Casa de TrailMyx > Virtualization

Virtualization is the key to UO scripting success!

(1/12) > >>

TrailMyx:
Ok, so if you haven't tried to run a virtual machine yet with UO, I suggest you try.  You can easily get 4 instances of UO running on an average desktop computer.  The best thing about doing this is the VM instances don't interact with one another like they might if you try to use multiple clients on the same OS.

I'll try and go through the setup procedure for several popular VM software suppliers and you can come here to have some of your questions answered when you run into problems.  To get you started, here's some links for several popular VM clients:

VirtualBox Sun Microsystems
Virtual PC 2007 Microsoft Corporation
VMWare Workstation VMWare (the one I use mostly)
VMware Player VMware
Fedora Virtualization (Xen) Redhat

Also, here's a nice link describing the differences between the various Virtualization offerings:

http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/TechComparison

A word here about VMWare:

You'll find that I have a bias toward VMWare.  There's a few reasons for it:

1) Virtual machines will run from both Linux or Windows clients.  So I copy my "master" VM from my Windows world and linux, and it just "works".
2) VMware multithreads very well.  There are problems with some VM managers where they work fine with a single thread, but when you try to use more than one application, they will bog down.  VMWare handles this very well.
3) VMWare tools are fast.  Installing the video/USB/mouse drivers makes the machine very snappy.  Better than the others (and non existant in ZEN)
4) VMWare handles multiple CPU very well
5) Virtual machine cloning
6) VM snapshot capability and movie creation.
7) Lots more... I just can't remember them all now.

Cerveza:
I've always wanted to set this up, yet never really understood the procedure.

Anxiously awaiting a walk thru.

TrailMyx:
I will probably start with VirtualBox since that one is free to anyone and you can create your own virtual images.  (and it doesn't have anything to do with MS). 

Xclio:
I heart VMWare.  I have alot of licensed copies of it from work that I use at home for UO, makes heartwood running soo much easier because I can still use my computer while it is running ;)

12TimesOver:
I've used mostly Virtual PC for my desktop stuff with great success but haven't spent much time with VMWare Server. I do manage about 30 or so ESX hosts at work and I am a VMWare lover for sure. Of course you don't get the awesome enterprise ESX features with VMWare Server but considering ESX isn't free I wouldn't expect anything more.

Where I'm at is wanting to have a firm base of understanding for chosing MS Virtual PC or VMWare Server other than not wanting to us a MS product. Both are free. Both are easy to install and use. Both are well supported. Why then chose VMWare Server over Virtual PC 2007?

So, I decided to spend some time today setting up VMWare Server on my HP Workstation class PC here at work where I have Virtual PC 2007 running and see how things go. While I'm at it I figure I'll do some playing around with a Linux image.

Thanks for keeping the topics fresh TM!!

XII

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version