Author Topic: Getting VS2012 Up and Running for Orich's C# Tutorial - Compatibility Issues  (Read 5094 times)

Offline slyoneTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • slyone has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
First, thanks to Orich for putting the time in to make the awesome tutorials.

I thought it might be helpful to post some reference information concerning Visual Studio since Orich uses VS2012 in his tutorial.  Note:  I've mostly used Visual Studio Express editions for C++ projects in the past.  My first introduction to C# was from Orich's tutorial. 

Multiple Versions of Microsoft Visual Studio
Microsoft's Recommendation
I have run into issues in the past with compatibility of multiple Microsoft Visual Studio installations on my computer.  To avoid compatibility issues, I recommend following Microsoft's advice: 

We recommend that you install Visual Studio versions in the order in which they were released. For example, install Visual Studio 2010 before you install Visual Studio 2012. -http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms246609.aspx

.NET Compatibility
When I downloaded Orich's sample oRune code, I noticed that his solution was saved in VS2012.  Then I went back and read his post more closely and sure enough he lists the code as

oRune Project   oRune BitBucket Project    Full VS2012 Source Code

I tried to open the oRune solution file and it seemed like my computer just sat there and did nothing.  So I tried opening VS2010 and opening the solution file from the file->open menu and I was prompted that it was an incompatible file version.  Well I wasn't going to let Visual Studio stop me from getting started.  Visual Studio Solution and Project files are just text files so I opened the solution file up in Notepad++ and changed the version number from
Code: [Select]
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 12.00to
Code: [Select]
Microsoft Visual Studio Solution File, Format Version 11.00This change tricks Visual Studio into thinking the solution file is a different version.  v11 corresponds to VS2010 while v12 corresponds to VS2012.

After that change, I was able to open the solution with VS2010.  Then I got a message stating that I did not have the .NET Framework 4.5 installed.  Again I double checked Orich's post but this time his post for the .NET dll.  Sure enough it requires .NET 4.5. 

Built on .NET 4.5 (Requires 4.5)

So I set out to figure out how to get .NET 4.5 installed.

I looked into downloading VS2012 and saw that it installs .NET Framework 4.5.  As a result of a couple Google searches on .NET framework compatilibity and VS2010 and VS2012, I found a good StackOverflow post discussing that very topic.  Basically, my understanding is that VS2010 can be compatible upgrading to .NET Framework 4.5 if you install VS2010 service pack 1.  I checked "Windows Update" for VS2010 SP1 and was able to update.  I also searched around and found a download for VS2012 Express edition along with its update.

After installing VS2012 with .NET Framework 4.5, I was able work through Orich's tutorial and get it working on my computer.

In summary:
1)  Installing multiple versions of Visual Studio on your computer can create compatibility issues.  These issues can be avoided if you follow the advice from Microsoft and install Visual Studio versions in the order of their release. 
2)  If you have VS2010 already and install VS2012, the .NET Framework 4.0 will be replaced by .NET Framework 4.5 and you will need to install VS2010 SP1 to make sure VS2010 can still see the .NET Framework 4.0.

Below are some helpful links to Visual Studio downloads:
2013 Express
2012 Express
2012 Express Update
2010 Express
2008 Express (C++)

For the Moderators:  If you think this post is in the wrong board please move it as you see fit.
Started playing back at the Second Age

Offline Orich

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Orich has no influence.
  • Respect: +12
    • View Profile
Have a .EDU e-mail?  Visual Studio is free. (Full versions, 2012 and 2013)

Great information!

I'd like to also add that if you have access to a .EDU e-mail address, you can go to www.dreamspark.com, sign up, and download all Microsoft development tools for free.

Dreamspark is run by Microsoft - 100% legit.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 08:40:04 PM by Orich »
Member of the Stealth development team.
Author of Stealth .NET DLL

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
    • View Profile
They still haven't sent me a key to my .edu email :(((

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!