Author Topic: Older PC Ultima Games  (Read 14536 times)

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Older PC Ultima Games
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:41:03 PM »
I figured that I would throw some stuff out there and see how many REALLY old time Ultima fans respond. :) I started the series with Ultima IV - fell in love with it - but I never finished the game because of some critical errors and I never did figure out if it was just my floppy disk or everyone's, lol. I couldn't get anything out of Iolo; when I talked to him he just replied with a bunch of nonsense characters. And there were a couple of other NPCs that seemed like they should have had key quest dialogue that would do the same thing and then attack. I think I tried about 400 times hoping for a different result before I finally gave up, haha.

And then recently I decided it would be pretty cool to play all the Ultima games from the beginning in order. It still sounds cool. But I dl/ed an Akalabeth ROM and I literally CAN NOT figure out how to play the game. I mean, I'm old school - took BASIC in grade school and played the first Rogue and Hack - and this game still makes no sense. I move around a few times, die of starvation, game over, please insert 25 cents to continue. Then I dl/ed an Ultima II ROM and coudn't even get far enough to die of starvation, lol. The ROM came in several parts - well, when I fire up the regular game ROM it says "Please insert Player Disc". But you can't, because there is no disc, there's just another ROM file called "Player Disc" that I can't access. And trying to start the game with the "Player Disc" file accomplishes nothing at all. So I guess I'm really going to have to wait until I can afford a vintage computer and buy some old discs and REALLY get the full experience.

If anyone has some old Ultima PC stories or any insight into why I might never finish ANY Ultima game, please share!

Offline lamar

• Activity:
    0%
  • lamar has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Older PC Ultima Games
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
never played the Ultima games actually , but seen them out for sell again @  http://www.gog.com/ 

+ alot of other old titles that can be be fun to play again, or maybe better
to let some be a happy memory, as graphics can be a dissapointment now

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »
I started in ultima 7 part b - serpent isle! It was great and still is.
I then played:
ultima 7  - great
ultima 8 - good!
underworld I and II - fabulous

I now own them all on gog.com and I am playing some remakes of the games after I finish witcher 3 (best game I ever played)

Offline dxrom

• Master of the milestones!
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.dxrom is working their way up.
  • KEYBOARD COWBOY, GREAT SAMURAI OF THE INTERNET.
  • Respect: +100
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 12:21:28 PM »
I just cant get into games where gameplay is lore/story driven anymore. UO ruined me in that as a kid, I've had the need to kill other players :(

​_██​_
(ಠ​_ృ)
I do say, ol' Chap! Come play EVE Online! Why here is a 21 Day Free Trial!

Offline HalfMercyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • HalfMercy has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 07:13:24 PM »
lamar - In most cases I actually PREFER old school graphics. I know I'm in the minority in this but I don't feel that technologically advanced/modern is always equal to "better". I'll take the SNES Tecmo Bowl series over these crazy 3D Madden NFL games that feel jerky and awkward to me. I'll take the stop-motion animation of the old Sinbad movies over the fake looking CGI Gollums and werewolves of today. And really... how many megapixels do we need before the human eye can't discern the difference anymore anyway? :)

lamar + gimlet both - THANK YOU for mentioning gog.com! I had no idea it existed and now I will surely spend a bundle of money there and take a 6 month hiatus from my UO freeshard, lol.

dxrom - You know, I never played UO with the goal of killing or being killed by other players - which bugged me for a long time because I stubbornly stuck with Fel servers - but I enjoy it to no end in Call of Duty. Probably because there's nothing else to do in CoD, that's the only point in the game. UO was like "Here's an amazing world full of interesting stuff to do! Disclaimer: You will be unable to actually do anything interesting due to being hounded/harassed/killed endlessly." I play story-driven games but to be honest I rarely get into the stories. I wasn't even all the way through the first Halo before I stopped caring and couldn't tell you a thing about the stories on the sequels.

Offline lamar

• Activity:
    0%
  • lamar has no influence.
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 10:41:37 AM »
ye, gog itself can be addictive,

and talking about bad graphics, lol, look at us here sitting with UO classic client, if the game is good graphics doesnt matter

Offline Cush

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • Cush has no influence.
  • Respect: +42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 10:44:19 AM »
I started with the game Ultima 1 way way way back in the day and played them all up through current day.

Lots of fun

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 05:57:35 PM »
My son have Ultima 11 I think,  took me a few year to figure that  I had the grand child cd of the game seatting on my shelving.

Tags: