Author Topic: Auto revert?  (Read 21130 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Auto revert?
« on: July 28, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
+1
Morning,

Issue - made modifications to a script, got pulled away for a little while, came back and my changes had been reverted back. I tested this a couple of times with the same result. Unfortunately, because of RL and kids, etc I never was able to narrow down how long it took for the changes to revert but this happened several times.

Fortunately I had only changed three lines of code without saving, LOL!

Let me know if there is more info I can put together, I'll try to test again today with the hope of narrowing down the time it takes to revert the text. I also don't know if this was related to inactivity verse just a period of time going by.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Auto revert?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
+1
Morning,

Issue - made modifications to a script, got pulled away for a little while, came back and my changes had been reverted back. I tested this a couple of times with the same result. Unfortunately, because of RL and kids, etc I never was able to narrow down how long it took for the changes to revert but this happened several times.

Fortunately I had only changed three lines of code without saving, LOL!

Let me know if there is more info I can put together, I'll try to test again today with the hope of narrowing down the time it takes to revert the text. I also don't know if this was related to inactivity verse just a period of time going by.

XII

So that's just 1) make changes.  2) walk away?  Wow, I can't even begin to think of what's going on there since this is an event-based program.  Yes, please lemme know if you find any more information about that.

Also, check and see if a ".bak" file was created with your missing information....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:27:52 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:58:35 AM »
+1
I've got a couple experiments running now, but so far nothing strange like what you are seeing.  Was it long code?  Did you run any of the features, or can you do this just by loading a script, making a change and then walking away?
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:47:24 AM »
+1
I'll do some more testing. Funny thing is there have been several occasions where I've opened a script up to continue editing and said "That's wierd, I thought i changed that" but never thought anything about it.

The script I was playing with was my rewrite of SM's Library donator. In fact, the reason I noticed to begin with was because of my search for a string (see other thread) in which I modified each returned value. Then I went on to work on other things as I was cooking dinner, etc but it was a couple hours before I got back to it. The "Save File" button was greyed out and a search for the string which I modified revealed my modifications no longer existed.

I also have a bad habit of closing files and clicking "Yes" at the "Do you want to save your file" message which didn't pop up like it usually does. With that in mind, this could easily be a combination of user error with a program "functional process" issue.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

XII

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:41:40 AM »
+1
Aha, I figured it out. The reason I discovered it is due to my inappropriate reliance on text editors to warn me to save when I close them rather than saving before Closing the app.

The bug is that hitting Cancel in the Find/Replace window resets the "file has been modified" logic so that the program doesn't recognize it is having been edited. I am losing my work because, like an idiot, I just close the app and expect to hit "Yes, I'm an idiot and I want you to save my work before you close" button. Because I didn't recall that I hadn't saved my work yet it never occurred to me that the message didn't pop up when I closed even though I hadn't saved yet.

Does that make sense?

Steps to reproduce:

1) Open a script or create a new one
2) Modify the script
3) Note that the "Quick Save" icon is active but don't save the file yet
4) Open the Find/Replace window
5) Hit "Cancel" in the Find/Replace window
6) Notice that the "Quick Save" icon is now inactive (grey). The application doesn't know that the file still hasn't been saved.

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »
+1
Ah, ok.  That's a known issue then, and has annoyed me more than once.  The stuff isn't "deleted" but not saved.  Ok, I have been meaning to fix that ever since I introduced the new editor.  It has some filthy quirks, and one of them is determining if the file has actually changed in a passive way.  I was relying on one method, but that's not 100% in some instances so I have to come up with something else.  Thanks you for the info, though.  I'll make sure when I fix it that it takes your particular troubleshooting data into mind.

You'll also notice this bug with a different face.  If you do a save as, save file and then close it you'll still be prompted that the file needs saving even though there has been no changes made.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:14:25 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
+1
Yep, I know exactly what you're talking about with that one too.

XII

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 02:39:37 PM »
+1
Bah, I forgot to fix this error!! 
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 02:19:02 AM »
+1
LOL, good thing I'm in the habit now of saving constantly now!!  ;)

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
+1
LOL, good thing I'm in the habit now of saving constantly now!!  ;)

Funny thing is that it was fixed because of some work I was doing that wasn't associated with this error, but I pulled that idea.  Oh well, at least I understand the reason for the error and lets just say it's a silly one but a pain in the ass.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline dagon

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • dagon has no influence.
  • Respect: +1
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
+1
This PROBLEM just got me.
I was working on a script for hours this morning, first script I've done, learning the language as I went along.... THINKING that the script was saved when the save button greyed out. THINKING that it was saved when I closed and it didn't prompt to save.

Come back to find that NOTHING has been saved.

EXTREMELY AGGRIVATING

My fault, but also ScriptUO's.

I'm severely aggrivated! I worked HARD on scripting what I had been doing. Now I have to do it all over again and hope that I get it right.

Sorry but an important bug such as this is more than a year old and still not fixed, remove ScriptUO from the internet if you can't maintain it. I don't mean to come off sounding rude or anything but this is just so bad.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 01:20:51 PM by dagon »

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 03:01:33 PM »
+1
This PROBLEM just got me.
I was working on a script for hours this morning, first script I've done, learning the language as I went along.... THINKING that the script was saved when the save button greyed out. THINKING that it was saved when I closed and it didn't prompt to save.

Come back to find that NOTHING has been saved.

EXTREMELY AGGRIVATING

My fault, but also ScriptUO's.

I'm severely aggrivated! I worked HARD on scripting what I had been doing. Now I have to do it all over again and hope that I get it right.

Sorry but an important bug such as this is more than a year old and still not fixed, remove ScriptUO from the internet if you can't maintain it. I don't mean to come off sounding rude or anything but this is just so bad.

Anyone other than me thinking BanHammer?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:11:28 PM »
+1

Anyone other than me thinking BanHammer?

I was ok with everything he said up to this point. I believe ppl have a right to speak thier mind about things, and I didnt even think it to rude up until this point. However this sentance was a little over the top...not sure I would go all the way to the BanHammer as much as a stern warning (which Maddog and I are attempting to do here) Of course any final decision does not rest in our hands.

I dont think we want to be known for breaking out the banhammer every time somebody says something a little offensive, but I think people should take the time to THINK about what they are saying!

To Dagon I can say this..I can understand your frustration, I think everybody here has lost work on the computer before, and it sucks. But if you truely feel that this site should be taken off the internet, then there is a very easy solution. Close the site on your web browser, and don't ever come back...no more aggravation for you...no more aggravation for us...problem solved!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 03:26:08 PM by Toptwo »
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
+1
Yea, I was fine up through "My fault, but also ScriptUO's"

The next line seemed like whining/bitching, and the final sentence pushed me over the edge! And the "don't mean to come off sounding rude" wasn't comforting in any way shape or form.

It's kinda like saying: "No offense, but you're ugly!" It just doesn't work!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 07:24:36 PM »
+1
I do apologize dagon for the loss.  It's not a bug really (i.e. a crash), but a design flaw that's pretty hard to fix due to very little feedback regarding dirty/clean changes from the new editor control.  Back when I used the RichTextEdit control, there was no question about there being unsaved changes, but with this new one, it has to be micromanaged from the outside world.

Frankly, I haven't had the time to work on something that seems to be so simple to fix, but in reality would take me a weekend.  So that's why we post issues like this for you to be aware of.  Plenty of people use SUO successfully, knowing there are limitations.  

Also remember what you paid for SUO.  It's free if you've forgotten.  I'm not Microsoft and don't have 1000s of programmers at my command to fix issues, so you have to also keep that in mind when using software you find on the internet.

I have also lost work to this "bug", so I do understand that it's frustrating.  However, I've lost work in just about any editor I've ever used for one reason or another.  Ever have EasyUO just lock up on you and the only thing you can do is CTRL-ALT-DELETE to stop the service?  I've lost more work that way than I ever have with SUO.  

This issue is the first one I'll be correcting when I can get back to SUO development.  Superslayer has found a few actual crash issues that need to be fixed also.  

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:31:51 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: