Author Topic: Help? Looking for expert advice on hardware before purchase.  (Read 3489 times)

Offline seeriuslyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • seeriusly has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Help? Looking for expert advice on hardware before purchase.
« on: January 01, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »
I'm starting off the new year with a new rig.  I don't really play any graphics intense games, but would like to be more than able to do so if I wanted to.  I hate feeling like my system may not be able to handle it.  So I have done extensive research and want to see if this stuff will work together.  I know it's probably overkill , but that's how I roll.  Just need a second set of eyes in case i'm over looking something.  Thanks in advance.

Motherboard:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula/Thunderbolt AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131788

Processor:

AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8150FRGUBOX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103960

Memory:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233143

I just need to figure out my graphics card(s) now.   8)

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Help? Looking for expert advice on hardware before purchase.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:32:28 PM »
Looks good! I'm totally jealous and can't wait for the day when I take the dive and upgrade components/build a new PC from scratch.

I'm by no means an expert. Some of the guys here are. UOMaddogg knows his stuff that's for damn sure. I'm going to school right now to learn how to Geek like the Jedi Masters we have here on ScriptUO.

I did just finished up my A+ Hardware a few weeks ago so I will comment (Yes I got an A ;)).

Why go with 4 4GB DIMMS rather than 2 8GBS in case you want to upgrade later. Your board will hold up to 32MB RAM depending on what your OS will support. Seems like the 8GB DIMMS have just recenlty started hitting the market which is why the cost is higher...almost double.

I'm running 3.5 GB RAM and can do most things I need to do. 16MB is a hell of a lot. 32MB is probably overkill but it be nice to be able to max out the board later on down the line should you choose to do so.

I've never had my own PC with more than 4 MB of RAM let alone 16MB and 32MB so I can't tell you about the performance boost you'd get.

I do know right now I'm not happy with 3.5M. Lots of slowdown when I'm running multiple applications. :'(

Congratulations. I envy you and can't wait for the day when I get to do what your doing. Fun Fun Fun!

One more thought...say you did buy the 2 8GBs now and decide after 2 years you want to max the motherboard to 32MB it could very well be by that time the price has dropped on the 8GB DIMMs and your able to buy all 32MB (4 8GBS) at the price your paying now for the 16MBs (4 4GBS). Looking at it from that perspective it doesn't seem worth it to get the 8GBs unless money is no object. Again this is strictly conjecture on my part.

According to Wiki PC Hardware "Prices decrease 50% every two years" on most hardware I think SSD is the exception. I don't know why they don't say 25% a year but that's the qoute.

Here's one more thought and this could be a fools errand. What about a board that supports PCIe 3.0 so your board is ready for the future. The downside of that is there aren't any graphics card on the market that support PCIe 3.0. ???

Oh man...now you got me looking at Newegg and Tigers direct. My mouth is watering and I'm breaking out in sweats on my forehead.

I could go on all day. Ulimaltey you have to decide on a budget and stay with it and figure out how long your expecting the PC to last.

Buying top of the line stuff is probably not the best value for your dollar but that board you have isn't cheap which is why I curious as to what the PCIe 3.O Mobo's are going for. Looks like there 30%-40% more. :-X
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:34:44 PM by Ultima »

Offline seeriuslyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • seeriusly has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
I did A+ and some other computer courses back in 2001, and a LOT has changed since then...  I built my first 2 computers after that class, and recently have been going through some issues with HP.  (Heaping Piles)  So I have wanted to buy a new rig for about 6 months, but can't seem to take the leap. 

Thanks for replying Ultima,  and I agree...  Why limit myself with the memory I have chosen?  Well...  In 2 years or better, I STILL don't think I'll need 16GB of memory...  Plus, I went to the manufacturers website and made sure memory was compatible with everything else.  The memory I chose was on the list, so that's what made me choose that particular set of sticks.  Also since the motherboard says that's the fastest memory I can get without overclocking...  I really want to overclock though, but the rig will probably be flying faster than I need as is.  I like tinkering around with stuff though.

It has taken me all day today to research all of the items I'd like.  Now after reading HUNDREDS of reviews, benchmarks, and other feedback on the products I have selected, I sit back and scratch my head and wonder...  " Do I need a $2000 rig?  Do I need 16 GB memory? "  The answer is hell yes, and all I have to do is click the dang button and it's on its way.  But I am so indecisive.

And PCI 3.0?  Well, it just comes down to knowing it's inevitable...  It will all be out of date soon.

Also...  Windows doesn't even support some of the items I'd like to buy right now.  Which is making me wonder if buying Bulldozer CPU is worth it, knowing it's too new to know any potential problems.

Offline Canuker

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 7
  • Canuker has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 07:25:43 PM »
I'm no expert but I just bought and got this set up running the other day:

Intel I7-2600K and I added a Corsair cooler
Gigabyte GA Z68XP
Intel SSD 320 80gig HD
HIS Radeon HD 6970
16 Gig of Kingston HyperX Genisis RAM
Extra 2TB Seagate 5900RPM 64 cache HD
Coolermaster Box with a few extra fans and a dedicated liquid cooler/rad for the cpu

It runs like a beast doing everything that I want which is only BF3 and UO(lol) but OMG does BF3 ever look insane.  I have ideas about setting up a eyefinity next month if I can get the wife on board and I might drop a second card in to run crossfire.  ATM the SSD only runs windows on it and I'd like to keep it that way so I might also but another SSD to hold direct games but really the load times doen't seem any different as I at first loaded up BF3 to the SSD but ended up reformatting due to a failed attempt at using the SSD as cache in a RAID set up.  Long story and a longer night but that system you listed should rip anything you want up.
Nope!  I'm doing what all the real PvPers do:  Scripting everything except the running away part!  I'm real good at that already...

Tags: