Author Topic: The END of EUO.  (Read 32280 times)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The END of EUO.
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »
What other script platforms are out there? I'm not really interested in redeveloping all of my scripts for this next generation of cheffes goat rodeo.  >:(

Giving the finger to 90% of your user base to force them to migrate to an incomplete platform is BS.

If I can find a good stable platform I'll give him the finger right back.

if you find one let us know.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »
There was a couple others (links here if you look around) but they haven't really had any adoption.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2010, 06:05:49 PM »

One thing that's generally accepted is that a strict EUO-->Lua convert would be impossible.  Since Lua cannot loop with goto and has no facility to "continue" from a looping construct, then it's difficult to reconstruct the original execution intention.

What will work is an interpreter that's written in Lua.  That's already been started by Cheffe.  That project just needs some traction.

Hence why no one should ever use GoTo's or Break/Continue! I believe I've written a few posts about this!! Poor programming habits will always come back to bite you!!  ;)

As for TopTwo's view, I believe what he's trying to convey is that by now, we're all practically in a common law marriage with EUO. It's like the one who owns the house has been saying "You know, I think we should move to (insert some far away place here)" and you say "Eh, I don'y really wanna move there" and you have these conversations over a couple years, and one day, you come home and there's a note in chalk on the sidewalk saying "Hey! I sold the house and moved! You can come join me if you want to!"

I think we can all agree that that kind of behavior is totally uncalled for and downright hurtful if you truly cared about the other person. That's all I'm going to say on that topic.

As for myself, I have barely had time to maintain my current scripts and have tons of features I still wish to add to them. In the last 3 years I've learned C, C++, C#, Java, Verilog, MATLAB, SQL, PHP, ASP.NET, and am currently learning Objective-C. I simply do not have time to confuse myself with one more language, especially one as different from the rest as Lua.

I am honestly more inclined to learn about client interaction and write my own version of EasyUO that would support the EUO language as well as fix the numerous outstanding errors, possibly even working with TM to make it SUO compatible. I will not have time for a project of that scope until next summer, so I will be back then to re-evaluate.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2010, 06:11:44 PM »
Well I disagree with the break/continue.  They are available widely in most languages.  Why Lua has break and NOT continue is still mystifying.  Without those, getting out of a looping construct requires you to set flags and all other kinds of nonsense.  There's a reason why Cheffe added them to the original EUO 1.5.  1.42 didn't have them.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 06:18:24 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2010, 06:18:54 PM »
Sorry, I've had a professor that (while quite insane) is also quite brilliant and gave an entire lecture on how goto (or a similar construct) as well as breaks/continues make it impossible for one to mathematically prove working code. Now, that being said, MOST languages cannot be mathematically proven correct and error free, however there have been some in the past that were able to pull this off. So on principle, I will have to also disagree that goto, break, and continue should never be used. (even though I understand why people like to use them) Though I must say I have way more of a problem with goto than I do with break/continue! (And let's be honest, the name "break" alone just doesn't sound good when you're coding!)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2010, 06:25:45 PM »
I was reprimanded finally by one of my professors way back in the early 90s for embarrassing him constantly by beating his programming challenges.  So they are far from perfect or even enlightened.  Crazy?  Yes probably.  hehehe

Anyhow, break/continue are necessary with constructs like for/while/repeat.  How do you escape from them otherwise?  Add more states or spaghetti?  No thanks.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2010, 06:40:42 PM »
How do you escape from For, While, Repeat? Well that's simple! Meet the criteria of your loop! If you're not sure when your loop will find what it's looking for, then use flags!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2010, 06:44:55 PM »
How do you escape from For, While, Repeat? Well that's simple! Meet the criteria of your loop! If you're not sure when your loop will find what it's looking for, then use flags!

My statement remains "Yuck, no thanks."  Say "no" to the nth useless flag...
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2010, 07:07:09 PM »
Be have boys !! To join in the fun if I may. Being the safety cons. person I am you need these checks in the code and in an industrial envirnment you have lives on your hands. So I have to agree with MadDogs thoughts on gotos being bad and using flags to monitor your loops. It is just good code.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2010, 07:46:37 PM »
well thiers a 100 ways to skin a cat APPARENTLY .. same same with code.

TM likes his break/continue...

Personally i never use GOTOs, BREAK, CONTINUE  or have more than one RETURN in a function/sub.

But thats just me.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Scrripty

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2010, 09:13:07 PM »
I'll use a hammer if that's what it takes.  Break, continue, while, repeat, goto, I dont care, as long as it works how I want it to work. :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.6%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »
Be have boys !! To join in the fun if I may. Being the safety cons. person I am you need these checks in the code and in an industrial envirnment you have lives on your hands. So I have to agree with MadDogs thoughts on gotos being bad and using flags to monitor your loops. It is just good code.

Lol, well then you're GONNA LOVE Lua.  :p
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2010, 03:18:18 AM »
"I've wasted 2 years of my life on this crap so you will help me finish it in 2 weeks damnit"

Yeah, Cheffe is a stable person and excellent programmer. [/sarcasm]

I *love* how he keeps going back to the fact that he's spent these endless hours doing something that nobody in particular wants. Now he'll be over run with "this doesn't work" and "can it do this" requests that are going to drive him to quit the entire project altogether.

All because he can't put out a solid product, then he complains that it's too time consuming for JUST HIM to work on, yet he won't allow anyone else to work on it.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Adenocard

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Adenocard has no influence.
  • Respect: +18
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2010, 04:17:44 AM »
Well its pretty shitty. Talk about a freaking drama queen. I would pay someone have a proggie that used easyuo scripts. Then I would go public!

Offline TRAMMEL15

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • TRAMMEL15 has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2010, 04:51:16 AM »
Almost everytime UO put out a new patch, cheffe or someone had to update euo for it to function again on EA shards... I am just trying to figure out why someone else is not able to continue updating the program. I suppose it is clearly a difficult process, but the instant death of thousands of good functioning scripts creates a disturbance my force. Cheffe is the death star and he blew up Alderaan? !! :'(

Tags: