0 (0%)
Samsung Infuse 4G
1 (6.7%)
Samsung Galaxy S II (Skyrocket)
5 (33.3%)
Other - Remarks Required
5 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: Which smartphone should I get?  (Read 15107 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Which smartphone should I get?
« on: January 28, 2012, 03:51:29 PM »
+1
Pick up to three top choices. If you select "Other" please post a reply with your unlisted choice.

The phones are listed in alphabetic order.

BTW, the HTC Freestyle I got myself for Christmas should be called the HTC "Oops, system error" because I see that on screen more than anything else. It's a BREW OS phone that brewed too darn long if you ask me. Between resets and reboots it's pretty cool LOL, unfortunately that's not much operational time.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Which smartphone should I get?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
+1
The infuse is a good phone and has a lot of options and works fast, BUT the OS crashes atleast once daily and takes alot longer than it should to reboot and you can loose a lot of important calls during its reboot time.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 06:06:46 PM »
+1
I have the Verizon offering (Rezound) and I can definitely say I'm super impressed with it.  The display is simply georgeous and puts my girlies iPhone 4s to shame.  It's fast as hell and ready for ICS that'll be released very soon for it.  I'm a 3rd generation HTC phone owner, and this one is simply the best yet.  My last phone (the Incredible) survived multiple drownings in the washing machine, and is still on hot-standby as my backup phone.  I've already dropped this Rezound a couple times on hard surface (without a case) and there's not even a scuff.

Never a lockup so far.  I just love the phone.

So my vote is for the Vivid.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 06:09:24 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 06:41:57 PM »
+1
I know have the galaxy and I am super impressed with it and very happy with the screen size and speed, but I am with TM that HTC is one of the best phone makers out there !! I have had HTC wizard, Tilt, incredible and they where all well built, great fast and took many hits and kept on going !!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
+1
I worked at Radioshack for 5+ years (finally quit last year) and can definitely recommend the Galaxy S II Skyrocket. First, I have the regular Galaxy S II. The phone itself is incredible! I have stopped using my 7" Galaxy Tab and use my phone for nearly everything now. Screen quality is excellent, speeds are great (I live in the Baltimore/Washington D.C. metro area so I have HSPA+ 4G pretty much everywhere) The LTE should be even nicer for you! It's also incredibly thin (granted I had an HTC Hero before it and a Palm Tree 700wx before that). It easily makes it through a whole day on its battery and that includes using it via bluetooth in my car, browsing the web, occasional GPS, and of course some games and reading the news. My ONLY complaint is that the maximum call volume could be a little bit better (this is only when you're holding it up to your ear, the speakerphone is pretty decent). I used to love HTC phones, but the software has become problematic for a lot of people and the phones are a little heavier. The Samsung is an all-plastic body, but it doesn't feel cheap. I believe the Galaxy SII's all use Corning's Gorilla Glass, but I could be wrong.

And if me saying it isn't enough, my wife tells me I'm now addicted to my phone so maybe that gives you some context for my opinion of the Galaxy SII!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 08:09:05 PM »
+1
Preliminary Results pit the Skyrocket and Vivid.

Both are about equal in most areas with the Skyrocket holding the definite battery advantage. I personally prefer the HTC interface. One thing that glares is that Samsung doesn't put radios in their phones? I really like listening to live radio - not streaming - when I'm out and around... like walking the dog or something.

I guess streaming might not be that bad. Just something I thought was interesting.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Newsman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • Newsman has no influence.
  • Respect: +38
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37:06 PM »
+1
cliched as it is, the iphone.  The apps are better and apps are the reason you get a smart phone.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
+1
cliched as it is, the iphone.  The apps are better and apps are the reason you get a smart phone.

Incorrect statement!! If you look for andriod and compatable apps besides just the ones you get from the manufactures there are billions of apps out there for the androids.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
+1
Lol, plus who wants to join the mindless throng of iPhone users.  Not I.  :)  

Really though, after seeing the iPhone 4s screen side by side to my Rezound, that was kinda eye-opening.  Plus with my Beats audio enhancement, I just love the way my music sounds now, especially through my Shure headphones.  It's luscious.  I was going to get a Zune until I got this phone.  Not anymore - this phone does everything. 

I have a couple micro-sd cards with music (32g and 16g).  I kinda like the fact that I can have spare batteries and removable memory.  Apple lost me LONG ago with the inability to do anything other than use what they give you.  My buddy bought an iPad for his wife without realizing the draconian decree from Apple, "Thou shall not upgrade".  He took it back and got his money back.  Classic.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:43:39 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
+1
One thing I did that I kinda like is upgrade the UI.  I was using the SPB Shell 3d on my windows phone, and they introduced this for Android.  It's got some nifty features not found in HTC Sense.  I love Sense, but there are nice features in Shell 3d also.  I think they have a free trial, and then it's only $15 to buy.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
+1
I just bought three android and three blackberry and threw them all on an ATT business contract. I am going to be using them to test software for the next year. Half of my dev team, including me, have iphones, so I only had to buy one more of those. My wife made the phone decision and I had a blackberry from work pre-smart phone, so I have never used an android phone before. Wish I had read it before went out and bought them all so that I could have picked up the phones you were considering. Looks like I bought a couple of PantechP9070s running Android version 2.3.5.

My developers seem to like building for android, followed closely by iPhone. They don't seem to care much for blackberry.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
+1
I agree with your developers, the Android SDK is pretty cool.  Plus not having to adhere to the Apple standards is a nice feature.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
+1
Considering I've written apps for both, I can say that Android apps are MUCH nicer...the only thing that was "easier" with iPhone apps is that you can used absolute positioning on the screen because you know it can only be used on two different devices, iPhone and iPad. With Android, you have to make sure your layout looks good on ALL screen sizes (of which there are millions). Android gives you some good tools to do this, but it can be a little overwhelming sometimes when making a good layout.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:53 PM »
+1
Anyone know of any good smartphone engineering magazines I can subscribe to? I want to start reading up on the technology so that I can know enough to make sure I am taking advantage of everything I available.

On that subject, I am looking for an engineer with smartphone design knowledge to consult with me on a few things.  Off the top of my head I am interested in learing more about using a wireless node system for GPS indoors, rebroadcasting wifi phone to phone, and on using the FM chip in phones for data transfer. FM chip is typically deactivated in most phones in the US. I would like to explore activating it and using it for data transfer in emergencies.

If this stuff sounds interesting and you have the background to discuss it with me, please give me a PM and we can take the conversation offline.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 08:26:38 PM »
+1
I have the background, but not the time...I can however say that there's really no need to subscribe to magazines nowadays...If you just need to stay current with tech (and get plenty of opinionated people too) just read gizmodo.com or a similar site like that.

As for your questions:
- Probably no need for a wireless node system for indoor gps. The phones automatically attempt to use the GPS chip first, if they dont get a signal, then it switches to cellular triangulation, then if that fails, it does a HUGE generic-location based on a wifi IP address. Even if you just mesh with other users, you can't get a good location-fix due to signal degradation caused by all different materials. Let the phones/tablets do the work for you!
- As for rebroadcasting wifi from phone to phone, a lot of the newer phones (such as my Galaxy SII) have the ability to do Wifi direct. It is purely a software-based wifi standard so technically any phone can use it, it's just that a lot of manufacturer's don't supply the drivers for it. This is probably your best option in the coming year or two
- FM chips in phones are usually disabled and without rooting or jailbreaking (in the case of Android and iPhone) your users would not even have access too it. Plus, not all phones DO have the chips in them. Probably not a good option for you since the amount of phones that MIGHT be able to use it would be severely small and limited.

Just my two cents. I'm more than happy to elaborate in the forum thread or if you can catch me sometime, I can hop in vent or icq or something.

Tags: smartphone