Author Topic: [UO Herald News] The Awakening  (Read 1147 times)

Offline Spaz FerretTopic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    2%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Spaz Ferret has no influence.
  • I LIKE COFFEE!!
  • Respect: +13
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
[UO Herald News] The Awakening
« on: January 11, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
The Awakening

Written by the EM Team
  “Last  time I do a favor for Rollins…” He looked at the note he’d been given from  Rollins about taking a friend of his along with him. Victor glanced around his horses,  and checked the fastenings on the saddles for the fourth time as the wind  picked up. He looked at the skies as the heavens threatened to open up and  deliver their own cargo upon the land, before exhaling heavily. Climbing back  up into the bench on the front of the wagon he muttered, “I just hope whenever  this Sherry gets here that she’s packed and ready to go.”
  “I’m  right here and ready, sir.”
  “By the  Virtues!” Victor exclaimed as his heart raced in his chest, looking down to  where the voice had come from, and seeing only a tawny little mouse  wearing a tiny grey shawl over her shoulders. He  blinked a few times and rubbed his eyes, before realization hit him. “Y-you’re the Sherry! Sherry the mouse I mean!”
  “That’s  right! It’d take me a lot longer to walk to Yew than I’d like, so I asked  around if there were any travelers on the way, and that’s how I found you!  Permission to come aboard, sir!” Sherry let out a few quick squeaks which  Victor chose to interpret as her attempt at giggling. He reached a hand down to  help her, and she scampered quickly to sit next to him.  With a crack of leather he lashed the reins  of the horses to spur them on towards the road.
  Sherry  squeaked in surprise at the noise. Looking slightly abashed, her voice rose  above the hoofbeats, “Sorry! It’s been a while since I’ve ridden with anyone. I’d  almost forgotten how fast it feels traveling this way! So how has your trading  business been lately?”
  Victor  shushed her, much to Sherry’s chagrin, before he spoke quietly enough that it  hardly rose past the percussive beat of hooves. “It’s been…good and bad. I’ve been  getting more pay for my goods, but the roads have been more dangerous lately,  and a lot of traders don’t make it to their destination. We must be careful.”  Victor sighed at length, looking across the darkening road as the sun descended  further in its orbit. “It seems that the feeling left over from banding  together to defeat Virtuebane is swiftly vanishing, and the nobles are fighting  even worse than before.”
  Sherry’s  face lengthened as she listened, and she looked down to the road swiftly  passing by underneath the wagon, before looking back up to Victor. Victor’s  eyes were locked on the road, but they darted back and forth in the gloom of  the forest, seeking out hidden dangers. Sherry started to open her mouth but  was interrupted as Victor spoke once more.
  “There’s  a lot of paranoia and tension in the realm.  I’ve seen fights break out between trading  partners of decades, and families torn apart over their family businesses. I  don’t think there’s a way to stop it.” Victor shuddered at something that this  mention conjured up inside him, and Sherry stared at him briefly.
  “What  is it? What’s wrong?”
  Victor’s  eyes held a haunted and tortured look in them, and he took a deep breath before  he spoke, but he refused to meet Sherry’s gaze. “Sherry ... let me tell you a story  about an ... experience I had last week in Vesper. Maybe it’ll help to finally tell  someone. It started off with an innocent enough encounter...” Victor took a deep  breath, and as Victor told the story Sherry swore she was seeing it unfold  right in front of her very eyes...
    Victor paused amidst the bridge and looked  south towards the sea, taking in the sights of the boats on the horizon before  he heard another’s approach. He ignored them until he noticed that the woman  had stopped and rested her own hands on the bridge and seemed to be gazing out  to sea as well, though her wide-brimmed hat covered much of her face. As  thunder echoed in the distance the woman spoke so softly that at first Victor  wasn’t sure she’d spoken at all. “Excuse me?”
    “There’s  a storm coming, you know.”
    Victor  chuckled good-naturedly. “Not a rare thing here in Vesper.” He looked over to  the woman but his smile vanished in an instant at the sight of her face as she  turned to look at him. While the gypsy woman's toothy smile was almost  malicious in its bearing, it was her clouded, murky white eyes that resonated  through a chord of fear in his being. Despite her obvious blindness, her gaze  seemed to bore deep within to his very core. He had never felt a sense of  trepidation like that which accompanied her next question.
    “Would  you like to know the future, boy?”
    Victor  swallowed hard and his hand went down to a pocket to fish out a few coins,  hurriedly passing them to the woman while nodding his assent. Realizing his  mistake he swallowed again, as all the stories of fortunetellers and oracles  that he’d heard as a child flooded back to him in an instant.
    “Y-yes, I would.”
    The  gypsy’s arms rose up and the shawl around her shoulders fluttered as she  gestured with her hands, performing some archaic bit of wizardry to allow her  to pierce the veil. Her voice dropped into a hoarse whisper as her movements  held a rhythm all their own that kept his attention riveted.
    “People  have risen and people have fallen, and throughout it all none hear the calling.  The storm clouds gather and their potency rises, as none step forth to address  the crisis. Though the raging winds and lightning ensue, it’s their aftermath  that poses to consume. The path will open to our preservation, but not without  its own consternations. The flames will brew and threaten us all, unless a way  is found to pacify the squall.” Her tones had taken on an eerie cadence of song  to them, and her swaying came to a close as she finished her incantations,  regarding the shaken Victor as if waiting for some kind of response.
    “I…I  don’t understand. What do we do?” Victor’s voice trembled for a moment as he  forgot himself, while he felt a swell of dread rising in his gut. The gypsy  folded her arms over her chest and bowed her head slightly so her hat covered  all but his view of her mouth. Her lips moved ever so deliberately as she spoke  once more, but this time with none of the lyrical tones she had adopted during  her divinations.
    “The  fires of fate will burn hot and bright, and this cannot be stopped by mortal  hand; it is our duty to determine what these fires do.” With that she started  to walk across the bridge before he shouted to her, causing her to pause and  seemingly glance back over her shoulder.
    “What  do you mean? I still don’t understand!”
    “Fire  is a destructive and constructive force. In its embrace is where we can burn  away our impurities, but linger too long and nothing is left to salvage.” With  that parting shot, the blind fortuneteller strode confidently through a Vesper  that felt colder and harsher than it had mere moments ago…

As Victor’s tale drew to a close, Sherry  gave the wagon driver a plaintive glance, and her tiny body shook as she swore  she could almost hear the woman’s voice. She couldn’t find any words in  response and instead studied Victor’s face inquisitively. It was plagued with  worry and uncertainty, and she could feel its infectious touch beckoning her.
  Victor’s  dismayed expression only darkened as they passed by the burned and arrow pocked  wreckage of another caravan along the road, and the sky suddenly burst forth  with a crash of lightning. Raindrops began to patter along the wagon, and  Victor gestured to the covered portion. “Go ahead and get inside, it’ll keep  you warm and mostly dry. I’ll tell you when we arrive.”
  Sherry  climbed inside the wagon without a word and curled herself up into a ball  against a few sheafs of wheat that were in the wagon, carefully avoiding the  holes in the patched and worn canvas roof. Despite the shelter of the wagon  keeping her warm and dry, her body was wracked with  shivers from a chill that emanated from within. When sleep came to her, it  arrived riddled with nightmares.

http://www.uoherald.com/node/523

Tags: