Casa de TrailMyx > Virtualization

Windows 7 beta virtual machine

(1/2) > >>

TrailMyx:
I recently setup a Windows 7 beta VM.  I used VMWare Workstation v5.58 and installed onto a pre-allocated 16 GB partition.  For a beta, it works pretty well.  I'm able to run EUO, SUO, UO without any problem.  UO performance is pretty snappy, however it's not nearly as fast as a WinXP or Win2003 installation.  There's definite window drawing lag due to the obvious code bloat of the newer OS.  But UO screen redraws are genuinely as fast as the older OSes.

I might try and get a VirtualBox VM up and running.  My guess is that you can't install this in a partition less than 16 GB.  Older OSes were easily able to live with 8GB, and I could even get a usable VM installed into Win2000 with only 4GB (including UO).

Overall, it works ok but I won't be running out to buy Windows 7 until I can upgrade my hardware.  I'm still running with my old AMD Athlon X2-4.4GHz.

12TimesOver:
Good to hear the results! I have been meaning to get a test up and running in Virtual PC but work has been insane lately. TBH I'm still getting up to speed on Windows 2k8 and Vista since I've avoided them like the plague until recently. I don't intend to use Vista until I have to however I've been pretty impressed with the clustering and file services features of 2k8 so far.

Looking forward to playing with 7.

X

Cerveza:

--- Quote from: TrailMyx on January 21, 2009, 02:05:37 PM ---I'm still running with my old AMD Athlon X2-4.4GHz.

--- End quote ---

Old?  :'(

Xclio:
I've got alot of friends that have been playing with Win7 for a while now and are really impressed  by it and are running it as their normal OS so it can get really tested out.  So far i haven't had a chance to really play with it yet so I will get around to it eventually.

TrailMyx:

--- Quote from: Cerveza on January 22, 2009, 06:37:44 AM ---
Old?  :'(

--- End quote ---

heh, well I'm normally on the bleeding edge of technology, but the Athlon X2 has served me SOO well, that I haven't really felt the urge to upgrade.  I owned my Pentium D for only 2 weeks before I HAD to upgrade.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version