Author Topic: Burning  (Read 5895 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Burning
« on: January 20, 2010, 09:41:35 PM »
No, not that kind of burning...hehe :o

I just bought a new internal DVD burner (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135077) because my old one crapped out on me. It was an ASUS external DVD burner with DL burning capabilities.  I now have an LG burner with DL burning capabilities(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16827136144). I have not really had great success with Nero, so I've switched over to Ashampoo 9 version 9.20.  I prefer to burn with Verbatim, Sony is 2nd in my list, followed by ...NO ONE!  I really hate using anything besides these two, I rarely ever have any success burning with anything else.  TDK, Magnavox, Dynex, HP, and Memorex aren't in my list to ever use.  

I've had Lite-On drives that had worked well for their life, an external IOMEGA that was sheer crap (literaly threw it across the room  :D ) and a few Sony's that did ok for their purposes.

So I ask, what does everyone else have/use to burn with?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:12:56 PM by Superslayer »

Offline jtw1984

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • jtw1984 has no influence.
  • Danger is my Middle Name
  • Respect: +11
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Burning
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:18 PM »
Eh, I dont burn dvds anymore, and I switched to an ipod so no need for cds anymore.

I did use Nero, but now if I have to burn anything I just use windows built in data/audio burner. :D

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:14:37 PM »
I used the build in windows one until I could afford something a bit more versatile.  Almost all my burns are for backup's of other peoples movies, and a few of my own. I also keep DVD backup's of my programs that I've acquired over the years.

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
DVD Fab is the best I found to copy dvd's and rip dvd's blu rays and such to your hard disk.  If you want to get a blu ray to fit on a dvd+r you will need to re-encode it tho.  Which takes time, a lot of time.

But if your just looking to copy dvd's and or convert to ps3 format or what not, dvd fab platinum is what I use and I love it.  And its a one time fee unlike anydvd which is a subscription.
Coragin

My Facebook
And now I'm better at doing what ever it is Wolverine does!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »
I actually have dvdfab platinum, and forgot I even had it till I just read your post!  What do you do/go about, when you're making a dvd movie backup, and the source is an 8+ gig disk? I use DVDShrink, it's free and fast. From there I split the disks onto 2 4+ gig disks, but in the process, I end up having no menu like I had with the source disk. Since I have a DL burner, I suppose I can just do the copy outright. Ever do a DL burn? I haven't. What kinds of compatibility issues are there in home dvd players

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 07:19:59 AM »
I put a Pioneer-205 Blu Ray Burner into my new system, but I have not tried to burn anything yet.  I will have to read up on what you are using and give it a go...
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
I'm assuming you guys are just cataloging your DVD collection on your home server... ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:24 AM »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »
 :o Of course :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:38:17 AM »
When did we retain a lawyer?

Man, I need to attend the budget meetings more often....
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:42:08 AM »
I'm mostly inquiring about the troubles most often had when backing up disks.  For some reason, I can't backup anything on DVD-R's. I've read it could be anything from the disk brand, to the burners capabilities. I haven't seen anything that implies movie backups cannot be put on DVD-R's, so I've been using DVD+RW's all the while, and the DL stuff throws me for an even bigger loop!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:18 AM »
I barley use dvds cds any more.. except for the occasional prehistoric data send.

For Backing up movies and more convienient carrying.  I got the kids a little movie box hard drive enclosure. Slapped a 100 gig drive in thier and bascially any movies they aquire that they like to watch,(over and over and over)  i convert and put on that... the origainals get dumped in a box in the attic for preservation.  When it gets full something gets deleted. And when the box is over overflowing it gets cleaned out.

But like anything kids get you never really own it you just rent it for a while (months years).  On our almost regualar monthly drop off at my local salvation army/goodwill i let the kids raid the extensive movie sections.

As for backing up serious data /other that you really want to keep .. i recommend making 2-3 copies... and storing in a cool dark place etc etc etc bla bla bla.

But for straight movie watching save the time get a movie box and transfer right onto that... you can then pick one of your favorites via remote control from you chair and never have to deal with your favorite disk getting a scatch or skipping or or or or...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:58:23 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 09:03:13 AM »
That's nearly exactly what I'm doing currently, I have a Seagate 250 gig 3/4 full of shows. My home server will be the likely new home for it, so that any computer in the house can access it. With FIOS, I believe I can even share the flicks on the TV's in my home.

Unfortunately, I only have 1 backup atm for most if not all my stuffs.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
yea sharing on tv is what i meant...  i belive in the states they call them 'HDD media players'
Only downside to the one i have is its doesnt have a nic built in, but i have an old model.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=hdd+media+player&aq=0&aql=&aqi=g10&oq=hdd+me

Although im thinking a modded xbox can probably do the same thing.. i will let you know after i get finished err started modding mine.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 09:28:05 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: