Author Topic: May I use lines from other scripters for a script I want to post here?  (Read 2793 times)

Offline krustenkrabbeTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • krustenkrabbe has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Well, title says it all!

I used a few lines from Galeamar's Sampire Hunter in my script to attack and honor monsters, but nothing big though...

May I post it here? I have never posted something before=)

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
As long as you're not posting a slightly edited version of a script, and there is no header in the script preventing you from using the code.  If you can say that the script you post if 75% your own code, then I don't see a problem.  It's always best to get the permission of the original script author, but sometimes that's impossible since most old scripters have moved on to bigger and not necessarily better things.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
Give the author credit for what you "borrowed" by mentioning it in the script header - i.e. "Thanks to Galeamar for the Honor and attack routine"

Someday you might write your own section and replace the borrowed code only to find it strikingly similar anyhow ;)

"There is only one best way to do anything, with practice everyone should eventually be the same." ~random quote awesomeness.

XII
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
^^^^^^^^^^What he said!^^^^^^^^^^^^

Offline krustenkrabbeTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • krustenkrabbe has no influence.
  • Respect: 0
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
I'll take that in mind, thank you=)

Offline freddy

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 4
  • freddy has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
I learned to script by looking at other people's scripts to see how it works. That's why when I do post code I don't care if people use my stuff in their own work because it helps people learn. Not a lot of scripters are like me though, so it's always good to ask first and always give credit if you decide to use other ppls code.

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Personally I generally don't mind if people use chunks of code from my scripts to do a certain function or other (even though some of my scripts tend to state otherwise),  but a credit is a must as its just polite...... I get pee'd off if a person verbatim copies the entire script tweaks it and calls it their own,  and downright bubbling  if that is done without any attempt at contact first.  I think that probably holds true for most all of us.

As long as you follow basic manners in respecting the authors of the code you wish to incorporate you should be fine.  You should even leave some form of credit long after you have transmuted those chunks of code.

Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: