Author Topic: Time to take the plunge  (Read 12367 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Time to take the plunge
« on: October 22, 2012, 04:51:37 AM »
+1
I've decided to take the plunge and start learning a new programming language. Based on my background in MS technologies I thought the best jump for me would be to step off into VB.NET and C#.

I'm looking into my options for obtaining a licensed copy of Visual Studio because I thought this might be the best starting point but, of course, not being a developer by trade I can't justify the costs. I'm looking into options I have at work through our MSDN subscription but my job title is Lead Infrastructure Engineer so they may not want to help me out.

Any advice as to other ways to LEGALLY obtain licensing for Visual Studio? Any advice as to other options for VB.NET or C# development platforms? I would prefer to go the route of something that is seen as more standardized in the industry as I'd like the skills I begin to develop to be job-market applicable, including the development platform/s I get accustomed to.

Gracias mucho mis amigos!

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Time to take the plunge
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:11:48 AM »
+1
Just a few thoughts - vb.net is part of excel now isnt it?

A friend of mine got an older copy of visual studio (2008?) from ebay or some other action site for next to nothing.

Just saying you dont need the absoulute laastest version

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:21:11 AM »
+1
Actually that's not a bad idea at all, I certainly don't need the latest version. In fact, I would probably rather have an older version as my first experiments will need to run on older hardware and I'd probably have better luck with an older version of .net. Of course I still have much to learn so maybe I'm full of it lol!

Anyone have an older license they don't need anymore? ;)

Heading out to ebay to poke around...

X

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:58:21 AM »
+1
You should give SharpDevelop a whirl, 12X.  I still prefer it over Visual Studio.  It bends toward C#, but why would you do anything else?  :)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
+1
You should give SharpDevelop a whirl, 12X.  I still prefer it over Visual Studio.  It bends toward C#, but why would you do anything else?  :)
You tell me! ;)

I'll check out SharpDevelop.

X

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
+1
About your "Job market" comment.  An interview I went on a while back went bad because I didn't know VS very well.  It was a "live" programming session where I was programming for a room full of people and additional people on a live teleconference.  I kinda bumbled for a while with the IDE, but managed to pretty much nail the interview.  Problem was they said I was "slow" because was learning the tool one-the-fly.  They had no concept there was another alternative to VS.  Oh well, their loss.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:48:18 AM »
+1
Nothing like some pressure huh? LOL. Yeah, that kind of stuff is so ridiculous. Probably not a company you'd want to work for anyhow; if that's what they based their hiring on who knows what other annoyances you'd be dealing with as an employee.

I've gotten an offer at every job I've interviewed for since college (don't ask, I have no idea) except for one. In this one my initial interview was with the CTO who also heppend to be the CFO (there's a major red flag for anyone who cares, that's a different topic though). I made it through that one, had a follow-up with her IT staff, then I was to have a third with a high-level technical resource over the phone.

Turns out, the third guy was the guy who's job I was applying for and he ended up having absolutely ZERO social skills, nevermind interview skills, and came off as over-the-top confrontational throughout the whole process. Finally, after about 20 minutes of dealing with this asshat, I lost my patience and reamed him out.

Needless to say I didn't get the job but, frankly, why would I want to work for a company that allowed someone like that to even speak to potential hires. Incidentally, the company got bought out about 6-months later and the new parent company shut down all their east coast manufacturing locations so I guess I got the last laugh.

X

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
+1
We have a site license here at work for VS 2010 Pro, but I still end up using SharpDevelop. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
+1
We have a site license here at work for VS 2010 Pro, but I still end up using SharpDevelop. 
I have free licences for all VS Versions of the last 3-5 Years through my Premium MSDND AA+ Account but i never will use it. VS offering a lot of great Tools but beeing a hungry pig if it comes to use ressources. I prefer in my own developing (Company or private) Sharpdevelop. Small fast and working:)

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:47:23 AM »
+1
Just a few thoughts - vb.net is part of excel now isnt it?

A friend of mine got an older copy of visual studio (2008?) from ebay or some other action site for next to nothing.

Just saying you dont need the absoulute laastest version

C# has as well an API for Excel\Powerpoint and other products.
When you can use C# you can use VB.net :P
I personally prefer C#

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:52 AM »
+1
Yes, it really just is a personal preference.  Since I've been a C programmer for years, it only made sense.  VB always gave me a headache.  :)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:37:45 AM »
+1
I would prefer to jump in with C#, someone had mentioned to me that they thought VB.NET was a good place to start due to my VBScript experience (I know they are two different animals) then it's just a short jump to C#. I have no personal preference and am open to that suggestion.

Was just looking at the Microsoft BizSpark program, I have a Sole Proprietorship but it was started back in 1996 and has been dormant for about 10 years. They're rule is it can't have been started more than three years ago so I lied. Waiting now to see if it's simply computer processed or if someone will actually look into my application and realize I'm a liar and give me the big, fat DENIED.

The thing with MSDN is that you get access to fully licensed copies of so many products for the dev lab. I have my own copy of SQL 2005 and Windows 2003 but 2008 and higher I don't. I'll definitely check out SharpDevelop in either case while I'm working on other options!

X

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 05:19:44 PM »
+1
You could always check out Visual Studio Express: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-2010-express

It's free - it will allow you to get familiar with the IDE and code so you don't have to shell out a ton of money upfront

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »
+1
You could always check out Visual Studio Express: http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-2010-express

It's free - it will allow you to get familiar with the IDE and code so you don't have to shell out a ton of money upfront
If you check the simple Differences between the professional and the Ultimate you see many difference, do you may can think about what all is missing in express? :)
But for first steps its okay..

Comperation table VS 2012 : https://www.microsoft.com.nsatc.net/visualstudio/eng/products/compare

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 05:52:25 AM »
+1
Still haven't heard back regarding my BizSpark application hehe.

I did ping my manager and explained that I'm looking to pick up a new hobby this winter and that I'm not interested in being a developer but is their anything our office can offer to help me out through our MSDN subscription and he said he said yes. Hopefully I'll be asking dumb C# questions from my hotel room Thursday night. ;)

I appreciate the feedback so far guys, thanks a lot.

X

Tags: