Author Topic: Tethered Droid VS WWAN  (Read 6433 times)

Offline manwincTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Tethered Droid VS WWAN
« on: September 17, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »
So, I'm trying to stream netflix to my computer using my WWAN.

It is supposed to have a DL speed of  1 mb/s, and I have a 300$ Antenna on top of my 3 story house to boost my signal to the maximum. Well, it took about 15 minutes to buffer 10 minutes worth of a show and i was like THIS IS BS. My dl speed averaged about 200 kb/s. I was FURIOUS. Even went to speedtest.net and it was showing a DL speed of 500 kb/s max.

SO, I whip out my android phone, no ANTENNA, 3 bars of signal, and go to speedtest.net. OH what do you know 1.1 mb/s.

Just goes to show you that ANY phone company that charges you 60$ A month for 5 GB worth of download is going to have REALLY bad internet.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Tethered Droid VS WWAN
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
I dumped my WWAN connect for just this reason.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 08:28:48 PM »
Well, if I could get an antenna for my droid then I would, but havent had much time to go inquire about the connection for it and my present antenna.  Where I live is like this

*Dsl/Cable - 5 Miles away

|Tower|
        /
HILL /
    _
  /
/        Me          |about 500 Acres of COW PASTURE| |About 200 Acres of Forest| | A whole Lot more of Nothing||Tower|
\
  \
   -    (Huge Pond FTW)
      \
Hill    \
         \

I have 0 Signal from the tower actually near me because of the hill, and the nearest tower with signal is soooo far away anything without an antenna fluctuates way too much.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 08:30:36 PM »
Ouch, you should try CUP---------string------------CUP.  :p
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:05 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Thanks. I think thats what the phone companies think when I call them 4x a year to ask them if they ever plan on bringing DSL out here at the least. Doesn't Help our neighbor owns 80% of the land on the main road and has it for cow pastures.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:39:05 PM by manwinc »
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:13 PM »
Now if you could attach WAN repeaters to the cows and have their methane emissions power them, I think you'd be good to go.  hehe.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 10:44:30 PM »
So far here are my plans.

Plan A: Buy 5 miles of coaxial cable and steal someones internets.... laying cable through the woods to my house.
Plan B: Harass every internet company I can until I get kickass internet.
Plan C: Find UFO, Steal Technology
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 08:35:51 AM »
Sign me up for that alien technology when you get it!
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 08:41:50 AM »
Whether or not anyone wants o agree with me or not those signals are line of sight. To get mine back in 2007 before we had DSL I did all the home work and put up an 90 foot Rohn tower and ran POE to power the repeater antenne i had at the top most point and used this and it worked great the reason i place the repeater so close tot eh antenna is the longer the cable between the too the more signal loose.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 09:49:25 AM »
Definitely line of sight.  The frequency is such that it only works best LoS.  Just like FM transmission vs. AM.  Atmospheric conditions don't help at the transmission frequencies of cellular or WWAN.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 10:14:10 AM »
Yeah, antenna on the roof of my 3 story house is as best As I will get with all the trees surrounding. Don't think I could put up a 90 foot tower, OR that my parents would like that on their property LOL
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 05:21:51 PM »
Yeah, antenna on the roof of my 3 story house is as best As I will get with all the trees surrounding. Don't think I could put up a 90 foot tower, OR that my parents would like that on their property LOL

Just a helpful suggestion, although one that worked for me :)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 08:04:38 PM »
Having had Wave & Optics as well as Signal Processing, you are ALMOST correct on Line of Sight for these signals. Their speed/frequency makes the almost explicitly line of sight, but does allow for SOME refraction around obstructions. So essentially, if it's not line of sight, it has to be close enough to "peek" around the corners. In urban areas (beyond the multitude of repeaters), they actually depend on this refraction to bounce around between the large buildings. They also use lower frequencies that penetrate THROUGH buildings (some better than others) as well.

Unless of course the builders used this paint: http://gizmodo.com/157991/naturalnano-develops-cellphone+blocking-paint
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »
Well, between me and the nearest cell phone tower is nothing but tree's. and my house is basically exactly a little bit taller than most of the hardwood tree's in my area. Only thing I can really think that might help is clearing some of the branches of the tree's directly in front of my house (Figure they might be causing the BIGGEST obstruction).

But even then my hypothesis is just that verizons wwan connection just suxxors and they know it.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
Oh definitely...I was not commenting on the suckage of verizon, I assumed that was a known fact  ;)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: Verizon Suxxors