Author Topic: Running list of motherboards I've built with over the years  (Read 6984 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Running list of motherboards I've built with over the years
« on: April 02, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »
As promised, here's a list of motherboards and systems I've built over the years.  These are systems that I used starting from around 1989 till present.

1/2 way through the stack of motherboard manuals.  Presently at 21 systems. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15Q_Ll8_bfPX2ZcFUd8YlMx_1m85sE8j3vGw7VGZgxNk
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Gemviper

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Gemviper hides in shadows.
  • Respect: +57
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Running list of motherboards I've built with over the years
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
Celeron, it was such a leap ahead at the time, you were styling in game with that one! I started out on a Pentium II which my company kindly paid for as part of their "employee computer program" and I remember the difference when I upgraded well, lol. Right around the time I switched to playing DAoC(more graphics intensive than UO) from UO...

I don't have it anymore, but kinda wish I did. Those old systems are still cool(for some things).

Wish I had my old VIC-20 too, lol. I wonder if I'd remember how to PEEK and POKE still.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 10:29:05 PM by Gemviper »

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2017, 10:38:25 PM »
Going through this stack of manuals has brought back memories.  I remember doing a SLOT 1 Intel, SLOT A AMD, and a dual pentium 3 (I think I have that manual somewhere).  I'm sad that I probably don't have the manual from my first build.  I remember that was an AMD 386-40.  I also remember spending something like $900 on that SLOT1 Pentium2 back in the day.  That's when I decided I was never going to be the cutting edge and always bought budget-minded PC stuff.  That's sort of why I shifted to AMD aside from a few diversions.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 05:33:20 AM »
Well the cost of i7's is dropping fast all caused by your new chip!

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:39:27 AM »
I benchmark a few I5 and I7 a few years ago, I notice that some I5 was better then some I7.   It the balance that you need to find.     I also see that some build in video card  have a nice potential .

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:37 AM »
Now if only you'd stop buying Nvidia video cards...  ;)  The newer AMD cards are catching up in performance fairly quickly.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »
Now if only you'd stop buying Nvidia video cards...  ;)  The newer AMD cards are catching up in performance fairly quickly.

I'm a big Linux user.  So ATI/AMD drivers for that have always been a trainwreck IMHO.  After a few experiences with Linux support and ATI, I decided that they'd never get any more of my hard-earned money.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 12:21:06 PM »
Well the cost of i7's is dropping fast all caused by your new chip!

Intel has been raping the masses for far too long.  It's time to bring them back in the fold of affordability. 
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
I just bought a graphics cards last week for $95 from newegg

ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Dual-fan Edition DVI-D HDMI DP 1.4 Gaming Graphics Card (DUAL-GTX1050-2G)

Offline BobOzarius

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • BobOzarius has no influence.
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 03:23:42 PM »
You should see the Vulkan drivers go. I have no idea how support is working for Linux, because I'm not interested, but the new Vulkan drivers... omg. The load balancing on a multi core cpu is amazing.

I'm a big Linux user.  So ATI/AMD drivers for that have always been a trainwreck IMHO.  After a few experiences with Linux support and ATI, I decided that they'd never get any more of my hard-earned money.  ;)

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »
Updated my spreadsheet.  Went through all the manuals I have and the total is 40.  There's probably a couple that I've just forgotten about and didn't keep the manual (like my first build).  That one was interesting.  That was actually 3 systems (2 for my friends, 1 for myself)  Each one was a full tower 386-40 and each cost around $2000.  I jumped into the fire at the very beginning.  There were cooling issues on that motherboard; we had to fashion a heat sink for the chipset chip because it was overheating.

Attached is the notes I took back in 1991 when I was shopping for all the parts in The Computer Shopper. (back before you could use the web to research)

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
first build.jpg
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:55:35 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 06:37:55 AM »
I loved computer shopper!

My first was a 286-12 MHz with 640k of Ram!

and a

10 mega hard drive I thought I would never fill up!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
I loved computer shopper!

My first was a 286-12 MHz with 640k of Ram!

and a

10 mega hard drive I thought I would never fill up!

I loved the fact that nearly an entire tree was killed to produce one!  But I looked forward to that being published every month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_Shopper_(US_magazine)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.4%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
My first was an apple II knockoff which was cool. I then got a 386 which blew my mind until I upgraded to a 486. AOL was the bomb and I remember waiting up to 10 minutes to upload a scanned picture. My hard drive with the 386 was a 512mb HD which was filling up. I went to circuit city (I think) and bought a 2gb HD. I will never forget asking the salesman what he thought about the 2gb and he said man you will never ever fill that up. I don't think it was even 6 months before I was upgrading again. That stupid 2gb HD was $300!

Tags: