Author Topic: Cell Phones?  (Read 5365 times)

Offline bodfatherTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Cell Phones?
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:40:24 AM »
  I'm reconsidering my contract with Verizon because i'm basically paying more per month for my phone than i am my car insurance. I'm REALLY thinking of switching to one of those prepaid card systems like BoostMobile or one of those. I'm paying $84 monthly for 450min/unlim txt and data with my phone right now.

What do you guys have and how much does it cost? If you don't mind me asking.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
  • Respect: +211
  • Referrals: 10
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
Re: Cell Phones?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »

Offline Dixie Wrecked

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • Dixie Wrecked has no influence.
  • Respect: +31
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Hey bodfather...I probably have the same plan as you right now and have been considering the same switch.  My brother, his wife, and some friends all recently switched to Virgin Mobile, which although it requires the purchase of a phone (I'm still researching the phones), has plans that all offer unlimited texting and data, as well as either 300 minutes ($35), 1,200 minutes ($45), or unlimited minutes ($55), and there is also no contract.  So far, everyone I've talked to has been pleased with the service, although some of them did select a phone that I haven't heard much good about (Samsung Intercept).  And the phone selection seems to be limited, but if that's what I have to do to seriously reduce my monthly bill, then so be it!  

Does anyone else have any experience with Virgin Mobile?  I'm considering the switch this week, but am still not completely convinced on the phone to choose!
"hmm, theres no examples and directions sticky in new member intros.  you have to admit script library would have been a good place to put it"
- karrde

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
Lucky you, I'm on a plan with my parents through verizon. They don't even offer unlimited (Anything) anymore, but luckily I was grandfathered in when they took over Altell.

Presently I pay 30$ For unlimited data usage(Which I abuse to no end), 20$ For unlimited Messaging of any kind(Also abused to no end), and about 9$ for insurance since the phone cost me half as much as my tv, and 40$ for whatever minute plan my parents have.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.Crome969 is on the verge of being accepted.
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
Lucky you, I'm on a plan with my parents through verizon. They don't even offer unlimited (Anything) anymore, but luckily I was grandfathered in when they took over Altell.

Presently I pay 30$ For unlimited data usage(Which I abuse to no end), 20$ For unlimited Messaging of any kind(Also abused to no end), and about 9$ for insurance since the phone cost me half as much as my tv, and 40$ for whatever minute plan my parents have.
Get a Phone with UMTS\GPRS Flat and use Google Phoning, from America to America its free to call via internet\Google.

https://www.google.com/voice/rates?hl=com

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 12:14:49 PM »
How can I tell if I have that?
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 12:16:40 PM »
How can I tell if I have that?
how you mean this?
Well when u can surf in the Internet for free with your Phone then u have a umts\gprs flatrate:)

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
Hmm..... Interesting, Guess now the only problem is that I can't Cancel the Minutes and keep the Unlimited Data since its all connected to my parents plan.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 12:30:30 PM »
America is not Europe Chrome.. very few true unlimted plans here

My brother in the Uk has a pay as you go phone that comes with
FREE unlimed email, facebook, twitter, SKYPE

YUP you heard it right skype.   - i think he puts on $10 a month just to call the few people he knows without skype.  He calls me and my sister  using skype and thats free international uk-usa uk-austraila  and i call him on Skype and it goes right to his phone for free where ever he is.

For us poor americans thiers no such thing as a real pay as you go phone (ie you only pay when you make a phone call and its always connected even if you havent put any credit in the phone in years)

Now back to the states
My duaghter uses net10... its on an old plan .. for $15 month get approx 200min worth of calls text/data a month... which is more than i want her to use anyways.  (this is excellent service runs on the back of most networks, phone worked in canada, mexico, peurto rico, us and uk vigin islands.. all at the same pricing).

myself and spouse are on MetroPCS  .. $80 (2x$40 - unlimted phone and data)  (problem if you travel alot thier coverage gets spotty outside major cities)

you might also want to look at cricket.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
You are right EN,
but Skype is not useable on most phones as application because u were be able to phone from skype to skype free. Google uses just a webbroweser, you can phone from google to private\mobile for free in usa. Even in Germany its a cheap alternative. I didnt used yet, but a buddy of mine will test it soon, because their parents making holidays in australia soon, and the call from phone cost more than google.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:41:17 PM »
You are right EN,
but Skype is not useable on most phones as application because u were be able to phone from skype to skype free. Google uses just a webbroweser, you can phone from google to private\mobile for free in usa. Even in Germany its a cheap alternative. I didnt used yet, but a buddy of mine will test it soon, because their parents making holidays in australia soon, and the call from phone cost more than google.

Thats all good as long as you dont have to additionally pay for the data transfer to from google as well.  Here in the states you have limited data.. so you might end up paying more that way.

IF the native skype app on your phone doesnt work (the one modded by phone makers to not work)... download the generic andriod version from the web...  that gets around that problem

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

Offline bodfatherTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • bodfather has no influence.
  • Respect: +28
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »
 Here's how much i use my phone: This billing cycle i had 2min talk time, 1 text and 26mb internet. I use facebook/youtube and mapquest (GPS costs an extra $10 month).

But my main problem is where i live. I haven't had a dropped call yet but it will cut out. I'm pretty sure Boost is the only option i have as far as coverage. Sprint's coverage ends 1mile above my home. There's one other i need to look into that's $25 month unlimited everything.

I believe where i only use this as an emergency device i'd be WAY better off going to one of the pay as you go systems.

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 10:04:30 PM »
To be honestly iam flashed. I ever thought when Europe have something, America is 5 steps forward.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 04:07:57 AM »
To be honestly iam flashed. I ever thought when Europe have something, America is 5 steps forward.

I consider america to be way behind in the cell phone market in general, at least from a consumer option side.  America uses different phone frequencies from almost the rest of the planet.. a side affect of this is that all the phone companies release their version of each phone for high prices (for the most part you cannot use a phone from one service on another .. crazy ha). This keeps the price of new phones high and big profits for the service providers, as people wont switch after paying slot for a phone just to have to buy a new one.    2nd side effect of this is that we have very little choice as to phone models compared to the rest of the planet.

anyways thats my ramble for the morning

Offline Crome969

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UO Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • ScriptSDK
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 04:55:02 AM »

I consider america to be way behind in the cell phone market in general, at least from a consumer option side.  America uses different phone frequencies from almost the rest of the planet.. a side affect of this is that all the phone companies release their version of each phone for high prices (for the most part you cannot use a phone from one service on another .. crazy ha). This keeps the price of new phones high and big profits for the service providers, as people wont switch after paying slot for a phone just to have to buy a new one.    2nd side effect of this is that we have very little choice as to phone models compared to the rest of the planet.

anyways thats my ramble for the morning
Thats really annoying... But maybe a sideeffect of leading in so many different things. You cant be the all around Ruler:)
But i think it will come in future. Google ruling more and more , their Services are incredible. So the Provider maybe cant afford soon anymore to rip you guys of your money..

Tags: