Author Topic: Now for something completely different...  (Read 8502 times)

Offline BookwyrmTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Now for something completely different...
« on: June 05, 2013, 01:25:51 PM »
As those of you that have looked at my profile name may have guessed, I love books. I have been a voracious reader since elementary school and have always had unrestricted access to all Libraries wherever I have gone to school and/or lived.

Saying that, I am by far and away most well read in the Science Fiction and Fantasy Genre.

What I am looking for here is a discussion on your favorite book/series of books.

My favorites? Fantasy would have to be The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon. This is an incredible trilogy that has had some solid stories added to it in recent years.

SciFi would have to be Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. It stands up quite well for a science fiction book written in the 60's.

So what are your favorites or what do you think about my choices?
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Now for something completely different...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 02:21:52 PM »
My all time favorite fantasy series is The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (Brandon Sanderson)

http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/index.php

In fact now days any book by Brandon Sanderson (Especially the way of kings series)
are my favorites!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 03:19:51 PM »
My all time favorite fantasy series is The Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan (Brandon Sanderson)

http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/index.php

In fact now days any book by Brandon Sanderson (Especially the way of kings series)
are my favorites!

I was incredibly pleased with the way Sanderson stepped in and handled the rest of the series. It was a huge relief to finally be able to finish a series that I started reading when I was a Freshman in High School. Have you read Sanderson's Mistborn series? They are excellent as well. And he has a couple of standalones that we also quite good.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 03:41:39 PM »
I started reading that series back when the moon was 2x closer to the earth!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 03:55:30 PM »
I remember slogging through those 2-3 books in the middle of the series where the 900 page monster covered less than a full week of the story. It was murder. If I had not been so heavily invested in that series I would have walked away from it.

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 05:00:14 PM »
I have read all of Sandersons book - except for the one I bought brand new last week. - Boy can that guy pump out the books!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 05:35:46 PM »
Not to mention that the last I had heard he was still a Professor of Lit at BYU.
Only author I can recall hearing of that put out more than him was Asimov. But Asimov was just a freak and did nothing but write from the time he got up until he went to bed.

By the way Gimlet. What did you think of the Alloy of Law. I have not read it yet. (I was put off by the premise of moving the timeline to an industrial age).

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 07:59:07 PM »
Its different from the 3 mist born books since it takes place a lot latter. I think however you will really like it once you start but realize that mist born no longer exist (ie people with all the powers) - I really liked it.
And it is more like a western than an industrial society.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:02:57 AM »
And it is more like a western than an industrial society.
Wouldn't be the first book with misleading copy on the back. I will give it a try then.

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »
Ok.. a Topic I could post on and not stop typing for a day!

Mist Born (Alloy of Law).   I've read them all & if that's the one where a guy slows down time around him it was pretty good... OK so lemme think by auther for a minute...

Jordan- WoT.  Definately up there on my list bc I was also reading that series since highschool, but I'm no longer sure it's my #1 Favorite.

Sanderson.-  Way of Kings looks like it will be amazing!  I'm excited though it's supposed to be a huge series and I makes me sad to think of how long It might take to be written.   B-Ass Bride Runners FtW !

Brent Weeks (Night Angel Trilogy)   This one is high up there for me.  I flew through all 3 600? pagers in like 2 weeks & definitely enjoyed them.  Think of this series as similar to Mist Born except they are extra special Assassins called "Wetboys"...   The Main experienced Assassin character Durzo says...
"That's why assassins have targets. Wetboys have deaders. Why do we call them deaders? Because when we take a contract, the rest of their short lives is a formality."
-Durzo   

Peter F Hamilton--  I've read all of his stuff and I'd say for a stand alone book I really do love
"Fallen Dragon" (Marines in Biotech Suits doing what they do best).  Nights Dawn Trilogy (Actually 6 books though) is VERY good and honestly just read his stuff in order bc it always builds upon stuff you read previously but the VOID Trilogy is my all time Favorite of his.  Hard Science Fiction Space Odyssey Stuff is how I would describe it.

OK...   I know I know...   but...

John Ringo --   They are basically "Smut Books" for guys, but they are soooo dang entertaining..   Advanced Alien Tech handed to Earth to help us survive the Ravening Centaur / Crocidile Alien hordes...  Marines in Mech suits .. aka
Polseen War (4 Books)..    With LOTS of additional books in the same universe.. TROY Rising (3 Books) are My other fav's in this series...

SM Stirling-- (Alternate history stuff..  What if???  No power, No High-Energy Chemistry / pressure stuff).   Castles & Swords it is!

*Nantucket Series -- Quite Good & linked with
*Emberverse Series.. Still Reading this one actually on bk 12?  I think.

David Weber --

*Honor Harrington...  These are entertaining, but I'd save them for a "if you run out kinda series which is what I did heh."

*SafeHold ..  Reading these currently still and VERY good.  I love the premise.

Steven Erikson--

*Malazan Books of the Fallen -- Bk. 6 Currently and this is EPIC Fantasy...  The First 5 Books Barely overlap characters or places but they are building together and it's honestly more of an EPIC Fantasy than even WoT ..   Good stuff and great Characters.  You have to be in for the long haul & ready for the development though.

Ok...   That's enough for now lol.   I just peeked in my Audio Book Folder.. which is BY FAR the smaller ones...   Ebooks has a ton more.. and just a few favorites mentioned ..

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 07:09:50 AM »
OH- I also have 2 great books (so far) to suggest!!

This is called "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss - fabulous!!!!

http://www.patrickrothfuss.com/content/books.asp

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 09:05:01 AM »
Yea... Kvothe is a great character....    I like how they set the tuition for school etc.. & he just comes up with the HUGE sum no promblem heh.    I'm patiently awaiting Day 3.... of the story arc which should be "The Doors of Stone" sometime in 2014...

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »
Odd isn't it? Perfect opportunity for the more junior members to pad their post count and yet what do we hear from them? *crickets* :'(

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
They are too busy looking for scripts to read to them so they don't have to.  lol
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 02:52:49 AM »
Books :)

Terry Brooks : Shannara Series ... Original trilogy was Sword of Shannara, Elf Stones of Shannara and WishSong of Shannara but has been built on multi tier now.

The Word & Void trilogy The Word & Void trilogy consists of Running with the Demon, A Knight of the Word, and Angel Fire East and is predominantly set in present-day Illinois. It follows Nest Freemark, a girl with magical abilities who has no known relationship to any Shannara character. Before the publication of Armageddon's Children it was unclear whether this trilogy existed within the Shannara universe. It has since been revealed as the "ultimate prequel" to the Shannara novels.

The Genesis of Shannara trilogy The Genesis of Shannara series consists of Armageddon's Children, The Elves of Cintra and The Gypsy Morph and connects the Word/Void series with the Shannara novels.

Legends of Shannara duology The Legends of Shannara series consists of Bearers of the Black Staff and The Measure of the Magic and continues to connect the Old World with the world of the Four Lands.

First King of Shannara This is the prequel to the Original Shannara Trilogy.

The Original Shannara Trilogy Also published as The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Del Ray Books, these were the first three published Shannara novels (The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and The Wishsong of Shannara)

The Heritage of Shannara Tetralogy The next four books consist of The Scions of Shannara, The Druid of Shannara, The Elf Queen of Shannara and The Talismans of Shannara. These books are known as The Heritage of Shannara, are set 300 years after The Original Shannara Trilogy.

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy consists of the books Ilse Witch, Antrax, and Morgawr.

High Druid of Shannara trilogyThe High Druid of Shannara trilogy includes the novels Jarka Ruus, Tanequil, and Straken.

The Dark Legacy of Shannara trilogy Terry Brooks has planned another trilogy to take place 100 to 120 years after the events in Straken. The first two of the three scheduled books, Wards of Faerie & Bloodfire Quest, were published on August 21, 2012 & March 12, 2013 respectively, with the last book, Witch Wraith scheduled for July 16, 2013.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 03:17:25 AM by Masscre »

Tags: