Author Topic: New Harddrive, looking for opinions  (Read 2137 times)

Offline SuperslayerTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
New Harddrive, looking for opinions
« on: October 03, 2010, 05:52:18 AM »
Hey all,

Looking for peoples opinions. I just got another harddrive and I'm wondering what fun I can have with it. This is my current setup:

C:\Local disk (Operating System) 218GB - Internal
E:\Programs (Programs, Apps...) 150GB - Internal
*G:\ New Hard Drive WDC WD74 Raptor 10k 74 GB* - External USB
H:\Backup 250GB - External USB
I:\Pagefile (from C:\) 9.75GB - Internal
J:\VMDisk (VM's) 150GB - External USB

Now, I'm considering moving my current OS (WinXP Pro SP3 Black Ed.) to the Raptor, and throwing the VM's on what is currently C:\, then with the then empty 150GB (J:\) putting Win7 on it.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 02:35:24 PM by Superslayer »

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
Re: New Harddrive, looking for opinions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 09:42:25 AM »
I can tell you my setup at least and see if it gives any suggestions:

Internal:
C:\  = 500GB, Used for my OS and all programs
M:\  = 2TB, Used for Media (TV shows, movies, music, etc)
S:\  = 2TB, Used for miscellaneous storage (MSDNAA software installs, backups of thumbdrives/memory cards, VirtualBox "hard drives", multiple websites, etc)

External:
1TB = Partial Media (M:\) backup (the movies I actually liked! so I can plug it into my new HTPC and watch all the good movies!)
250GB = Purely backup (documents, digital camera pictures, etc)

I now have a 320GB(internal) and a 500GB(external) laying around unused at the moment, but I'm sure I'll find a use for them soon. I would honestly recommend the Western Digital 2TB drives I got to everyone. They have 64MB cache, and 4k block size so you actually get a much faster drive (I can explain that if you're curious, or you can just look it up on WD's site).

Although I haven't used it myself, I would recommend selling off your current drives, getting 3x 2TB ones and put them in RAID 5. That's my future plan at least!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
Movies and video are something I never really got into with my comp, but when I did want a movie, I just burned it.  Since it's only 74GB, I'm wondering what can be put on it so when used, a noticeable difference can be seen and appreciated given the 10K rpm.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:24 PM »
The only thing I can suggest is move your OS install to it so that everything speeds up!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 06:35:16 PM »
I found a use!  My kids are getting a Wii for xmas, so I'm going to set up the drive to play all the games from there. With this setup, they won't have to switch CD's or get their grubby fingers all over it thus ruining the disks!

Thoughts?

Tags: