Author Topic: OEUO is buggy buggy crap  (Read 3631 times)

Offline NObamaTopic starter

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
OEUO is buggy buggy crap
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:59:16 PM »
Sorry, just frustrated.  I'm going through the very first tutorial, and of the two example scripts:

- First one doesn't work
- Second one crashes OEUO

Jeez, Cheffe.  Some QA maybe?

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: OEUO is buggy buggy crap
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
my casting script i posted is a decent example for some basic casting, and how to use functions/read skills.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 08:12:52 PM »
Thanks, manwinc, I'll check it out.

But seriously...before, I could do this:

Code: [Select]
finditem POF C_ , #BACKPACKID
msg #FINDID #FINDTYPE #FINDCOL $

Now, to do the same thing, I have to do THIS?

Code: [Select]
local ignorelist = {}
findtype = function(typ, source)
  ncnt = UO.ScanItems(true)
  for nindex = 0,(ncnt-1) do
    local nid,ntype,nkind,ncontid,nx,ny,nz,nstack,nrep,ncol = UO.GetItem(nindex)
    if ntype == typ and ignorelist[nid] == nil then
      if source == nil or ( source ~= nil and source == ncontid ) then
        return {nid,ntype,nkind,ncontid,nx,ny,nz,nstack,nrep,ncol}
      end
    end
  end
  return nil
end

local gold = findtype(3821,UO.BackpackID)
if gold ~= nil then
  UO.Msg(gold[1]..' '..gold[2]..' '..gold[10]..'\013\010')
end

YGBFSM

:o

Offline Khameleon

• Script Tester - Team Leader
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 30
  • Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!Khameleon is a rising star!
  • Respect: +238
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 02:27:39 PM »
talk about a step backwards...

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 03:45:04 PM »
talk about a step backwards...

Its a massive step forwards... its just harder for the layman.  But use known scripters library files and your lifes will be easier.. TMs Mine, Kals, Snicker7 ... before you know it thier will be tons of code making it easier than it ever was to write script.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 03:46:59 PM »
Right now it does look like this is a step backward but if you look at the big picture. OEUO if and when it is finished will be so mobile and you will be able to make packages and commands of your own. This in part will make writing scripts down the road a few commands and some new changes and viola you have a new halloween collector because you used the recall, heal, and collection functions you already had made.

It will be awesome once we have a function base built up.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 03:48:37 PM by Masscre »

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:27 PM »
I'm starting to see the potential, but as that "layman" I'm still crying.  I could at least contribute to EUO scripts.  Now, I'll be nothing but a moocher for a year or more.

Offline DrunkenSailor

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • DrunkenSailor has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:20:47 PM »
if and when it is finished... will make writing scripts down the road a few commands... will be awesome once we have a function base built up....

Herein lies the problem. The true wealth of EUO is the existing script base, and the fact that it is working NOW, and relatively easy for a non-programmer to work with NOW.

OEUO is incomplete, unstable, and currently worthless in relation to the YEARS of effort put into the current script base. Instead of doing a minor update on EUO as a stopgap until OEUOs emulator is working, he basically tells his entire user base "tough *bleep* and have a nice day". He's strong arming his entire user base to migrate to something that MAYBE 5-10% want, and the rest are being pissed on.

Does anyone here truly believe for one second that he's not capable of doing the same thing AGAIN later down the road if it suits him? Anyone that converts their scripts over to OEUO, provided that it's even stable enough to use in the near term is asking for it. If he screws his user base once, he'll do it again. And there's not a damn thing you'll be able to do next time either. He pulled something similar with EUOX if I recall. That was a minor speed bump compared to this temper tantrum.

What the community needs are multiple tools, so that when one prick gives them the finger they can migrate to something else and give him the finger right back. You see this kind of petty tyrant bs in the open source world to, but there it normally results in a fork and an F YOU!

Which is what's needed here.

Scrripty

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:02:52 PM »
I'm sorry, but imo this is not the forum for venting.  If you're unhappy fine, but you have no other choice than to live with it or move on.  So do one of those 2 things please.  We've heard enough whining and the rest of the site is starting to adopt to the changes.  You should start doing that too.  You have absolutely no control over the situation,  so dropping tears and cussing is not going to help you.  Go read some lua docs and learn to use oeuo... that's the option atm.  The only one.

Offline ZigZagZebra

• Activity:
    0%
  • ZigZagZebra has no influence.
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »
Yeaa I've been reading a lot on lua myself. As a chemistry major its overwhelming, and I'm having a hard time justifying it in light of all my work, but from what I've seen and correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm brand spankin new to scripting, but it appears that it will be easier to make a script that access other lua files with their existing variables. Everything looks so long tho! Its really a cluster!

Hopin someday I wont be considered a "leecher"  :'(

Offline DrunkenSailor

• Activity:
    0%
  • DrunkenSailor has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 08:29:34 PM »
The only one.

Actually there is always more than one choice.

Thanks for the pep talk though. I'm all better now.  ;)

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:43 PM »
if and when it is finished... will make writing scripts down the road a few commands... will be awesome once we have a function base built up....

Herein lies the problem. The true wealth of EUO is the existing script base, and the fact that it is working NOW, and relatively easy for a non-programmer to work with NOW.

OEUO is incomplete, unstable, and currently worthless in relation to the YEARS of effort put into the current script base. Instead of doing a minor update on EUO as a stopgap until OEUOs emulator is working, he basically tells his entire user base "tough *bleep* and have a nice day". He's strong arming his entire user base to migrate to something that MAYBE 5-10% want, and the rest are being pissed on.

Does anyone here truly believe for one second that he's not capable of doing the same thing AGAIN later down the road if it suits him? Anyone that converts their scripts over to OEUO, provided that it's even stable enough to use in the near term is asking for it. If he screws his user base once, he'll do it again. And there's not a damn thing you'll be able to do next time either. He pulled something similar with EUOX if I recall. That was a minor speed bump compared to this temper tantrum.

What the community needs are multiple tools, so that when one prick gives them the finger they can migrate to something else and give him the finger right back. You see this kind of petty tyrant bs in the open source world to, but there it normally results in a fork and an F YOU!

Which is what's needed here.

DrunkenSailor I totally agree as I'm sure so do many of others. It would be nice if there was another 'ball' out there to play with. UOMaddog suggested the very same thing. The reality of putting something like that together is it's own monster given the time and talents required for such an endeavor.

@Twinkle McNugget - This is absolutely the right forum for venting. People have every right to blow off some steam given the circumstances on how the transition is being handled.

Scrripty

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:30:37 PM »
Yea but I'm sure dropping f bombs isn't a very constructive way of venting.  It does no good to whine about it.  Get on board or dont.  That's the options.  Why whine about it?  It's not going to do you, or me, any good.  If anyone has a right to whine I'm sure I do, I just finished a script that could solo afk any spawn in the game, while looting, including champ spawns, and also a fully featured plant tender...  Do you see me crying about it?  I'll be tending them plants and workin them spawns again within a week.  If I can do it, any one of you can do it easily.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.8%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 10:50:22 PM »
We can quit picking at this scab anytime.  I was willing to give everyone a little time to vent and rebut, but we got what we've got.  Cheffe's got his mind made up, so we just have to start swimming from the sunken ship and hope there's going to be a better one waiting.  But the provocation/rebuttal stuff has just gotta stop.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: