Author Topic: I Didn't Realise How Good UO Was Until Now  (Read 2087 times)

Offline MishmashTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • Mishmash has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
I Didn't Realise How Good UO Was Until Now
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »
Hi, I'm Pip and have just returned to UO after several years away.

I started playing at around the release of T2A. I'd been aware of UO for a while before having played the stand alone Ultima games from IV onwards but was unwilling to risk the expected high telephone bill from the PAYG internet service that was available at the time. As soon as a fixed price unlimited download service was available we (my wife and I) started an account. After a month I started a second account for myself and then my son started an account too, (3 networked PCs in the house, that poor modem earned it's keep).

WE played mainly on Europa although I also spent a bit of time on Siege as the game play became increasingly restricted for my thief character. Although I did try a little PvP I sucked at it Royally so am a confirmed Trammelite these days.

Of course, like everyone else we were looking for ways to avoid repetitive strain injuries. I smiled in recognition at the mention, in other posts, of rolls of coins holding keys down to repeat macros. In my case it was an old nail varnish bottle (the wifes not mine, no really, it was, "Blush Pink" so not my shade at all). As time went on we found our days being scheduled around powerhour to get that 0.5 gain in Smithing as you burnt your way through 10K of ingots. It must have been about then that I finally let go the last vestiges of any anti-scripting feeling I had and sought out EasyUO.

What a relief that was! I was interested in trying to figure out how the scripts worked and applying slight modifications etc but I was never confident enough to try writing my own from scratch. (My programming experience consists of CECIL, Basic & Fortran now all long forgotten). Often just to get a script working felt like a pretty big achievement.

After four years of playing RL got in the way I took a break then went and tried a few other games although I did keep popping back to look at UO from time to time (account age is showing 78 months)

YES I did the WoW thing for a couple of months, as well as a whole raft of other MMO's including DAoC, Conan, LOTRO and  PotBS as well as doing a few Beta tests but was looking for something new when my (now EX) missus mentioned she was giving UO another go, that the High Sea expansion was great and so on and so forth. So I thought, what the hey and signed up to take a look and it hit me just how good this game is. You just don't realise until you've been playing all those other, fantastic looking but comparatively shallow games the genius of UO, how involving, how flexible the skills system is and what a pain mining and fishing are.  After about two hours it was "Hmmm now where's that EasyUO site" *taps into Google*

And that is what's brought me here.

Looking forward to getting involved and taking the time to write a few basic scripts this time. Especially for those flippin' lobster pots!

All the best
Pip

Cerveza - broke up the wall a bit...
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 08:50:02 AM by Cerveza »

Offline Ultima

• Insane Scripter
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.Ultima is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +160
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
Re: I Didn't Realise How Good UO Was Until Now
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
Welcome to ScriptUO! Glad you found us! 8)

I love hearing people experiencing other MMO's and then returning to UO! The game could use more of that.

Hopefully with the upcoming art upgrades we'll get some more players back.

There are a vast array of subjects on the site regarding UO Topics so this site is a good source of information for UO related information even if it's not script related.

Again Welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy the community! :)

Offline _C2_

• AFK FtW
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 48
  • _C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!_C2_ has great potential!
  • RIP Pen Trick
  • Respect: +254
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:06:07 AM »
Thank you for taking the time to indroduce yourself.  It was fun reading your UO history.  I never played when thiefs ruled but I am sorry to have missed the action for sure.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 10:06:21 AM »
I remember back in the day of acoustic coupled modems running at 300 baud when I'd dial up Compuserve and play Megawar.  The first $400 compuserve bill was a time when I thought my family was going to kill me.

Lol, welcome to the site and thanks for the great intro!

Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
WELCOME!

Offline cutter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • cutter has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:05:12 AM »
Welcome.  Your intro reminds me of the 350 dollar bill I got from those same days. Great Intro - bad memories though. LOL

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 08:40:53 AM »
Good intro and yes those where the good ole days. I ran up quite a few phone bills on 300 and 1200 baud modems myself, but an old enough to say those bills where mine. Because I owned my own house then and payed my own bills :) I remember playing on the imigination network and also playing several ascii games D&D style in the days. Those tended to run my phone bills up alot because of being so far away from my providers. I had no local providers, but played every night I had some free time. Then came 2 BBS that started up locally to me WOOHOO I was in hog heaven. Well I will shut up now :)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »
Man, I used to love the BBSes that were in the Albuquerque area for the Apple II community.  I remember autodialing one so I could get on because someone was always hogging it (besides me).  Those were fun days when computers were still "magical".  Now they are just essential. 
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: