Author Topic: Kindle or IPad  (Read 5627 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Kindle or IPad
« on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:06 PM »
My inlaws want to give me one or the other for my birthday. Which should I choose and why?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle or IPad
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 01:33:16 PM »
I think the obvious answer is Ipad.

Let's start with basic pricing:

Kindle DX Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 9.7" Display: $379.00 (http://www.amazon.com/).

Ipad Middle Priced with Wi-Fi and 3G plus 32GB: $729.00 (www.apple.com)

Price differential: $350.00

Functions:

Kindle: Download Books, Newspapers, and magazines. Stores books bought in online library to be downloaded anytime. 3G capabilities to check twitter and what not. Books can be downloaded in under 60 seconds. No glare screen. The perfect piece of equipment for the serious book reader. 9.7" inch screen (Black and White).

Ipad: Web Browser, Email, Photos, Videos, YouTube, iTunes, iBooks (Apple's version of Kindle. I know on my ipod there is a kindle app but not sure about Ipad), Thousands of Apps, Map system for directions, Notes, Calendar, Contacts, Built in Speakers, 9.7" COLOR screen.

Main Differences:

Ipad offers the best of all worlds for just a 350 dollar difference. You get a color screen with built in speakers for watchign videos or listening to music. Kindle offers no speakers or color screen but is great for reading books.

Overall I would suggest Ipad if given the choice. Shorter battery life but lots more you can do.

Most the features were taken from respective pages.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:27:11 PM »
You really can't compare the two.  Kindle is an awesome reading device. IPad is a general web tool. Kindle you can read in direct sunlight whereas you'll need to think a bit more about your reading experience.  I've owned my kindle for 3 weeks andhave charged it once with heavy use.

Anyhow the kindle does what it was designed to do very well.

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 03:30:28 PM »
I always contemplated a kindle, but I guess maybe I'm too old fashioned...or cheap. One or the other. hehe

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »
One correction about the kindle specs jtw, it does have speakers and can even "read" the books to you.  I plug it into my car audio system when I drive to work so I can read and drive.

I only own the 6" kindle, and that's just $189.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 06:19:07 PM »
One correction about the kindle specs jtw, it does have speakers and can even "read" the books to you.  I plug it into my car audio system when I drive to work so I can read and drive.

Ah my bad! Yeah I always figured Kindles were for people that LOVED reading and Ipads were for people that wanted...well a giant ipod.

Offline yucka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • yucka has no influence.
  • Where's the Any Key?
  • Respect: +4
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:41:54 PM »

Out of curiosity, how does it sound when it reads a book? I listen to a lot of audio books on the road, would it be good enough for long trips?

-yucka
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:02:03 AM by yucka »

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 08:00:27 AM »
I was actually surprised how well the books are annunciated.  Sometimes it gets a bit silly with strange words, but it's pretty clear for most reading.

For me, I look forward to long drives; I just crank up the audio level and GO! 

One thing to be clear about: some publishers are out to milk the cash cow and restricted Amazon to "turn off" the audio reading feature (so they basically force you to buy the book on CD).  Kinda lame if you ask me.

However, most of the titles I read are older, so they don't have this restriction.  I'm sure that new releases will be more susceptible to this limitation.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 08:03:48 AM »
I would say the decision is kinda based on what you want to do.  If you want something for reading then the Kindle is the way to go.  If you are looking for something that is more all around multimedia then the Ipad is the way to go.  I have neither as I am not a reading type and honestly don't want anything to do with apple.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 08:05:02 AM »
BTW:  linky for sound example:

... and honestly don't want anything to do with apple.

Amen, brotha!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 08:18:02 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I went Kindle.  Now going to figure out how to download some books...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks for the input guys, I went Kindle.  Now going to figure out how to download some books...

Book ordering is amazingly simple.  You just buy them through the kindle store and they automagically appear on your kindle (your kindle comes automatically bonded with your amazon account)  Another neat feature is I have the kindle book reader on my Android phone as well and I can read the same book on both pieces of hardware, and they will stay in sync with my current reading position.

Ahh, one less Apple drone.  (and the angels sang)
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: