Author Topic: Resolved - Issues with the post editor IE8 = Compatibility View  (Read 4469 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Resolved - Issues with the post editor IE8 = Compatibility View
« on: January 25, 2010, 05:38:30 AM »
Not exactly "Off Topic" but wasn't sure where else to put it.

I'm curious if anybody else has this issue and if you've been able to resolve it if so.

I have found that I simply can't use the post editor for any message longer than the window size, especially when Replying to a message (verse starting a new message although it still happens with New, just not as frequently). Once I get past the lines that display in the window without scrolling down the edit box goes haywire, bouncing around with every key press and not displaying the text as I type (ie, keeps it below the viewable portion of the screen). This has been going on since roughly about the time I upgraded to IE 8 and it happens on 3 different PC's with 3 different OS versions so I know it isn't simply something wrong on a workstation.

I'm also assuming this is a client setting, not a site issue, otherwise TM would have been all over it already. :) Definitely open to all suggestions!

X
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:31:55 AM by 12TimesOver »
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: Issues with the post editor...anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:43:49 AM »
Firefox = resolved.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »
Suggestion: Use Google Chrome!

No issues here!  ;)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 05:56:51 AM »
 :-\ Ok, ok I should have known that's the kind of feedback I would get at first so let's clarify shall we....

I've already come up with a few solutions that include switching to one of a number of different browsers and versions. Let's look at it differently, anyone have this issue with IE8 and do something different in IE8 to make IE8 not have this issue.

BTW, I haven't reinstalled Firefox since rebuilding this PC but I swear I was having the same issue even with FF (my memory is bad so it could have been IE back then too). Definitely going to have to get it reinstalled and test.

Also, I don't have this problem on any other forum site I frequent although I wouldn't likely run into the issue since I don't post as much anywhere else. WinUO would be the only site I posted a lot and I've never had the issue there. Oh, on Stratics either. It must have something to do with SMF and some setting I use on all my PC's.

X

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 06:26:39 AM »
Yea ive been haveing the same issue for quite some time.. i generally either cut and paste it all into notepad then paste it back or do alot of edits...

its annoying thats for sure
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 06:35:30 AM »
I can't believe people still use IE!! Didn't China teach any of you a lesson?! (If you're not up-to-date on current events, Chinese government (although they deny it) used a zero day IE vulnerability to hack into the gmail accounts of Chinese activists)
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:41:42 AM »
I can't believe people still use IE!! Didn't China teach any of you a lesson?! (If you're not up-to-date on current events, Chinese government (although they deny it) used a zero day IE vulnerability to hack into the gmail accounts of Chinese activists)

Yup way of the world .. all code has bugs.. ... and WHO hasnt known that china has been hacking or attempting to hack activists disidents competitors and everyone else for a long time now... for that matter im sure the russians are at it as well as NSA MI5 blablabla   .. and cellphones have been hacked for years and listened in on constantly along with your home phone all your email or any other secured or unsecured net traffic.

Lets face it if you didnt passthe messaged in your own basement face to face after a through bug sweep someone somewhere probably got wind of it... weather they were interested is another story entirely.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:14:55 AM »
There is also the point that many of us don't have a choice as to what we install on our PC's in the office. Here I'm not allowed to us use anything other than IE; patching is not an issue, we do it automatically using an enterprise WSUS implementation.

So EN, you've had the same issue and have been doing exactly what I've been doing, cut/paste. Are you using IE 8? Any other forums that you're having the issue with or just SUO?

X

P.S. I do appreciate the commentary around browser choice but if anyone else has comments other than those directly related to making IE8 work correctly with the editor on the forums at SUO you are off topic in this thread. Thanks!

>:(

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.2%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:12:47 AM »
In Tools/Compatibility View, add scriptuo.com to the list and see if helps.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2010, 10:25:58 AM »
In Tools/Compatibility View, add scriptuo.com to the list and see if helps.
Ah interesting thought, I forget all about the whole "compatibility view" thing. On it!

<edit>
That was it!! Working like a charm!
So WTH did MS introduce with 8 that messes with SMF I wonder? Oh well, I don't rightly care anymore as long as it works!

Thanks for the suggestion TM

X
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 10:31:22 AM by 12TimesOver »

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
Re: Resolved - Issues with the post editor IE8 = Compatibility View
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
ie8 and scriptuo...   

Common lets go off topic and get 12x's new ban hammer a swinging...

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 10:36:18 AM »
ie8 and scriptuo...   

Common lets go off topic and get 12x's new ban hammer a swinging...
Hehe, I've been working out too so when I swing it I can swing it REALLY hard.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
XII, I'd recommend using Netscape Navigator!

:P  ;)

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
XII, I'd recommend using Netscape Navigator!
 :P  ;)

ROFL! I do still have an old copy or two of various Netscape client AND server software including Navigator 3.1, Communicator, thier old email/web packages, etc. I was a big fan back then hehe.

I wonder if Navigator 1.1 will work fine in Windows 7?

Offline rana70

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 12:07:54 PM »
Not exactly "Off Topic" but wasn't sure where else to put it.

I'm curious if anybody else has this issue and if you've been able to resolve it if so.

I have found that I simply can't use the post editor for any message longer than the window size, especially when Replying to a message (verse starting a new message although it still happens with New, just not as frequently). Once I get past the lines that display in the window without scrolling down the edit box goes haywire, bouncing around with every key press and not displaying the text as I type (ie, keeps it below the viewable portion of the screen). This has been going on since roughly about the time I upgraded to IE 8 and it happens on 3 different PC's with 3 different OS versions so I know it isn't simply something wrong on a workstation.

I'm also assuming this is a client setting, not a site issue, otherwise TM would have been all over it already. :) Definitely open to all suggestions!

X

Hi,

I have this issue for a long time,
it came up also with IE7 and ...
please hold on all the "I don't like IE" guys and gals around ..
I had the same issue with safari on a Windows Vista computer ...

cu

Tags: