Author Topic: Another Old Head coming back for a while....  (Read 4258 times)

Offline whatsinanameTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • whatsinaname has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Another Old Head coming back for a while....
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:38 PM »
Hello All,

After a long vacation from UO, I'm back...and lost as ****(edit)!  So much has changed in the 4-5 years or so I have been gone.  

I just want to make sure before I get too far into this that scripting is OK with OSI/EA as long as it's not unattended?

I was looking at some of the available scripts and I like what I see as long as I don't get banned for using them.  I look forward to seeing some of you in the game.  

Take Care.

I thought I would edit my bad language out above.  After reading more and more on this site I thought you deserve a little better intro outta me.

I started playing UO in about '99 through about '04 with a short break in between.  I had to quit because it was consuming me was the first thing I did when I woke up in the morning and fell asleep to the next morning.  As I have read about others, my marriage was suffering and it was time to go.  I really like playing mage/bard and nox/mage.  I love PVP but unfortunately it's not my strong suit and all the time I spend smithing/thunting/PVMing making money I would loose it PVPing - but have fun doing it! Now with the whole insurance thing it may help a little  ;D
I will not be a post prude, You'll learn more about me as I do about yall.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 07:00:55 PM by whatsinaname »

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Another Old Head coming back for a while....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:56:58 PM »
I am pretty sure that the only program that is okay with OSI is uoassist which is a macro program, not scripting.

Offline Arch_Mage

• Activity:
    0%
  • Arch_Mage has no influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 07:07:59 PM »
yeah and a few other programs if you wanna know what is actually legal according to OSI i think on uo.stratics.com somewhere there is a list saying what is legal and whats not

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
Thanks for the additional info!  Any little bit here and there definitely can accelerate ones unrestriction.   We try to run a more adult site here; you'll notice that many of the Elites here are 20+ and some are 40+ (myself included), so thank you for your edit.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the goodies!

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:42:17 PM »
I am rapidly approaching 40 myself (35).  I think that's why I like UO as much as I do, the crowd does seem to be older.  What kids like to play a game with such "bad" graphics.  I tried WOW and Guild Wars - prettier? yes.  More in depth? Not even close. 

Do you have any kind of count of the number of people that get their accounts flagged while scripting?  Any tips on the best way to go about it so it isn't obvious?  I will not do anything unattended.  But I can't afford to have my account banned too much time invested.  All the hard work is done - grinding.... But the IDOC thing is very appealing to me.

Thanks

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 09:52:08 AM »
I have talked to many a GM's when they have come to meet me for scripting.  As long as you are at the keyboard while scripting and can answer the questions they ask they have always left me alone afterwords.

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
We try to run a more adult site here; you'll notice that many of the Elites here are 20+ and some are 40+ (myself included), so thank you for your edit.

:::::SNIFF::::::

I guess I can be counted in the 40+ since your being so nice about it...
but I think I am the only 50+ Elite...and one of the very Few 50+ posters here period!!!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »
Na TT, Gimlet has you beat.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 08:11:14 AM »
Scripting by UO policy is definatly against the rules .. and if someone were to be hard nosed about it bannable wheather your attented or not.

But in reality .. if your attended and can answer questions your generally fine... but dont make it obvious your scripting .. ie dont script in luna bank... if you need to do something at a bank choose a out of the way unused/barly used bank.

Just try to be a little bit discreete about things.  Its not really the Gms you need worry about thier just doing thier jobs responding to pages .. some people out thier get thier kicks from trying to get people banned.  Those you need to try and aviod.  I dont believe the GMs who are probably overworked and underpaid actively go out and look for scripters anymore.. they just respond to pages.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Scrripty

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »
Thanks for the additional info!  Any little bit here and there definitely can accelerate ones unrestriction.   We try to run a more adult site here; you'll notice that many of the Elites here are 20+ and some are 40+ (myself included), so thank you for your edit.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the goodies!

39+ here. :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 10:16:25 AM »

Just try to be a little bit discreete about things. 

The right there is just about the best advice you can get.  Most people run the stock scripts without changing anything.  So for the heartwood quester, it looks like there only one person in heartwood until you notice there's like 5 bugs parked on the exact spot crafting away.  If you use a lumberjacker, I'd steer clear of the recall ones unless you can find a totally secluded area to script it.  Recalling to one tree, chopping it and recalling away just oooozes "scriptiness"!

Being the uber-scripter I turned into, I rarely script AFK.  There's too many people out there that break the TOS in a different way by griefing and harassing the person running the script.  Somehow they feel that directly impacting another players gameplay is in some way justified because they "think" that person is scripting and breaking the rules.  I'm not sure they even realize they are breaking the rules at a potentially greater level. 
Come play RIFT with me!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for posting!  I kinda had the same thoughts about not being a dummy and scripting right in the open - it's surprising to see the number of people that I suspect as scripting right out in the open.  Long ago I would do the whole 8x8 thing in the water with in-game macros and a couple of times I had GM's appear on my boat with No problems. I would assume with the decline in UO gamers makes it not such a priority - the less people playing, the less money OSI/EA makes. 

I briefly attempted to get the idoc thing to work the other night but I couldn't seem to get the script running.  About to attempt a different one, hopefully I can make it work this time.

I for one will not do unattended stuff - unless you count sitting in the pc chair watchin' COPS unattended  :P

Offline Winker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Winker has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 03:15:09 AM »
We try to run a more adult site here; you'll notice that many of the Elites here are 20+ and some are 40+ (myself included), so thank you for your edit.

:::::SNIFF::::::

I guess I can be counted in the 40+ since your being so nice about it...
but I think I am the only 50+ Elite...and one of the very Few 50+ posters here period!!!

42 and climing

Tags: