Author Topic: My New System  (Read 21755 times)

Offline CervezaTopic starter

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
Re: My New System
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 02:47:34 PM »
+1
Final Cost?

Exactly the wishlist. Just moved it to shopping cart and checked out.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 06:07:20 AM »
+1
Arrived yesterday...

Why I didn't get a bigger monitor a long time ago is beyond me. This thing is just a 23" but it seems like it's HUGE compared to my ole 19"

I'm running UO at 1200x800 and it's awesome. I had to speed up my mouse a bit cause it's got so much darn room to cover dragging stuff now!

I'll work on the rest during the upcoming weekend.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • Kalaka has no influence.
  • Respect: +25
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:28 AM »
+1
Nice. I love my 19" at 1280x1024 though.. I can't imagine having a bigger one. I don't think I'd like it for gaming, especially for FPS.. prefer the smaller screen.

Scrripty

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »
+1
You wouldn't say that if you played on a 28" at 1600x1200.  Or if you had 3 of them and stretched your desktop AND games across all 3... :)

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 09:45:27 AM »
+1
Nice. I love my 19" at 1280x1024 though.. I can't imagine having a bigger one. I don't think I'd like it for gaming, especially for FPS.. prefer the smaller screen.

The monitor is running 1920x1080... I meant I had expanded the UO play window to 1280x800 using #cliresX. Man It's cool as heck to see my entire castle on one screen!

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
+1
You wouldn't say that if you played on a 28" at 1600x1200.  Or if you had 3 of them and stretched your desktop AND games across all 3... :)

Oh no doubt it'd have it's uses.. Watching a ton of clients would be AWESOME to the max.. but for other games Idk.. Especially playing COD and CS, love the 19". I'm sure I'd get use to it eventually though

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 06:15:56 PM »
+1
I roll 6720x1050 as my resolution  :P
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:05:09 PM »
+1
I roll 6720x1050 as my resolution  :P

Careful, you're going to need a bigger desk....
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
+1
Careful, you're going to need a bigger desk....

Nah...Ergotron DS100 for 3 of them...a couple boxes stacked on top of my tower for the 4th one. Once I clean up my room a little bit, I'll take a picture of my setup with a new camera!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824994016&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Accessories+-+Monitors-_-Ergotron-_-24994016
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2011, 07:46:39 AM »
+1
Ok so this was much easier then I thought...

Hardware went well. I took a long time in completely stripping down my case and completely cleaning everything.

I put in all the new components and routed cables (power, front panel and data) to keep things really clean. When it was all together I did the first startup and it worked great.

Got into bios and made the CD the boot device and installed Win7. Went without a hitch. It recognizes my old WinXP drive as D: like I'd hoped. I took some time before to reset passwords and stuff on the things I was going use... Now I'll leave the D: drive in for a while to get the stuff I need from it.

The only thing not working at this point is UOCartographer. I get an error that's well documented over at stratics.

Cannot locate all maps.
Press OK to generate missing map files. This may take some time.
If you are currently running UOAM, please close it before continuing.

After I hit OK I get this

Something had some of the client files locked!
Please close all UO related applications and restart UOC.

I hit OK for that and it looks like it's converting maps.... but when I load it I only get a black screen.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 03:22:00 PM »
+1
First off, take some pictures of the new comp! I always enjoying seeing the hardware! Second...make sure you have everything set up for Admin mode when running UOC, UO, UOA, Razor, etc. If you're still having issues, just post on Stratics and someone will answer. Everyone there seems to have a hard on for UOC so you can actually get decent help over there!  :)

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 08:48:39 PM »
+1
Run Cartographer in administrator if you are not, if you still have the same problem, try right clicking on the executable and set it to XP compatibility. Also, as it says, make sure UO is closed.

As you may know, or maybe it's just me who has this issue, sometimes starting cartographer you get the black screen until you change facets, so make sure that isn't the problem.

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 04:55:58 AM »
+1
I tried everything with cartographer... turns out it was the game directory. I set permissions on the game folder to "anyone can do anything" and cartographer was able to get all the file data.

I plugged in the second monitor and booted. The system recognized it and set it up perfectly. It even knew what type of monitor it was and set the resolution for it correctly.

This turns out to be a very good thing. Win7 backgrounds have that one that rotates pictures every 30 minutes... I had these really beautiful pictures. With two monitors it puts the same picture on both. My wife saw the difference in clarity between the two and says "Why don't you get another new one?"

Twin 23" monitors are in my future.

Offline Kalaka

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 02:35:02 PM »
+1
I tried everything with cartographer... turns out it was the game directory. I set permissions on the game folder to "anyone can do anything" and cartographer was able to get all the file data.

Nice on the monitors, but this is quite nice as well.. I've known several people who have had issues with Cartographer. Maybe this is their problem?

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 02:38:32 PM »
+1
It surely can be. With any operating system that uses these silly permissions that is. My symptom was the error message when creating the files, and a black screen when running.

I guess it was that UOCartographer was trying to rebuild the maps but it didn't have "rights" to the files in the >EA Games>UO directory. When I changed the permissions to that folder, the next time I loaded UOCartographer it made the files fine and everything worked.

Tags: