Casa de TrailMyx > Programming / Operating Systems

Video Editing, DVR's and Direct TV

(1/3) > >>

Ultima:
Some more questions for the geek squad! Don't take that the wrong way guys (Geeks).  I'm wanting to become a geek myself and envy those of you with the wherewithall and computer savvy.

I'm going to google and research on the internet but thought I'd ask the Jedi Masters here at ScriptUO some questions about video editing.

Here are the things I'd like to learn how to do:

1) Transfer movies from my DVR to my PC
2) Edit a 'movie' on my PC to create a trailer
3) Be able to post a movie or trailer on youtube
4) How can I download a Youtube Video to my PC? Or Can I even?

Is there a freeware Video program I should be using or can Windows Movie Maker and Media Center do the job?

Too many questions? But I'm just getting started!

I'm wanting to learn how to do some more things and become more computer savvy.

Where to start?

Masscre:

--- Quote from: Ultima on June 01, 2011, 06:56:18 PM ---Some more questions for the geek squad! Don't take that the wrong way guys (Geeks).  I'm wanting to become a geek myself and envy those of you with the wherewithall and computer savvy.

I'm going to google and research on the internet but thought I'd ask the Jedi Masters here at ScriptUO some questions about video editing.

Here are the things I'd like to learn how to do:

1) Transfer movies from my DVR to my PC    Need to know the brand of DVR
2) Edit a 'movie' on my PC to create a trailer    Yes you can I use Pinnacle
3) Be able to post a movie or trailer on youtube     you can do this with youtube built in software
4) How can I download a Youtube Video to my PC? Or Can I even?     I use MP3 Rocket it is freeware and can grab most online files for you

Is there a freeware Video program I should be using or can Windows Movie Maker and Media Center do the job?

Too many questions? But I'm just getting started!

I'm wanting to learn how to do some more things and become more computer savvy.

Where to start?

--- End quote ---

Once I know more info I can also give you more details to your questions.

Ultima:
I'm reading up on it and doing my own legwork...may just take a bit. I just wanted to see if anyone would bite :P

I think you can copy DVD's to PC with VLC.

And I think with an S Video Cable connected to your DVR and Video card you can download DVR content onto your PC with Media Center.

I think...I don't know for sure yet I'm still testing some things.

How else does one learn... right?

My DVR is h22 DirectTV.

I'll check out MP3 Rocket.

Thanks Massacre!

12TimesOver:

--- Quote from: Ultima on June 02, 2011, 05:48:34 PM ---I'm reading up on it and doing my own legwork...may just take a bit. I just wanted to see if anyone would bite :P

I think you can copy DVD's to PC with VLC.

And I think with an S Video Cable connected to your DVR and Video card you can download DVR content onto your PC with Media Center.

I think...I don't know for sure yet I'm still testing some things.

How else does one learn... right?

My DVR is h22 DirectTV.

I'll check out MP3 Rocket.

--- End quote ---
I don't know about using VLC for ripping your DVD's, I didn't realize you could even though VLC has been my media player software of choice for years. I've used other programs for ripping (DVD Shrink for example), but what I do know, and this statement is dangerously close to not being appropriate here at SUO based on our rules so I'll be careful, is that I found it easier and faster to just grab Torrents for the DVD's I own rather than ripping them myself. Ripping MP3's is no problem, I use Exact Audio Copier with Lame and I LOVE it. DVD's, and especially Blu-Ray's, can take way longer to rip/encode than they are worth IMO. If someone else has already done the work for me I'll take it. I have all of my physical media put away now with all the content in my Media Library.

I also HIGHLY recommend not using Windows Media Center unless you've equipped your HTPC with something like the Ceton InfiniTV card which requires it and since you're using a separate DVR I'm assuming you are only using Media Center as a media server. I would be doing you a major disservice if I didn't try to push you to XBMC instead; it is MUCH more flexible and customizable with an open-source mentality allowing for tons and tons of skins and add-ons.

Keep us posted on your progress Ultima, this topis is near and dear to my heart as well and there is SO damn much to learn that I'd be happy to capitalize on your efforts ;)

X

Ultima:
Good deal 12X I'm just starting to read and dabble a bit. I feel like I should have a better grasp on this stuff but it's all new to me. One of my intial concerns is downloading and experiment different software programs of unknown origin and having it cause me trouble later down the road.

From the majority of what I've been reading lots of the DVR seems coded/encrypted and the only real way to transfer DVR to PC (From what I've been reading) is with a TV Tuner card and then playing it and copying back in Real Time.

This will be an ongoing project for me. I probably didn't pick the best time to try and learn as school starts in a few weeks but my first Semeter is only 1/2 time so I should be okay to dabble.

Last night I used VLC to copy a DVD to PC but it was also in Real Time. Very slow transfer process. I didn't let the process finish though as I ran out of patience. I'm going to try again today to transfer a Movie to PC and let it copy as I go for my daily bike ride.

Your the one that turned me on to VLC. I'll post what I find in this thread just in case I stumble upon something good! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version