Author Topic: Scripting Help..any suggestions?  (Read 8236 times)

Offline ValethTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Valeth has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Scripting Help..any suggestions?
« on: January 16, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
Okay, I've decided that I want to learn a little about scripting. The problem is I dont know where to begin this journey. I dont know which is best whether its C++ or C# or whatever else is out there and their differences. I'm not looking into doing this as a profession, I would just like to be able to read and understand the majority of the scripts I find here and perhaps write one of my own in the distant future. Can anyone explain how to go about this process?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:39:21 AM by Valeth »
Courage is not the absence of fear. Its doing whats right in the presence of fear.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Scripting Help..any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 11:42:06 AM »
Check out the script tutorial section of the forum here: http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?board=17.0

I'm trying to learn in my free time as well and I've found it's a great place to start. I recommend going through Cerveza's tutorials in order. Also watch what the scripts that you do, do. (I said doodoo) See what the code looks like when you mine, open a chest, etc.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
I appreciate the response and I've already copied all of his lessons onto my desktop but what kind of code is that? C++ or C#? I'm considering going and buying one of those "for dummies" books on scripting and I'd like to know which one will serve me best.
Courage is not the absence of fear. Its doing whats right in the presence of fear.

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 03:08:02 PM »
I appreciate the response and I've already copied all of his lessons onto my desktop but what kind of code is that? C++ or C#? I'm considering going and buying one of those "for dummies" books on scripting and I'd like to know which one will serve me best.

I have zero clue as to what kind of code it is.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 07:32:30 PM »
Valeth just something to help out a little.  This we do here is scripting not really associated with programming.  Good programming skills will help you with scripting but they are 2 almost different animals.
Scripts run from an interpreter and programs run with there own self executing code.

Offline rana70

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
Okay, I've decided that I want to learn a little about scripting. The problem is I dont know where to begin this journey. I dont know which is best whether its C++ or C# or whatever else is out there and their differences. I'm not looking into doing this as a profession, I would just like to be able to read and understand the majority of the scripts I find here and perhaps write one of my own in the distant future. Can anyone explain how to go about this process?

Hi,

I would recommand to start out with a smaler script you like to use and take it virtually appart.
TM made a great script editor and it is posted here on the side so you can download it.
If you use his SUO Editor you wll have highlighted commands and you can easily use the build
in links to the command reference on te EUO WebSite. The only thing you can't do right now
is running the script in his editor.

I learned also a lot by watching what the script does by using the F7 key in EUO .. it is a kind of
step-by-step mode and I just followed the code while it did his work.

btw nice helmet that you have there :-)
cu

Offline DeadIssue2

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • DeadIssue2 has no influence.
  • Respect: +21
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »
I consider myself a beginner at best and what I have done is this:

1) I actually printed out the Documentation PDF from EZUO. This explains what everything is and does. However doesn't actually explain very well.
2) Find small scripts and pull it apart line by line and figure out what every line is telling the script to do. So that you can use them for what ever purpose you want later.
3) Read every Tutorial on SUO and EZUO, and when its up WINUO. ( I hope TM doesn't have a problem with me mentioning those sites)
4) ASK EVERYONE WHO WILL LISTEN TO EXPLAIN WHAT IT MEANS. And don't sit there and ask "hey script me this" that's not asking for help. I mean have a question and you will get an answer. Post the question and see how many different explanations you get. One of them WILL make sense to you.
5)Start small, if you go for the big leagues and fail you will stop. Start with very simple almost macro level scripts first then let it grow.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:00:31 AM »
I hope TM doesn't have a problem with me mentioning those sites)

You can talk about whatever site you want.  We're not here to compete; we're here to help the scripting community and the general UO fans themselves.  We even have links to most of the mentioned site in the LINKS section.  If anyone knows of additional useful UO fan sites they'd like to see in there, please let me know.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'm gonna try making a script for my ABC archer. Maybe something that honors the closest enemy and then keeps lightning strike going.

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 03:28:31 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I guess I'm gonna try making a script for my ABC archer. Maybe something that honors the closest enemy and then keeps lightning strike going.

You mean like this? :)

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2166.msg29264#msg29264

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »

You mean like this? :)

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2166.msg29264#msg29264

Yes, just like that lol. It does look quite impressive. It'll most likely be some time before I can download it though so I figured I can make one for the meantime.

Scrripty

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 05:50:45 PM »
You mean, download it like THIS?

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2658.msg20131

Sweet, I had read about it but I didnt know there was a non elite version out there. Thanks alot Twinkle McNugget!
+karma!

Scrripty

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
You mean, download it like THIS?

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?topic=2658.msg20131

Sweet, I had read about it but I didnt know there was a non elite version out there. Thanks alot Twinkle McNugget!
+karma!

Just post feedback.  That's all any of us really ask.  Anything you notice that would be better.  But make SURE to browse the threads first so you aren't talking about things we've already gone over. :)

Offline Mindoza

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Mindoza has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 04:13:24 AM »
Im new to this site and this program entirely. Gonna be researching intensely over the coming weeks!  ;)

Tags: