Author Topic: Anyone else playing WoW?  (Read 11787 times)

Offline TidusTopic starter

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
Anyone else playing WoW?
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
+1
Anyone else playing WoW?  I am currently playing on Zul'jin.  Enjoying this last expansion. Seems they are doing quite well with this one.  Been doing a lot of questing because all my chars were lvl 80s.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: Anyone else playing WoW?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:12 PM »
+1
Nope! SWTOR for me!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:25:36 PM »
+1
I still have my SWTOR account, but once i hit endgame i couldn't play anymore.
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »
+1
Not WoW for me, but if I ever take another break from UO it will probably be for Battlefield 4 when it comes out.  I am interested in SWTOR & EVE though I'd be playing either for the first time & honestly scripting away and "Feeling" like I'm getting ahead in UO has always entertained me when I grow borred and probably always will lol.

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
+1
Once upon a time I started the 14-day trial. Didn't even finish it.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
+1
Nope, I quit WoW for good. Only play UO periodically and mainly play EVE now.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Mind Blown
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »
+1
I heard EVE is hard to get into as a new player because of all the others that are so built up.

Offline Bookwyrm

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • Bookwyrm has no influence.
  • Better Civilization Through Medication
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
+1
Nope. You can't go into the game expecting to fly the Super-Caps but you can be flying the small ships and flying them well in a very short period of time. Trick to Eve is picking a single path and sticking with it. Jacks-of-all-trades tend to do poorly in that game.
My main in Eve is about to hit 100 Million skill points and there are still ships I can't fly. However, the ones I can fly I fly extremely well.
"The most preposterous notion that H. Sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all of history."   Lazarus Long

"The second most preposterous notion is that copulation is inherently sinful."   L.L. 

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 04:20:43 PM »
+1
Nope. You can't go into the game expecting to fly the Super-Caps but you can be flying the small ships and flying them well in a very short period of time. Trick to Eve is picking a single path and sticking with it. Jacks-of-all-trades tend to do poorly in that game.
My main in Eve is about to hit 100 Million skill points and there are still ships I can't fly. However, the ones I can fly I fly extremely well.

This is about the best advice anyone could give to someone who hasn't tried eve.

To further refine on it though, you probably don't ever want to fly a super-cap, unless with an alt.

My original main (dxrom) has 68m SP and is geared towards combat and as such has a very strong subcap core as I have never had any interest in putting him into capitals (dreadnaughts, carriers, motherships, titans). My alt-main (Poggz) however is geared towards Combat logistics, she can perfectly (all skills 5) any t2/t1 logistic ship but I have started working towards caps with her, currently she can fly a triage Archon, which is a Carrier and her next step is finishing the gunnery skills for the Revelation which is a Dreadnaught. I've played actively on dxrom since 2009 and created Poggz a year later and trained her for two years before I even started to use her. Granted I could have used her a lot sooner however at the time there were learning skills to train which took time (and I got her to all 5s with them =/) and I had a mix training track with her, first I wanted to use her as a solo pvp pilot with droneboats, then a transport character, then a probing alt and finally settled on being a logi pilot.

Not to dissuade you, but after getting into a ship that you're comfortable flying for the next 4-6 months, you will probably (if you train efficiently) spend that 4-6 months training core fitting and module efficiency skills. Which is where I highly suggest you start (it took me 3 years to finally bite the bullet with dx and do it, but it was worth it) being that these are the skills that will most benefit your ingame ability to properly fit and effectively control any ship you fly in the future.

In my opinion the best route to take on any chr is this:
1. Find a ship you will learn to love and use alot of, generally a cruiser/frigate hull.
2. Train core fitting and efficiency skills. IE: Maxing out your Potential powergrid and cpu thresholds and capacitor recharge rates. Also T2 module skills like local repairs/boosts, damage controls, armor/shield hardeners, etc.
3. Train drones. Drones are awesome and almost every ship uses them, this also opens you up to being able to flying gallente ships which specialize in Hybrid weapons and Drones.
4. Now train into whatever ships you want and their respective weapons.

The reason the order in which skills are trained is so important is because of your attribute points. Perception, Memory, Willpower, Intelligence and Charisma are your stats in EVE and they are at a base of 17 at the minimal, with 14 points left over that can be re-mapped elsewhere. Re-mapping can only be done 1 time a year unless you have bonus remaps available, so deciding what you want to train into by taking into consideration your stat point allocation is an extremely important thing and should be planned out carefully. By default new characters have start with 20/20/20/20/19 for attributes, with their base 1 remap available along with 2 bonus remaps.

It's a lot to take in and might seem daunting and not worthwhile, however there are corps and alliances (guilds essentially) in game that specialize in teaching new players how to play and getting them on track for the things that interest them be it pvp, pve, exploration, marketing, etc. I was personally lucky enough to meet a couple of great guys when I started on the 14 day trial and if it wasn't for seeing them brawl in hurricanes and then help me with the basics, I probably wouldn't even be playing right now. I then moved on to find a corp of still newer players (a good deal of whom I still play with in and out of EVE) and I was able to satiate my dark needs to PK via gate camping with them and performing high sec piracy and warfare.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 04:26:17 PM »
+1
I'm still playing WoW. Play mostly on Trollbane although I'm reasonably established on Eitrigg as well. No end game though.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 04:39:58 PM »
+1
I heard EVE is hard to get into as a new player because of all the others that are so built up.

Also something I wanted to touch on as well...

EVE is a sandbox, within the sand box are small ships, medium ships, big ships and even bigger ships. Just because someone has the most SP and the biggest ship ingame doesn't mean they have nothing to worry about, in fact it's the small ships that are the greatest danger to these big ships and that's the way it is with all the tiers of the hulls. There is no one ship that is only possible to fly by the oldest people that is godmode over everything else, it's in how the pilot uses the ship that matters. My very first Industrial Capital kill and even Carrier kills were both in Destroyer class ships, I found these big ships inspace and prevented them from escaping my continuously bumping them with my SMALL ship, which prevented them from being able to get up to full alignment speed and warp out to safety, I did this long enough for my friends to come in with more smaller ships of their own and help me kill it. My first actual solo kill was against a Harpy in my dramiel (http://eve.battleclinic.com/killboard/killmail.php?id=10901615) and I still remember to this day the excitement and thrill of that brawl, I literally won with 30% structure left do to a near costly decision on my part to burn into his webs and scram, at the time the harpy was easily one of the high dps frigates around. And afterwards the person convod me in game to tell me good fight, it turns out that at the time he was a 45-50M SP character and I was barely a 10M SP character.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »
+1
Just had a nice 1000 vs 1000 brawl tonight...
 Here are some screen shots and will update with video.

And for BookWyrm (since no one else will understand these links):
http://raynor.cl/eve/formRecive.php?id=tYzLj2e  (last dingo scan)
http://eve-kill.net/?a=kill_related&kll_id=18165123

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 05:45:51 AM »
+1
Guess this thread should be "Anyone else playing Eve" instead of "Anyone else play WoW" LOL.

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline dxrom

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
+1
Guess this thread should be "Anyone else playing Eve" instead of "Anyone else play WoW" LOL.

Probably, rofl.

Here's promised vid.

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:33 AM »
+1
I stopped playing WoW in 2011 and haven't looked back.