Author Topic: Error 0xc000007b  (Read 4494 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Error 0xc000007b
« on: March 10, 2010, 03:34:58 PM »
After several days of frustration, I think I have come to a conclusion. Micro$oft $ucks.  For starters, if you search the net for the error code, you'll come across lots of reports detailing the virus Worm.Klez.e amongst a few others.  After an extensive search through my system and registry looking for said files, registry entries, alterations and deletions, I'm 100% positive I have no such infestation. Therefore, it can't be anything having to do with any NAV or SEP application. So you can filter the net search with those two exclusions.

Next, my computer is a home built atrocity. It's a standard ATX case, Gigabyte MB (GA-7n400-L1), AMD proc (Duron) OC'd, 3 gig's of Crucial, 250G WD, ATI Raedon 9250 with a pair of 22" LCD's cruising with WinXP Pro SP3.  With that, we can eliminate the hits that include many Dell Laptops and the "Wave" Software, along with all the Vista and non XP results.

That filtering alone now greatly limits possibilities.  This issue does not seem to be picky on what software is running, and is certainly not specific to what it does effect. I don't have Anti-Virus software running, this is the second full re-format of my HD and install of XP, so anything that relies on .NET is only updated to version 2.0.  These programs include Razor, SUO, HtmlPad, VS2008 EE and several others, so the install of .NET is mandatory.

I'm also not developing any software, so there's no compression or de-compression algorithms being added.

That said, here are some of my findings:

• An application is accessing the executable as soon as the 'Welcome' screen appears.
  • This program writes over the executable
  • Encrypting the executable (and parent folder) alone does not stop the re-write
  • The file size difference is generally about 8kb's

To sum it up, my programs are being re-written after they are installed and the machine re-boots. I can re-install the programs and re-overwrite what this annoyance is doing, only to result in yet another re-write of SUO.exe, Razor and the other programs that depend on .NET. 

A temporary patch, r-click the executable file that produces the error, check Read Only, then go to advanced and select to encrypt the file, then remove the checks for archive and compression.

Offline Coragin

• Wacko in Pajama's
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 23
  • Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...Coragin might someday be someone...
  • It Is What It Is.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Error 0xc000007b
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
Do the following...

First try downloading malware bytes anti-malware.  Install and update it.  If you cannot do this, repost here and stop reading now.  If you can download and update it, run a thourogh scan.  If that dont fix it, let me know and do the following...

If you ask me the problem is in your master boot record or even in the windows system files, the boot files.  Try running msconfig from the run command.  Then goto start up and see what is being started on system start.  If you cant run msconifg perform a backup outlined below.  It is something in your mbr or windows system files/start up.  the best and easiest option is to reformat and reinstall, before it completely crashes your HD and you lose all data.

Backup any "non-install" data, i.e. pics, mp3, txt, video, config files for uo, EasyUO directories, scripts ect. your "My Documents" "EA Games" directory (That holds all your config files, macros, desktops ect for all your toons in UO).

In UO save uo.cfg.

Obviously save all configuration files for anything you might reinstall, so you dont have to redo all your settings for everything.

For razor you can save the whole directory, then you can just overwrite it later after a reinstall of windows and razor, this will preserve your settings.

If you are running firefox, you are a smart man, if you dont have it already, goto firefox.com and download the plugin FFBE (Firefox backup extension) install it and restart firefox.

Goto Tools > FFBE > And select the backups you want to do.  Here is what I backup when I backup firefox...