Author Topic: Returning to UO after 15 years  (Read 2008 times)

Offline quammiboxTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • quammibox has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Returning to UO after 15 years
« on: November 07, 2020, 04:41:20 PM »
Greetings!

This looks like a great resource to learn some new things and maybe remember some old things too! I played from about 2001 to 2005 on OSI servers and at the time I left, I was using EasyUO for a range of things from tedious tasks to picking up loot on the floor of an IDOC. I used to be pretty good at tweaking scripts but i never really learned how to fully write one from scratch. I have a deep admiration for people who tool the time to put together scripts and especially now when UO is older and often forgotten about.

I look forward to seeing if there is some content here that might help me et back into it a little. Covid is the perfect excuse to come back to sosoria and EasyUO!

Thanks!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Returning to UO after 15 years
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:01:28 AM »
A Very Warm Welcome!

Our only requirement to be part of this site is for new members to write a good and thoughtful introduction.

Before we will unrestrict you - you need to tell us a lot more!
Please greatly expand your introduction and tell us about yourself and your UO life.

Look at the stickied examples if you need insight.
I think you will find the effort required to write a four or five paragraphs will pay off with this community!

(Use a translator program if you feel you can not write in English.)

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:03:25 AM »
OH ok! I didn't know there was a word requirement lol - I got my masters in Human Resources back in 2017 and I was glad to stop shooting for a page requirement! haha! You know Goonies, where the chubby kid starts telling his life story to the gangsters? That's about how this is gonna turn out. :)

My UO life is pretty much spent trying to figure out things that have happened since 2005 on the OSI shards. When I first decided to come back i played Renaissance but I really missed out on some of the luxury items that came after the Renaissance expansion -like beetles for my crafter and such.  Then I heard about the free OSI accounts and gave it a whirl. It was absolutely shocking! Everything was priced by the million, the boats were huge and characters were flying around! I have only been back a few weeks - but i have the distinct disadvantage of having left and a very well established player. When I left UO I had an 18x18 outside of Luna walls and all my Toons were max scrolled out and fully geared. Returning as a broke fresh account lacked something majorly! If i were a newb just discovering the game it would be different but I really want to be able to continue where left off  and explore all the new stuff from the 15 years i missed.

When I started playing OSI again, i instantly noticed that item properties were a lot more powerful all around and the loot was so high end that i was able to quickly assemble a 100% LRC suit by simply picking up trash. All of the old content was easily manageable but the new content was not. That led me to join a guild where I have been lucky to have a lot of people help fill in the gap on simple things like " what is imbuing and reforging and how does it work?".

Right now I have a 5x GM crafter with 116 smithy and 105 imbuing, an archer/mage bard - a fisherman and a Sampire (kind of) i just discovered the Abyss dungeon so im messing around with that and doing some Fabled nets from time to time. My UO life is really just a bunch of reading and dying at the Moment - but at least im putting myself out there! The players in 2020 are a lot more approachable and generally less "douchey" than back in 2004 - 2005. I hope to continue to see that trend here!

As for me, Im a 40+ guy with a bunch of kids who works in HR  (Recruiting specifically) - So i may not be able to write a full script but I can probably give you some advice on a resume and Interview. So my doctor tells me I wont survive Covid if i get it. I smoked for 25 years (quit 2 years ago) but the damage to my lungs puts me on the high danger list (no cancer, just diminished capacity).... So I am home for a while - with 4 kids - 1 in college. UO Is a happy escape for me! Im a little frustrated with UO 3rd party apps, which is why i went back to EasyUO. UOAssist doesn't work for me for some reason, Razor is just kinda foreign to me too.

Thats all i got. Im not terribly exciting  ;)

Offline Tidus

• Lazy
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.Tidus is working their way up.
  • Mind Blown
  • Respect: +151
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Apparel
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 06:19:24 AM »
OH ok! I didn't know there was a word requirement lol

THat is because we want the "Best of the Best of the Best"! haha. No word requirement, just substance requirement.  Thanks for your thoughtful and well done post.  Restricted Status lifted!
For those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know ~ Anonymous, Vietnam, 1968

• Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 06:27:56 AM »
Thank you kind Admin!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +273
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
  WELCOME!

Offline Crisis

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    3.2%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.Crisis is a force to reckon with.
  • Scripting well enough to break things!
  • Respect: +205
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 07:13:58 PM »
Thank you for the outstanding update! Welcome to SUO!

Offline gruntman

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 2
  • gruntman has no influence.
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 03:25:02 PM »
Welcome!!  UO is the best addiction ever!

Tags: