Author Topic: Beginner tutorials anywhere?  (Read 5116 times)

Offline tyler84Topic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • tyler84 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Beginner tutorials anywhere?
« on: November 26, 2009, 02:02:09 PM »
I've noticed a number of tutorials on this board as well as on a few other sites, but it seems like the tutorials jump right into the meat of scripting.  I'd like to be able to create scripts that aren't currently on the site (from what I can see), plus, it's always nice to be able to do things for yourself  --teach a man to fish....

With that said, I've taken a basic computer programming class (it was Turing :P) so if I dust off my mental storage unit I'm sure I can recall a bit about the fundamentals.  Which programming language is most similar to the one EasyUO uses?  Secondly, if I wanted to find tutorials that start with small programs, get users accustomed to basic variable/functions a couple at a time and then expand with subsequent lessons, does that exist anywhere?  I guess I'm thinking that if it doesn't exist for this UO specific purpose, I can look up the comparable language for additional help. 

I've gone through a few of the tutorials on this site and read the Wiki (?) overview on EasyUO programming but found that was too much to chew all at once.  Maybe baby steps would be better for me.  Any advice? (besides a new hobby -hah!).  My backup plan is to dissect a script from these boards and figure out what everything does by breaking it.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner tutorials anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
If you want some help I have a little time here and there to help out.  Here is something to try to do that will help you learn alot.  Lets pick a box or chest or crate in your house ok?  Now that you have decided which one you will use lets move a weapon from your backpack into that chest using a script.  Very nice simple and easy script to do.  Have a look over ateasyuo wiki at what command you will need. Then I will help you walk through it.

Hint :

2 command You can use to make this happen Exevent drag and Exevent Dropc check them out.

post another post up when you are ready to start.

Offline Superslayer

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 14
  • Superslayer barely matters.Superslayer barely matters.
  • Well what do you drink? Not tea.
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 06:20:12 PM »
Another thing I found my self doing when first learning, was just walk around the UO world and find the ID's of things, the Type's of things, the XY locations and such. Masscre points exactly to the easiest and simplest 'first tut', and I couldn't agree more.  When you do write this script to move the weapon from one place to the other, be sure to use the F7 key in the EasyUO interface to 'Step through' your code so you can see it in action, one step at a time.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
I'm heading out for a fun weekend away so I may not respond after this post for a few days. 

I read a bit into the exevent drag and exevent dropc commands.  So I would need the ID or type of the weapon I wanted to drag, if type, convert it into a specific ID, then exevent drag (item ID), exevent dropc (temp or permanent variable respresenting container).

I notice there are a few ways I could open my backpack at the beginning of the script.  Is there a 'proper' way to do this?

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »
I notice there are a few ways I could open my backpack at the beginning of the script.  Is there a 'proper' way to do this?

Look at the event macro commands... thier is an event macro ?? ??  that opens the backpack.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:21:11 PM »
Good to see you working the old noggin and reading up like i mentioned.  When you get back let us know and I will give you some more things to think on and then we should be able to start your first script.

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »
Endless Night:  Looked it up again and after learning a bit more I understood how to do it, thanks.  I had been leaving out the second parameter.

Masscre:  OK so I've been reading up on some commands and such, absorbing the fact that there are many ways to do things.  I thought a good way for me to learn was to start writing something I'll use and ask questions as needed.

With that said, I started writing a script for donating to the library (I've dreaded doing this without easyuo).  There are three parts to the script I'm using.  The purpose is to recall to the various smithy shops, buy bucklers and donate them to the proper npc. 

I seem to have the donation part roughed out  --probably not the best it can be, but it works.  I figure I can add in the proper ways of doing things as I learn them.

Next I'm working on buying bucklers from the smiths.  I need to know how to open the npc gump using his id, and how to scroll down the item list and buy the item and quantity I'm looking for.  Is this with setShopItem?  I don't quite understand how to use this after reading the wiki page.

once that's done I'll work on recalling to the various shops.  One step at a time though :P

Post Merge: December 02, 2009, 08:17:22 PM
Looks complicated.  Maybe I can adjust one of the autobuy scripts.  I'll post results.

Post Merge: December 02, 2009, 06:20:49 PM
Aww, this script already exists.  hah.  I've lost a sense of purpose.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:20:49 PM by tyler84 »

Offline Noobie

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Noobie has no influence.
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 10:51:15 AM »
Tyler84,

Are you still around? I read this and got to wondering if you have been messing with scripting still or just gave up. I am really new at scripting as well, but have become hooked almost more on scripting then on UO. Keep messing with it and it will all come together sooner or later. Working with small snippets like that moving something from here to there is a great way to learn. My first thing was to learn how to make a hot key using EUO. I wanted to be able to hit a hot key and it pops my trapped box for para. I spent lots of time on the wiki reading and then trying stuff. Anyway I hope you are still around and have not given up.

Tags: