Author Topic: Crafting/ Imbuing perfect woodland gauntlets  (Read 21238 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Crafting/ Imbuing perfect woodland gauntlets
« on: May 26, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »
I thought I would walk through some numbers to get a picture on what would be involved in making the perfect woodland armor pieces under the current system using imbue and enhance to acheive the most powerful item possible.  If anyone has information that corrects any of my assumptions, or sees a problem with my math, please don't hesitate to provide correction.  I would like this to be as accurate as possible:

I. Crafting: Start by crafting woodland gauntlets from REGULAR WOOD exceptional items with minimum resists in one or two categories that you plan to imbue. I do not want balance as it costs you resist point on the imbue.  I prefer a piece as imbalanced as possible as imbue works up from the base resist for the item type and negates any points that were added from being exceptional and from arms lore.  These are simply lost points unless they are in a resist you are not going to imbue.  The points added by exceptional and arms lore do not count toward your overall imbue score or as one of your five properties.

II. PoF : use powder to raise the durability of your gauntlets.  On average it will take two per item.

III. Imbue : You should be imbuing your increased resists, plus an additional 300 points of properties

IV. Enhance. For the sake of this example I am enhancing with heartwood.

Example:  Woodland Guantlets Base Resists 5/3/2/3/2 (Base 15 Resist Points)

Random "EAL" Resist Points (20 Max)
Points available from Exceptional: 15 randomly distributed points
Points available from Arms Lore: 1 additional point per 20 points of arms lore for a total of 5 randomly distributed points

If you are crafting exceptional items with 100 Arms Lore, the items will have 35 resist points, 20 of these points randomly distributed.  If you enhance a resist without regard to the random point distribution, you lose an average of 4 points per imbue. If you are adding one imbue of 15 points, an average imbue without regard to random points would add 15 points and lose 4, for a total of 46 resist points out of a possible 50.  If you added two resist properties, which is what I generally shoot for, you would be adding 30 resist points and losing 8 for a total of 57 out of a possible 65 total resist points.  It's really hard to get a piece with two minimum resists.

If you screen for two minimum resists prior to imbue, the rate of return on crafting for two minimum resists is one in 16,666. At 15 boards and 4 bark per piece this would mean 249,990 boards and 66,664 bark fragments if you could craft exceptional items 100% of the time. You can bring that up to 1 in 10,000 (150,000 boards and 40,000 bark) by giving up 2 points of overall resist, but you get the point. Unfortunately a GM carpenter only crafts exceptional woodland gauntlets at a rate of 35%. Assuming you have a decent talisman, you can increase this to 50% to 55%.  It's really hard to preserve the points on your piece and you should count on giving up 3-4 total resist points prior to enhancing.

Enhancing:

Heartwood adds 2/3/2/7/2, so the new "base" for heartwood woodland gauntlets is 7/6/4/10/4, provided the enhance occurs after any imbue increases as imbue eliminates points that are added from special material. If we assume 2 lost EAL points, full strength imbue on Physical and Fire, and even distribution of the remaining 18 EAL points between the other three resists, the piece might look like this: 22/21/10/16/10 for a total of 79 total resist points.  

According to Stratics the rate of success on the enhance based only on the resists as a percentage is 20 + Current Resist -1% if you are GM.  The rate of succes on our example is approximately 15%, with the rate for failure that doesn't break the item adding an additional 10%. This means you would destroy the item on three out of four attempts to enhance. Based on the rate for the initial attempt and the rate at which items are destroyed, the overall rate of success is around 18%.  This rate of return means that in general you should count on crafting five gauntlets to end up with one piece of armor.  

Stratics has no information on the success/breakage rate based on the additional properties that can be added other than luck, durability and lower requirements.

Heartwood adds one of seven properties at random: Luck 40, Durability 50%, Lower Requirements 20%, Damage Increase 10%, Lower Weight 50%, Hit Chance Increase 5%, Mage Armor

Based on this information, the perfect set of gauntlets would require:

2,499,900 wooden boards
666,640 bark
10 Powder of Fortifying
100 Boura Pelts
100 Diamonds
100 Rubies
200 Magical Residue
75ish Heartwood

Multiply these numbers by seven if you are looking for a specific random Heartwood property.

Using this process this would be possible* in a set of woodland gauntlets (or some other variation):

5% HCI
8% LMC  (110 intensity points)
+8 Stam (100 intensity points)
18% LRC (90 intensity points)
81 Total Resists

*And would cost a king's ransom in ingredients...  ;)

If you are willing to give up six points off of the total and get a piece with 75 total resists by getting two resists within three of the minimum, then you will average making 1250 pieces to get one.

By way of comparison, you should only need to make 100 pieces to get one with a single resist at the minimum, which would leave you four more properties and 66 total resists.  I am not sure its worth the extra resources.  
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:33:09 PM by Paulonius »
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Crafting/ Imbuing perfect woodland gauntlets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »
Nice!  A bit of karma comes your way!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
Wow You got my curiosity up Paul now I am going to have to start checking this out some plus I have a round 2 - 3 mil boards on the home shard if they are still there :)

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:49:13 AM »
I wrote a little script to screen for resists to play with the idea of getting minimum resist items and its not that tough to do. However, I have not finished that script and I handed it over to someone recently for further development.  If I don't see it emerge on the boards soon I may go back to it myself.  I got a sense of the staggering investment involved in making "the perfect" armor suit from playing with it and thought I would work out the details a bit more and share it with folks...

Thanks for the Karma TM!! 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 11:01:05 AM »
A script would seem fairly simple, craft the regular item and check it's resists to see if it's "worthy" of proceeding. If so, drop it into a secure, if not - drop it in a trash barrel.

But what resists would you consider worthy of proceeding?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline NObama

• Everything I need to know, I learned from Miffy's Item Finder.
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +161
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:32:03 AM »
@ Cerv - Any piece with a 4 in one resist is worth proceding (to me).  I will take a 5 or 6 in anything except poison resist, though, since poison gives the +7 when enhancing.

@ everybody - you're crafting woodland armor, so use an axe to destroy it instead of trashing it.  My trash barrel fills too quickly these days.

@ everybody - this is actually a lot tougher than you think, too.  I don't know how the properties for heartwood are determined, but Murphy dictates that if you're trying for an exceptional 5% HCI piece, you'll get exceptional everything-but-that or non-exceptional 5% HCIs.

I burned a lot of heartwood doing this backward (crafted with special material).  I think I had to turn out an average of 30 pieces to get an exceptional 5% HCI.  DI seems to be the next rarest; anecdotally, I generated 3 DI pieces for every HCI piece.

EDIT: @Paul - fantastic thread!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:34:35 AM by NObama »

Offline luv2luvlong

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • luv2luvlong has no influence.
  • Respect: +14
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 12:06:30 PM »
Nobama
Secure your trash barrel and that problem will go away. When it hits 125 objects automatically empties and weight is unlimited.
"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle" - Sun Tzu in reference to his five points of victory.

Offline NObama

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.NObama is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 04:21:32 PM »
Nobama
Secure your trash barrel and that problem will go away. When it hits 125 objects automatically empties and weight is unlimited.

ooooh....nice!  Now, if only I had 125 dpare lockdowns...

:-\

Offline onlyindreams

• Spaz Ferret's Personal Assistant
  • Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 13
  • onlyindreams barely matters.onlyindreams barely matters.
  • Respect: +96
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 05:49:54 PM »
Nobama

ooooh....nice!  Now, if only I had 125 dpare lockdowns...

:-\

I had that problem til I moved from my 18x18 to a keep. Unravel everything you don't need. Everything is replaceable with imbuing, except rares.... Speaking of, has anyone else noticed that items no longer have the faction tag next to the crafters name?

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:45 PM »
My script will craft wood armor... think its still somewhere around this website... I need to update it and actually move it into the library. A very powerful script if you know how to use it.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »
MWinc, I looked at yours and didn't understand it right away, so I dusted off my craft for resists script again, made a few modifications to set it up to make five each of five different leather armor pieces saving any with one minimum resist. Rather than the 1% yeild I was expecting, I got 5%, and I think I have three with two minimum resists. 

It's equally likely I just don't understand probability problems, but I seem to have a hazy memory of something that suggests that switching the equation around so that I was selecting for any resist at minimum value rather than one resist adds the 1% probability for each together... where is a math teacher when I need one?

-Mario Andretti

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2010, 03:20:26 PM »
To Be honest, I don't even understand my script. When I wrote it I was having it make pieces of armor with maximum resists. then I went wait...... and switched it around to minimum, then I added in minimums and maximums for resistances so exact pieces of armor could be crafted. Lol
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline NObama

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »
To Be honest, I don't even understand my script. When I wrote it I was having it make pieces of armor with maximum resists. then I went wait...... and switched it around to minimum, then I added in minimums and maximums for resistances so exact pieces of armor could be crafted. Lol

aaaaand now MY head hurts.

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »
I have mine running so that it pulls any peice with a minimum resist and it gets a hit on about 5% of items, so not bad at all.  I made about 40 items with a minimum resist today and got three that had two minimum resists and quite a few that had one minimum and one that had one or two stray points.

I also put in code to pull pieces with 15 or more in any resist, which would require a bit more than half of the 20 random points landing on one resist.  In over 1000 pieces crafted it didn't pull one of these.

-Mario Andretti

Offline Alpha

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 10
  • Alpha barely matters.Alpha barely matters.
  • Respect: +44
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 11:34:19 PM »
Paulonius Said:
I also put in code to pull pieces with 15 or more in any resist, which would require a bit more than half of the 20 random points landing on one resist.  In over 1000 pieces crafted it didn't pull one of these.

So far as I know if your GM Armslore & the piece is Exceptional you get 20 points randomly distributed.  The Maximum any one resist can have added to it appears to be 12 out of the 20 with the odds of that happening being 1/3000 or so....  I will also add that the higher the base resist is the LESS likely it appears to be to have the max of 12 (out of the 20) applied to that Resist.  Leather armor has a 4% base fire resist for instance & the odds of crafting a 16% Fire resist are definately less than the 1/3000 I've seen for the other's...  Crafting a piece with exceptional bonuses of at least 10 physical & 8 fire for instance is INSANELY difficult... over 100k pc's so far lol.... just a matter of time though.. (or so I keep telling myself)

Tags: