Author Topic: Windows 7 beta virtual machine  (Read 11631 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Windows 7 beta virtual machine
« on: January 21, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »
I recently setup a Windows 7 beta VM.  I used VMWare Workstation v5.58 and installed onto a pre-allocated 16 GB partition.  For a beta, it works pretty well.  I'm able to run EUO, SUO, UO without any problem.  UO performance is pretty snappy, however it's not nearly as fast as a WinXP or Win2003 installation.  There's definite window drawing lag due to the obvious code bloat of the newer OS.  But UO screen redraws are genuinely as fast as the older OSes.

I might try and get a VirtualBox VM up and running.  My guess is that you can't install this in a partition less than 16 GB.  Older OSes were easily able to live with 8GB, and I could even get a usable VM installed into Win2000 with only 4GB (including UO).

Overall, it works ok but I won't be running out to buy Windows 7 until I can upgrade my hardware.  I'm still running with my old AMD Athlon X2-4.4GHz.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 7 beta virtual machine
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:24:28 AM »
Good to hear the results! I have been meaning to get a test up and running in Virtual PC but work has been insane lately. TBH I'm still getting up to speed on Windows 2k8 and Vista since I've avoided them like the plague until recently. I don't intend to use Vista until I have to however I've been pretty impressed with the clustering and file services features of 2k8 so far.

Looking forward to playing with 7.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 06:37:44 AM »
I'm still running with my old AMD Athlon X2-4.4GHz.

Old?  :'(
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:34:45 AM »
I've got alot of friends that have been playing with Win7 for a while now and are really impressed  by it and are running it as their normal OS so it can get really tested out.  So far i haven't had a chance to really play with it yet so I will get around to it eventually.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 09:37:19 AM »

Old?  :'(

heh, well I'm normally on the bleeding edge of technology, but the Athlon X2 has served me SOO well, that I haven't really felt the urge to upgrade.  I owned my Pentium D for only 2 weeks before I HAD to upgrade.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 04:38:30 PM »
One little issue with Windows 7 and VirtualBox.  UO seems to work with VMWare with WIN7 installed, but it crashes in the latest version of VirtualBox.  My guess it's a problem with VB since WIN7 works well with VMWare.  If anyone gets VB/WIN7/UO working, post it up!
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 06:54:45 PM »
Ah, never mind, I figured it out.  It's looking for the sound drivers, but VB doesn't load them on first start.  I turned them on and it seems to work now.  Cool beans.
Come play RIFT with me!

Scrripty

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »
I'm running Windows 7 and installed VMWare Workstation 6.5 build 118166.  I installed the SAME Windows 7 rc1 with the same serial into a VM.  Worked flawlessly, so I did it again.  I have a VM for every account I have, and can run each non stop independant of each other.  I'm looking now at using http send, or the UO chat window to send messages between clients for some serious scripting potential. :)  I read something about VMWare having the ability to "talk" between instances... was thinking maybe EUO could communicate between each other using that feature but haven't looking into it.  Anyone care to test? :)  For the record:  AMD Phenom X2 9950 Quad Core.  6 gigs ram.  Ati Radeon 4870X2.  Rest just normal stuff. Works BEAUTIFULLY.  I thought I read TM say something about VM having very good multithreading and it seems to be true, but I don't recommend putting a CD/DVD in the drive when running a bunch of VM's... haha  My computer had a fit since all of the VM's are configured to use the same DVD drive... :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:54:54 PM by Scrripty »

Tags: