Casa de TrailMyx > .NET Programming

Time to take the plunge

(1/5) > >>

12TimesOver:
I've decided to take the plunge and start learning a new programming language. Based on my background in MS technologies I thought the best jump for me would be to step off into VB.NET and C#.

I'm looking into my options for obtaining a licensed copy of Visual Studio because I thought this might be the best starting point but, of course, not being a developer by trade I can't justify the costs. I'm looking into options I have at work through our MSDN subscription but my job title is Lead Infrastructure Engineer so they may not want to help me out.

Any advice as to other ways to LEGALLY obtain licensing for Visual Studio? Any advice as to other options for VB.NET or C# development platforms? I would prefer to go the route of something that is seen as more standardized in the industry as I'd like the skills I begin to develop to be job-market applicable, including the development platform/s I get accustomed to.

Gracias mucho mis amigos!

X

gimlet:
Just a few thoughts - vb.net is part of excel now isnt it?

A friend of mine got an older copy of visual studio (2008?) from ebay or some other action site for next to nothing.

Just saying you dont need the absoulute laastest version

12TimesOver:
Actually that's not a bad idea at all, I certainly don't need the latest version. In fact, I would probably rather have an older version as my first experiments will need to run on older hardware and I'd probably have better luck with an older version of .net. Of course I still have much to learn so maybe I'm full of it lol!

Anyone have an older license they don't need anymore? ;)

Heading out to ebay to poke around...

X

TrailMyx:
You should give SharpDevelop a whirl, 12X.  I still prefer it over Visual Studio.  It bends toward C#, but why would you do anything else?  :)

12TimesOver:

--- Quote from: TrailMyx on October 22, 2012, 06:58:21 AM ---You should give SharpDevelop a whirl, 12X.  I still prefer it over Visual Studio.  It bends toward C#, but why would you do anything else?  :)

--- End quote ---
You tell me! ;)

I'll check out SharpDevelop.

X

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version