Casa de TrailMyx > Hardware Design

networking issues

<< < (2/3) > >>

TrailMyx:

--- Quote from: Khameleon on February 13, 2015, 04:06:55 PM ---honestly I don't know...

I know for a fact if I hardwire into the xfinity i'm at 50, if I wire into the router i'm at 20

--- End quote ---

What's the model number of your xfinity router?

12TimesOver:

--- Quote from: Khameleon on February 13, 2015, 04:06:55 PM ---honestly I don't know...

I know for a fact if I hardwire into the xfinity i'm at 50, if I wire into the router i'm at 20

--- End quote ---
What make/model is your router? Does it matter which port on the router you plug into?

Khameleon:
the Xfinity Cable Modem/Router is Arris tg862g/ct

Khameleon:
ok I did some testing, it doesn't seem to matter which port I'm coming out of from the x-finity modem

from the bottom to top speeds
from modem to computer 60.1 Mb/s port 1
from modem to router 17.55 Mb/s port 1
from modem to router 17.76 Mb/s port 2
from modem to computer 60.12 Mb/s port 2

the upload never changed though 12 Mb/s

I've read some ppl have called comcast to put there modem in Bridge mode, but I don't know if that will help my issue.

Alpha:
I have almost the exact same setup as you Kham.  I have comcast blast Internet with 50 down / 20 up and the same model Arris gateway.   I originally used the gateway as router and wifi but found out that it is setup to block port forwarding (I believe... not a networkin guy) which wouldn't allow me to download movies and such like I normally do.   I did notice that with an rj45 hard line from the gateway to PC I would get speeds at or above 50 down.    I ultimately had them put the gateway in bridge mode and have been using a 8 yr old 54 Mbs Linksys wifi router (2.4 Ghz) for some time now.   Using my own router with a hard line to pc I get maybe 40 Mbs down if I speedtest but ONLY for a short period AFTER power cycling my router.   I regularly get between 12 -22 down if I don't power cycle my router and that can degrade drastically.   My current problem is that if anyone streams with the wifi my desktop will straight up lose connection like it has 0 bandwidth.   I'm actually considering buying an up to date wifi router in hopes of that being an easy fix.   Otherwise I will have to do more research.   Its like my speeds degrade over time and power cycling the wifi router fixes that temporarily.   I unfortunately use 5 he triple play pckg... so the gateway has Void which makes it difficult to by my own modem and stop paying comcast 9-10 bucks a month for it.....   Anyway... bride mode might work well for you assuming my old as dirt router is my problem.... Good luck getting a tech smart enough to do it.   3.5 hours on phone when I did it.   Had to Google how to confirm it was done and then argue with multiple techs..... Apparently the best way to go about it is simply tell them to escalate the call.   I got to 3rd tier and took the guy 1 min at that point.    Keep me posted on what you find out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version