Author Topic: Healing Success Rate  (Read 6880 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Healing Success Rate
« on: May 12, 2011, 02:10:31 PM »
So I have tracked down and am comfortable with the speed and heal amounts information available for healing, but what I have never seen anything on is the chance of getting a failure on a heal.  Is it a simple success/failure check like music, or is it based on the amount of injury you are trying to heal.  I am trying to figure out the optimal skill level for a cross heal toon and it would help if I can figure out the rule-set behind heal failures. 

Cheers!

This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
Re: Healing Success Rate
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 04:08:36 PM »
one of those crystal balls might get you that answer
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Tarpan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tarpan has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
UOGuide has some formulas.

http://www.uoguide.com/Healing

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »
The formulae are helpful, but deal with how much you heal on a successful heal.  What I am looking for is the success rate for a heal.  If you watch the heal process you will notice that there is a success/failure check before the formulae that determine how much is healed are applied. There is a specific message associated with failure.  I have never seen information about what determines the success of a heal and I think it would be helpful for building templates with healing.  I was just checking to see if that information was out there somewhere. 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 04:06:08 AM »
As I recall, there is a damage amount that if taken, will reduce the amount of the heal by x. That's the "finger's slip" thing.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:02:09 AM »
My girl asked me about my "finger's slip" thing.

Okay Cerv are u haveing problems hiting the mark then use the force young jedi and rember slipery when wet
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:06:40 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales »

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 09:16:50 AM »
There are a number of things in play when you try to heal yourself or someone else.  However, my understanding of the process is as follows.

1. You are succesful in the heal. In this case there is a damage calculation that can be modified downward if you have taken damage during the heal wait. The message you get when you take damage is the finger slip message.

2. I believe that you can also simply fail at your heal.  I recently had some toons healing each other, one of which was not fighting.  It had 100 anatomy and about 75 healing.  This toon failed to heal in its heal range perhaps one in five attempts.  I have not done any significant testing, but this suggests that there is a heal skill check when you attempt to heal very much like a music check when you attempt to use one of the bard skills.  The message you get when this happens says something about minimal damage.  This can happen when you have not been hit during the heal way. If you get this message, the heal will be relatively ineffective, falling outside the heal range for your heal/anat. 

-Mario Andretti

Offline Tarpan

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Tarpan has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 07:15:59 PM »
I thought that fingers slipping only affected the heal times, I am very likely wrong on that point though. It's funny, newer games have impeccable math out there easily accessible, and UO which has been around forever is a chore to find any solid information on. And forget about getting the development team to hand out hard numbers...

Offline Outlaw Josey Wales

• Full Moon Rising!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Outlaw Josey Wales has no influence.
  • Respect: +59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 12:19:17 AM »
I thought that fingers slipping only affected the heal times, I am very likely wrong on that point though. It's funny, newer games have impeccable math out there easily accessible, and UO which has been around forever is a chore to find any solid information on. And forget about getting the development team to hand out hard numbers...
actualy thats not realy corect u can find the basic formulas on www.uo.com and on www.uoguide.com

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
OJW, I would like to make a point of correction to keep this thread focussed on the original question.  We are aware of and comfortable with the formulae for calculating the amount of a heal, and for the influence getting hit during a heal has.

The question is "what determines whether a heal is successful or not".  This presupposes a failure rate for heals that is outside the expected heal rate where the toon has not been hit during the deal delay.  This is something I believe I have observed.  Thus far no one has provided an answer, opinion or theory to compliment, refute, or refine my working theory.

The point of the question is this:  If we can confirm that there is in fact a success check, and we can isolate what the check is based on (I think its the heal skill), this would be helpful information for planning templates that include heal. By way of example: right now the only difference between having 85 and 90 healing skill supported by the available information is that you heal a little more with 90 than with 85.  If my hypothesis is correct, an additional difference would be that you would never fail if you were using enhanced bandages, while one in 20 heals would be a failure at 85.  

Unless someone comes up with some information that is on point, I will set up some tests.  

-Mario Andretti

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 06:20:05 AM »
I have just finished looking through all my old data and that which is posted on several sites paul. I can not find anything to help on "Chance of Success" for Heals and a formula.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 06:23:14 AM »
Mass, I don't think it is out there anywhere.  I would never have identified the issue if I had not set up a toon healing two other toons that were sparring and watched the results.  The heal toon was not sparring and still failed with relative frequency at 75 heal skill, 100 anatomy.

My plan is to isolate the failure message, and set up a short script that monitors for the failure, tracks it compared to successful heals and compares it to heal skill.  Hopefully that will give me some interesting feedback.   

-Mario Andretti

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:03:33 AM »
This goes against what I had always thought about the Healing skill....

I thought:

61 - cure
80 - rez
100 - no fails

And that >25 damage from monster or >15 from player caused a reduction in amount healed by like 30% or something.

XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
I thought that 80.1 was no fail on the healing?  Most of my dex pvpers run around 90+ healing.  If you also add enhanced bandages they "give" you a extra 10 points to the heal though I do not know if this is for fail rate or damage healed.  Not a rule but I have found that 80% of the dexxers I kill do not use enhanced  bandages, I think this is a huge error on the other player.  Buy 10+ fountains of life and start farming bandages, personally I have 25 fountains on my main shard stuffed with bandages and stacks of 10K+ on many other shards where I have pvping chars.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Tags: