Author Topic: Hail and well met! I hadn't said that in over a decade...  (Read 2786 times)

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Hail and well met! I hadn't said that in over a decade...
« on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
Hello everyone, this is my introduction post. I registered a couple of weeks ago but have been playing the game during my free 30 day "welcome back" period to see if I REALLY wanted to come back to UO after over 10 years of being away from it.

Well, the question has been answered: HECK YES I'M BACK! In fact I wish I never left, this is my gaming story/history.

Back in 1998 I was working the night shift at a tech company and my nights off were quite boring at times, everyone in the house would be asleep and the city has little to do after the witching hour... but I was wide awake. That's when I found UO and fell in love with it. I had played command and conquer before UO so I wasn't completely new to playing online but nothing compared to UO, I was addicted.

My fondest memories are of UO without trammel, without being able to lock down your possessions and before there was even an item decay mechanic in the game. I'm the type of player that takes the time to set up my account perfectly to accomplish my goals, I don't care if it takes me a day, week, month or even longer of "work" before finally being able to do something in game, I'm relentless!

I left UO to play DAoC, which in my opinion was the worlds best at PvP on a mass scale. Siege warfare for keeps and castles never got old(hint, hint, OSI!). When they basically killed DAoC with the Atlantis expansion by forcing ungodly amounts of grinding for gear and then having to level the gear afterwards, insanity! I jumped into Warcraft but never found the same excitement I had experienced during the early days of UO.

I took EA's 30 day free play for returning players offer last month and... I'M BACK! My philosophy on scripting is to consider it an aid, not a "do it for me" tool. I don't do unattended and find it a bit silly to pay to NOT play, lol. There are some tasks in UO which are so tedious and lengthy that I can't imagine doing those the grindy way, especially since I had once done them all before(skill gains).

I know a little about coding, but not much, and so look forward to reading your ideas.

Cheers!

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
    • View Profile
Re: Hail and well met! I hadn't said that in over a decade...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 01:55:42 AM »
Awesome!  Welcome back!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 06:04:23 AM »
Thank you for the good read, and welcome back! Appreciate you putting some thought and effort into your intro! Restricted status is lifted and you are free to roam around! Hope to see you active on the boards!
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
Welcome back to UO.
 Always like it  reading intro from returning play,  Lot had change in 10 years.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 07:47:26 AM »
Welcome!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 07:54:41 AM »
...My philosophy on scripting is to consider it an aid, not a "do it for me" tool. ...

That's pretty much the philosophy here as well.  Most of the things we publish here are really just to aid normal gameplay.  HW Quester, lumberjackers, and miners may break that rule a bit, but the grind of resource gathering can be so annoying that it prevents other parts of the game from being enjoyed.  My Mom is probably the only person in the world that actually *likes* running into the forest or mountains to mine or lumberjack.  OCD at its worst!  Lol, welcome!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +206
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 08:44:54 AM »
Welcome to SUO!

Offline Cstalker

• Google Slut
  • ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cstalker has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 11:31:11 AM »
Welcome to ScriptUO site. I see you made it over here.

Offline GemviperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 01:41:52 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. Yes I did, Cstalker, I seem to have worked my way through many scripts from the easyuo site now to help train my account back up. I had sold my main account to a friend when I left and lost touch with him not too long after. Each time I worked on a tradeskill I thought I'll fine tune the script to my liking and work it hard until my bank balance is up again but after hitting GM I'd move onto the next script, and the next, lol. I'm working up my old house placer account now, it as virtually skill free  8)

I struck it rich at an Idoc already, or at least rich enough that my account is no longer hindered for good items to train with. I found a container full of gold checks and a couple of nice(but not uncommon) expensive rares to sell and now I own a tower filled with all I need, anything more is icing at this point.

I am a bit of a Robin Hood type player, I try to help those that need helping in game. I have a vendor that I dump items worth less than 50k on but he can't be found on Vendor Search and all his items are free. If I see someone asking for someone to make a house decoration or whatever else the vendor may hold I give them a rune. If I was in a guild I'd probably drop off all the things I don't need there too if people could use them. I don't, however, plan to add ICQ back to my computer... too distracting and you end up sitting around chatting instead of getting things done, lol. I'm not sure I'll guild up this time around, time will tell.

Hopefully my scripting skills pick up and I can be of help here too. For now thanks for all of the help, I hope I can return the favor in time.

Offline Cstalker

• Google Slut
  • ScriptUO Beta Tester
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cstalker has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
Well now that you are over here I highly suggest you check out Stealth. It is AWESOME!!! once you figure out how to use it. I am in the baby stage of it but it beats easyuo or OpenEUO in what it can do. I still use a good many EUO for stuff, but that's because I know that backwards and forwards, but I have seen the power of it. It is what i hoped OpenEUO was going to be.

Sorry. Been wanting to say that to a scripter for a while, but i wont promote it on the other site for respect of what Cheffe has done for us over the years. That and years ago I got spanked for mentioning ScriptUO over there. Just think what they would do to me if i used the Stealth word over there.

Tags: