for individual CEC-enabled devices to command and control each other without user intervention."  Quoted from -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#CEC

So Basically it will work with any remote that works with your televsion provided you televsion implementation of HDMI supports CEC protocols, which i should imagine is almost every tv as its been an optional compontent of hdmi since version 1.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 10:13:09 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
+1
Well I have a 32" Samsung (gotta look up the exact model number) and I could not for the life of me get it to work with the TV remote. I even went under the settings in XBMC and tried "Remote device as key presses" (or something like that). I'll have to see if it's an issue with my TV, device, remote or what!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 12:51:02 PM »
+1
I think I'm getting closer to fixing the stuttering images in 1080p.  Looks like there is not hardware DTS support, so I'm trying a rip with just standard stereo.  Judging from the forums, this seems to be a big contributor to the framing issues at 1080p.  At this moment, I've overclocked the CPU and GPU as well as the memory and that has helped.  I've also expanded the cache for XBMC to around 30MB.  Simply switching to dolby in XBMC seemed to help a bit, but it would still stutter from time to time.

One other thing I'm going to try is to take my new 3TB drive and share it as a nfs share.  People claim there's alot of CPU overhead with SMB, so this is a way to combat that.  It's getting better though.

One other issue.  I bought the MPEG2 codecs and can now play .VOB files, but the RPi version of XBMC won't play the files contiguously.  I basically have to play the individual 30 minute chuncks to make the way through a movie.  This doesn't happen on my Windows 7 Nvidia Ion2 box, so this is just probably a setup issue on my part or the part of this build of XBMC for the RPi.  Probably can figure that out though, but there is not real help on the webz at this point.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »
+1
Well I have a 32" Samsung (gotta look up the exact model number) and I could not for the life of me get it to work with the TV remote. I even went under the settings in XBMC and tried "Remote device as key presses" (or something like that). I'll have to see if it's an issue with my TV, device, remote or what!

Check if that tv supports CEC over HDMI,  both tvs ive tried it on worked without any configing needed, using OpenELec version of XBMC. But both Tvs are new with in the last 6month (Toshiba and sony)
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 05:13:39 PM »
+1
My 32" Vizio smart TV does support CEC over HDMI. Never heard of this before so I am learning alot with all this new project stuff.

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2012, 11:40:29 AM »
+1
I checked and got mixed results about my TV. It's a Samsung LN32C350D1DZXA (Version CN01). If you go to Samsung's site it says something about "2010" version (which is when I got mine). The confusion is that some have the ZXA at the end and some don't, but I couldn't find anything about the difference or if that's just a lot number of something. I upgraded the firmware on the TV to the latest version as well and it does list CEC support on the TV, however it is still not working on the RPi. My only thought is that I'm using an older HDMI cable (but since CEC has been around since v1.0, I doubt it would be that).

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 06:47:27 AM »
+1
I checked and got mixed results about my TV. It's a Samsung LN32C350D1DZXA (Version CN01). If you go to Samsung's site it says something about "2010" version (which is when I got mine). The confusion is that some have the ZXA at the end and some don't, but I couldn't find anything about the difference or if that's just a lot number of something. I upgraded the firmware on the TV to the latest version as well and it does list CEC support on the TV, however it is still not working on the RPi. My only thought is that I'm using an older HDMI cable (but since CEC has been around since v1.0, I doubt it would be that).

Considering CEC was an optional component its quiet possibleyour old cable doesnt support it, sounds like thats the only thing left to try.

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 06:56:58 AM »
+1
Well I went ahead and ordered a ZyXEL NSA320 NAS ($99.99 from Amazon) for my setup. Should be here by Friday or early next week. I'm now thinking about getting a 2nd RPi, one for our bedroom and one for the family room and then syncing them via the NAS (or something like that) so that I can pause a movie in one room and pick it up in another!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
+1
That NAS has a dizzying number of features.  So far it's been perfect.  Out of the box it didn't support my 3TB drives, but after I applied the firmware update, it worked perfectly with my WD greenies.  I still have video jitter at 1080p, but I'm pretty much certain that's a function of the RPi living at the edge vs. any kind of network latency.  I still need to try the shared NFS.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 12:09:39 PM »
+1
Well I went ahead and ordered a ZyXEL NSA320 NAS ($99.99 from Amazon) for my setup. Should be here by Friday or early next week. I'm now thinking about getting a 2nd RPi, one for our bedroom and one for the family room and then syncing them via the NAS (or something like that) so that I can pause a movie in one room and pick it up in another!

BTW, here's something about syncing multiples.  Might get you started:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Setting_up_XBMC

lots of features possible with editing your advancedsettings.xml file.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:22 PM »
+1
Still no luck trying to get the RPi to be completely free of buffering.  I even tried it on my 60" plasma (from a web suggestion).  Still no luck.  I upgraded the CompactFlash to a class 10 device without effect.  So the problem is definitely CPU based.  Hrm.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xanderyum

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Xanderyum has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
+1
http://cubieboard.org/
OC to 1.5 ghz more Ram has anyone seen this one?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2012, 08:26:24 AM »
+1
http://cubieboard.org/
OC to 1.5 ghz more Ram has anyone seen this one?

Looks interesting.. but no pricing information that i could find and not availble yet.  Looks like a Chinese biz man saw the pi and recognized a market.  worth keeping an eye on for sure.

Tags: