Author Topic: Good intro example: My UO history  (Read 9657 times)

Offline hodgeswTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • hodgesw has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Good intro example: My UO history
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »
+1
Hey everyone,

My name is Will and for my introduction I'm going to talk about my history playing UO.  I originally started playing when I was 10 on my brother's account.  I believe this was in 99, before there was a trammel.  I played on GL and had only one character, a swords/lumberjack fighter.  I don't remember a lot of what I did back then, but some of the memories I do have were of a troll invasion of vesper.  One reason this sticks with me is that back then trolls would have backpacks on their corpses which held the gold and other loot, and I would collect these backpacks and sell them to the provisioner north east of town.  Another memory is of an orc invasion of Minoc, accompanied with new orc monsters such as the scout, chopper, and bombers.  I remember that at the time I was fighting to try and collect the dark colored orcish bows to sell to collectors.  Throughout my early life in UO I was killed many times by pkers and had only one duel which I lost.  I don't recall ever killing any reds back then, and even today I don't dabble much in pvp.

Anyway I played for a while but left sometime before Lord Blackthorn's Revenge came out.  I also missed the release of Age of Shadows.  I decided to start playing again sometime in high school, this time with my own account.  The first character I created was similar in nature to my lumberjack from before, but with the new skills available he became a shield carrying paladin.  I also created a mage and an archer, and from then on these have been my main characters with modifications made throughout the years to their skills,equipment, etc.

I have played off and on, sampling other mmos but there is something about this game that keeps me coming back.  The latest return was a break from wow, considering I'm not much into raiding there hadn't been any interesting new content for me.  I have also sampled Darkfall and Warhammer, but haven't been intrigued enough to continue my subscriptions to them.

My favorite things to do in UO are pvm based, including peerless, champ spawns, and events such as the new Bane Chosen v. Ophidians.  I also like to script, mostly resource gathering and skill training. I just really like the automation of it all and i'm impressed by its capabilities.  I generally use EasyUO but recently I was looking for a script to aide in donating to the library and couldn't find one, a google search lead me here and so I thought I would register and see the effort of other scripters that I wasn't even aware of before.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:54:54 AM by TrailMyx »

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: My UO history
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:13:01 PM »
+1
Nice intro. I am sure one of the admins will be by shortly to get your restricted status removed for the work you put into your intro.

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:17:35 PM »
+1
Great Intro Hodgesw! Thanks for taking the time to tell us a little about  yourself, why you like UO and sharing with us some of your fonder memories of this great game. 8)

Welcome to ScriptUO.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:30:55 PM »
+1
Finally!  A break from the hum-drum, and lacking introductions!

Thank you for this.  Welcome to the site!

BTW, how did you like Darkfall?  I was thinking about trying it out.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline hodgeswTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • hodgesw has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
+1
Thank you for granting me access, I'll give the script library a look over this evening (I have to go to work soon).  About Darkfall, it was pretty nice.  It had the same feel as early UO as far as game play but with a nice graphics improvement, similar in style to Oblivion.  As far as I could tell there wasn't really any item-based approach to it (which I liked).  You simply trained your skills/stats and equipped with some simple crafted suits, similar to dull copper platemail suits, something decent but replaceable if you die.  You also had to carry regs with you to cast spells, no lrc in this game.  There is a lot of pking that goes on so you have to either be good or can make it back to town quickly (always watch your back when you are out hunting or exploring).  The resource gathering was really nice.  Every tree/mine was a node that you could harvest.  It was really laid back too, you began harvesting and kept hacking/mining away until the node was dry, giving you 5-10min at each node with only a single click to start harvesting.  If you have thought about trying it out you might as well, especially if you liked UO pre-trammel.  I don't know if they have a trial account system, but if so I would give it a shot.  What I didn't like about it and led to my depature was the interface, underpolished craft guis and so forth, and the content, there really didn't seem to be much going on apart from getting pked constantly.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »
+1
I believe there is a 14-day trial.  I was going to give it a shot, but I just haven't been in a gaming mood lately (well, for like 8 months now).

Your grips are exactly the same I've heard of many times about Darkfall.  Just doesn't seem to be finished and polished.  Like WoW or not, they certainly know how to polish a product...
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: