Author Topic: Business Internet  (Read 2536 times)

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Business Internet
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:41:12 PM »
I need a static IP and decent internet for my new office and wonder what people think about the offer I have from Charter Cable in St. Louis.  16Mdown/2MUp for 109.99 a month. Or 25/3 for 199 a month.

Both seem a bit pricey.  Is there a better option? 

It is my understanding that I need the static IP so that the computer can be remotely accessed to use crappy software that has to reside on it for one of my insurance companies.  Is there a better way to remote into the computer? 
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Business Internet
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »
I use my normal cable connection and a utility called "DNS2GO" from Deerfield.com

http://dns2go.deerfield.com/

I've been using it for years to tack down my IP address.  It's a minimal yearly fee; it's been worth it.

Once it's tacked down, I can either SSH tunnel into it, or VPN.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline PauloniusTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 03:03:35 PM »
Hmmm.  I have internet available through the shared space I am using, but its on their server.  Do you think that would work to give me a static?

What do you pay Deerfield?
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:50 PM »
I'm one of the early adopters, so it's not that expensive for me.  Normal price is $24.95/year.  What it does is resolve to a pre-determined URL, so even though your IP address changes, the URL re-syncs with the Deerfield.com DNS server and nobody notices a change as long as they address your server through the URL.

I use it to basically keep my home server resolved all the time, but I've never used it for business purposes.  Should work OK, however.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
I used to use a couple other Deerfield products years ago, one to allow the sharing of a single modem across the network on a Windows NT server. Always liked those guys!

When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 05:40:01 PM »
I use. www.dyndns.com there are normally free but you can send a donation or buy a domain.  They are a dns redirection service and are very good.  I have used them and there software since the late 90's and they are still going strong.  They would also work for your static ip problem. Get a normal service and use them to redirect each time to the same ip when you try to access your computer.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 05:42:24 PM »
Do they have an application that "phones" back the IP address changes?
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
I use dyndns.com to host all 3 of my sites. If you have a router, just go into the DNS service section (I know for sure all Linksys and Netgear routers have them) and you can pick a dns provider and it will keep the IP synced with the DYNDNS server so that you never have any issues. It works wonderfully and you dont have to pay the exorbitant overhead for a static IP. However, if a lot of people will be using the site, I would suggest having a better upload speed than the typical residential service usually has
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
ah, ok.  I use a linux server as a gateway.  I need a method to make the re-sync.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:39:40 AM »
I use DD-WRT on an oldschool Linksys WRT54G router!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: