Author Topic: So I downloaded Kodi  (Read 10250 times)

Offline cybercasperTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 3
  • cybercasper has no influence.
  • Respect: +41
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
So I downloaded Kodi
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:59:30 AM »
+1
I downloaded a program called Kodi. I have looked into this program in the past and my buddy brought it back to my attention. I never could get it to work like everyone else and I was wondering if anyone have some knowledge of this program that could pass on a bit of knowledge. My cable bill is outragous and would like to cut cable out all together and just keep the internet.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: So I downloaded Kodi
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 10:13:01 AM »
+1
What are you trying to do with it exactly?  Kodi is just a newer version of XBMC.  I use it to stream my media from my NAS drives to play back my bluerays, movies and TV shows.  It should also do DLNA interfacing so if you have a TV tuner you can use it to serve that content.

I'm using Plex more these days because I finally got a Plex server running on a Raspberry Pi 3 thats fast enough to serve out my HD content (assuming I repackage into H264/MP4).  So I have a Plex server running Plex Media server on my RPi3 (so not necessary to run on one of my computers) and then I use Plex clients I have on my Rokus to watch the content.  This setup works best for me so far.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 10:53:20 AM »
+1
I downloaded a program called Kodi. I have looked into this program in the past and my buddy brought it back to my attention. I never could get it to work like everyone else and I was wondering if anyone have some knowledge of this program that could pass on a bit of knowledge. My cable bill is outragous and would like to cut cable out all together and just keep the internet.
I put together a "Cutting the Cord" thread a while back here, you should check it out. I've been cable-free for almost 1 year now. Everything but Internet anyhow. Bought my own cable modem for that as well. I have saved roughly $1,700 in the last 10 months, minus a couple hundred on some startup equipment.

Kodi does not come to play here unless I decide I want a huge library of downloaded or ripped content on a drive where I will use Kodi to "serve" it. I use Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and the occasional torrent when there is a show I can't find somewhere else. It has been a wonderful, commercial-free year.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 12:15:57 PM »
+1
What kind of data plan did you end up with 12X?  And what's your monthly expense with all your add-ons?  Have you looked into the new Playstation Vue?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/?emcid=ps-se-1232&utm_medium=Paid_Search&utm_campaign=Vue&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-se-1232&utm_content=Vue#1
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline manwinc

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!manwinc is a rising star!
  • "The Devs Hard at Work"
  • Respect: +123
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
+1
I thought most People were using Kodi to stream with programs like Exodus that have just about everything available for streaming.

That's the setup I think they are talking about.
Monkeys and Typewriters!

" Oh I know, We'll make a Boss Encounter that requires 3 keys per player to enter, Then we'll make it not a closed instance so you never know if you are going to pop into a fresh room or a boss that has 1% Health left with 20 dudes smashing its face in, wasting your time and effort"

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
+1
I was told that with this program i would beable to watch tv programs that came out pretty much the same day. 12times I have tried that when I first moved here but when you have 4 little ones and a wife that is a stay at home mom due to me being in the military and we cant really afford day care which robs you. they just werent satisfied with just doing that. I still have a netflix account and my inlaws gave me there hulu plus info. so my long rant is more about is this program able to provided cable features like kids channels along with sports for me. the wife doesnt need anymore 12 season shows to beange on. and if so what is the delay with it. TM i have heard of plex which i do have on my xbox as well as my computer but i thought that was more just a movie/tv based storing program where u still had to dl them and not stream them. i could be totally wrong with all of this but thanks so far for the input

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2016, 02:53:24 AM »
+1
Yeah I guess I'm WAY behind the times on Kodi, I was playing with XBMC way back so assumed it wasn't really that different. Guess I need to check it out further before commenting.
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2016, 06:03:46 AM »
+1
I will have to flash up KODI again.   

You have a few sport channel and TV.   You need to install the package you want.  I Google a few set up and install what I need it.  I stop using because it was on my main PC and I use it to play UO.  I need to getup a new machine just for KODI and got to lazy.

Offline ErwinEUO

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ErwinEUO has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2016, 07:29:49 PM »
+1
I love Kodi so much and still use it every day, but since my HTPC has been wheezing lately, I'm >< this close to dumping it all for a NVidia Shield + casting apps, this seems to be the trend nowadays.

Erwin

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 06:04:01 AM »
NVidia Shield + casting apps

Interesting stuff Erwin I had never heard of Nvidia sheild.     Its time to update my platform as well my old Raspberry Pie 2.0 died  (lightning strike power surge took it out) And the Original Xbox running xbmc can no longer handle the file resolution sizes.

Was thinking of installing the latest XBMC ( Kodi , Plex ) on an old laptop ...
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Offline The Ghost

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 25
  • The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.The Ghost is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +245
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
+1
NVidia Shield + casting apps

Interesting stuff Erwin I had never heard of Nvidia sheild.     Its time to update my platform as well my old Raspberry Pie 2.0 died  (lightning strike power surge took it out) And the Original Xbox running xbmc can no longer handle the file resolution sizes.

Was thinking of installing the latest XBMC ( Kodi , Plex ) on an old laptop ...

I'm on the same page EN.   I have an old XBOX that play AVI file and I use the laptop to play 720 resolution.   I do by time to time convert high resolution file to Avi, specially the kid movie.

I own 80-% of what on KODI ATM, so it hard to run it.  My kid love to watch tree house and teletoons, what are not on KODI. I cant find them.

Offline ErwinEUO

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • ErwinEUO has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
+1
I bought Chromecast for one of my bedroom TVs; my wife loved it so much that I moved it downstairs; we have been using it a lot more than my HTPC.   I only use the HTPC to watch movies and run 'background tasks'  ;)

The simplicity of the casting ecosystem (everything from common phone apps) makes the Google/Android option a lot easier for my wife and guests to use.  I still have some work to do to see how Kodi/Plex can be leveraged effectively with full features (4k with HD sound, subtitles, etc).

I'm looking at the Shield because:
1) It supports 4k (Netflix,YouTube not supported with Windows HTPC)
2) Casting options from phone (YouTube Netflix Twich Pandora)
3) It's only $199 for the base model which is a ton cheaper than even the cheapest 4K HTPC solution

I'm still upset that Windows Media Center got dropped, I loved that product and spent a lot of time on it :(

Erwin

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2016, 02:58:43 PM »
+1
thanks for all the information i am def going to have to look into something else becuase i pay almost 200 a month and if i can get a product for 200 then thats almost a saving right there

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 08:04:35 PM »
+1
I just saw something about Plex Pass members now having the ability to DVR. Might be a nice option for people like me who use an antenna + chromecast.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2016, 04:55:51 AM »
+1
what are you serious. thats pretty awesome. if the cable company wasnt the once in charge of the internet there would be cheap tv all over the place

Tags: