Author Topic: Installing a new hard drive!?  (Read 14834 times)

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Installing a new hard drive!?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
+1
Well i carn't live without these .. but you might not need them

skype - older version latest crashes to much for me..  ver 4.2   (international family)
Trillian - again old version v3 basic (free)

If I was doing a fresh install i probably would look for a substitute for Trillian... as i don't like the direction they took which is why i'm using an old version.  Same with Skype i'm sure Microsoft is going to make changes on that when they take full ownership

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »
+1
I came to like Pigdin when Trillian was acting wonky.  Works well in Linux too.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:23 AM »
+1
Ah right, forgot about both Pidgon and Skype - have both of those loaded as well.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Online gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
+1
I also like IrfanView as an editor for graphics

and screenhunter 5 free for screen capturs.

Offline UltimaTopic starter

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 10:29:59 AM »
+1
Thankyou everyone for providing good references and feedback! I'll be looking into some of those programs one by one.

Bad news is my activation key didn't work. I ended up borrowing my friends Win 7 Disk and since we both had Dell I though the OEM might work but looks like it's digitally encrypted for each specific computer. Win 7 loaded up with everything without asking for a product key so I thought I was in the clear.

So now I'm not sure what to do...

It's kind of a bummer that if you buy something you really don't have a hard copy or any type of "ownership" over it. Like what happens with these student/digital downloads. It's that computer and that computer only. What if I my hard drive dies.

Looks like one of my hard drives may be going bad so I'm hesitant to actually buy Win 7 key or the 'Family Pack'. And the other one I reinstalled on has issues which is why I had to attempt and reinstall.

This has been a good thread and I'll bookmark it for future refernce when I figure out what route I'm going to take.

Thanks guys I do appreciate! 8)

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
+1
Thankyou everyone for providing good references and feedback! I'll be looking into some of those programs one by one.

Bad news is my activation key didn't work. I ended up borrowing my friends Win 7 Disk and since we both had Dell I though the OEM might work but looks like it's digitally encrypted for each specific computer. Win 7 loaded up with everything without asking for a product key so I thought I was in the clear.

So now I'm not sure what to do...

It's kind of a bummer that if you buy something you really don't have a hard copy or any type of "ownership" over it. Like what happens with these student/digital downloads. It's that computer and that computer only. What if I my hard drive dies.

Looks like one of my hard drives may be going bad so I'm hesitant to actually buy Win 7 key or the 'Family Pack'. And the other one I reinstalled on has issues which is why I had to attempt and reinstall.

This has been a good thread and I'll bookmark it for future refernce when I figure out what route I'm going to take.

Thanks guys I do appreciate! 8)

So what's going on, you can't actually login to the computer now?

The activation key was probably already registered by your friend so you would have to call MS and "move" it (although OEM can throw a twist in that process). You can easily download other activation keys, even directly from Microsoft, but you do need to own a license eventually or install a crack which is not appropriate discussion for these boards.

Windows 7 is a PITA like that. If you can get to a DOS prompt you can typ "slmgr /rearm" which should buy you a little time at least.

X

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 11:33:49 AM »
+1
So what's going on, you can't actually login to the computer now?

The activation key was probably already registered by your friend so you would have to call MS and "move" it (although OEM can throw a twist in that process). You can easily download other activation keys, even directly from Microsoft, but you do need to own a license eventually or install a crack which is not appropriate discussion for these boards.

Windows 7 is a PITA like that. If you can get to a DOS prompt you can typ "slmgr /rearm" which should buy you a little time at least.

X

Yes the activation key is registered to my roommate who still needs it. So no moving it around, he was just being a nice guy in trying to help me out.  It was worth a shot.

It didn't always used to be this way. :-[

I can still login and access my PC however under System Information it states it will activiate in 3 days or activate now which I tried and says invalid license/key. So the countdown has begun....

I googled what happens when the activation timer expires and I think the consensus is you get a black screen of death asking for the license key. :o

It's really a bummer because I was already liking the look and feel of Windows 7.

I'm looking at all these programs and they're so damn expensive and on top of that it's like a one shot deal. Madness...

I understand these companies (Microsoft in this case) want to protect themselves from theft however once "I" buy something from them "I" should be able to use that product in perpetuity on any computer I want.

Am I preaching to the choir?

Offline 12TimesOver

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
+1
Do the rearm I mention above. You just need a valid key at some point and away you go. You buy one copy you can use it on one machine at a time, you can move it if you change PC's. I believe it has to do with the CPU, not the hard drive although I may be "mis-remembering".

Slmgr is the microsoft activation management utility, although I've only used it on Windows 7 Pro so not positive this is applicable to Home. Give it a whirl, you are usually allowed 5 rearms.

slmgr /rearm

X

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 11:51:41 AM »
+1
Well u can always go back to using winxp pro... its still a decent os.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 12:28:40 PM »
+1
I think I actually got the EC client running under Linux.  I just wanted to see if it was possible, then I deleted it.  ;)
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
+1
WAIT BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE!!!

Getting a valid key is quite simple!!! First, open the activation dialog, choose the Activate By Phone option...it should give you a number to call. You will need his original product key (no worries, both his and yours will be activated fine afterwards). When prompted, provide them with the product key (or activation key or whatever it tells you to give them) and when they ask how many computers it is installed on, simply say ONE. You will then be provided with a key that you enter into the activation dialog box. Click OK/Apply/Whatever and you're both good to go!! I've done this a million times with multiple versions of all different Microsoft OS's and it's actually quite painless.

If you want to know what this technically is doing, here's the details. Microsoft allows 1-3 activations to process regularly. After it hits the "limit," you simply need to call them and follow this process. This is because someone may be reformatting their computer once a year and they would have exceeded their max. for activations. As long as you tell them it's only on 1 computer, they'll generate a new key for you every time. I have my personal copy of Win7 64bit installed on 6 computers (simultaneously and all receive windows updates perfectly fine) and my 32bit copy on 10+ computers (that's the one I let friends use if they need a free copy).

If you have any problems, just post here!

Make sure you do this before the activation period ends! Otherwise it will be a pain in the butt!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 01:55:41 PM »
+1
My roommates Win7 installation disk came with a labtop where Win7 was already installed I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I'm not seeing a Certificate of Authority (multi-color label)  that contains a product key anywhere on his labtop. My two Dell desktops have the COA label  but I don't see anything on his labtop. I'll ask him when he gets back.

Good to know that if I was to end up buying Win7 I could reactivate on another computer if I had hard drive failure. I've had problems with both my computers and I'm not 100% sure if it's the hardware or the software. So that does instill a little confidence in me.

I'm going to have to buy Microsoft Office for school which is why I want to make sure I have a stable virus free computer going into my school term.  I'm attending school to study in PC Applications (Excel, Word, Database) to get Associate of Science Degree in 'Microcomputer Applications'. The goal is to get some skills to get into an office environment. Perhaps get certification in several of the Microsoft Application to better sell myself to a prospective employer. Job market is still crazy guys, it's been bad for years now. I thought things would have improved just a little but it hasn't which is why I'm headed back to school.

I'm also have tempted to look into IT and working as a computer tech but I'll be starting from ground up. Hey I installed the hard drive and it was fun messing around with the stuff. It'd be nice to take an introductory class to see where I have the most aptitude. Many of the classes I want to take aren't part of my school curriculum. CAD, Quickbooks, Compter Tech IT Class...I'm wanting to take those classes as well and get well rounded but I have to do all my undergraduate work.

I'm scheduled to take Microsoft Excel 2007! I don't understand why they're offering those courses when it's 2011-12 and there is Excel 2010 out there. Kinda ticks me off. I want to get schooled on the latest and most current programs!

Enough rambling...

Thanks again all of you for the solid input.

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
+1
I've done this before without issue.  Sometimes when my BIOS updates, it forces Microsoft and their blood-leechs into action.
Come play RIFT with me!

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 02:19:15 PM »
+1
No luck on the Win 7.  However I just found a Windows Vista CD with a code. I knew it was around here somewhere....

Win 7 will have to wait. :-[
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 04:06:04 PM by Ultima »

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »
+1
The end result was me formatting and reinstalling Windows Vista on both of PC's! Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this thread to offer up advice.

Both the Classic Client and the EC Client are patching normally and working.

It was good to learn about some of the other programs you guys are using and support.

TM your willing to vouch Pigdin and that it's secure?

ICQ is really bad...you get someone trying to add you every few minutes!

Tags: