Author Topic: Microsoft implementing drastic Anti-Piracy measures at the expense of the honest  (Read 2995 times)

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
wow thats a bit drastic.  but i guess the logical progression on what they were already doing.
But i do reject that method on principle.. its innocent until proven guilty not the otherway round.

Hopefully it will promote free os's further into the mainstream.
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
wow thats a bit drastic.  but i guess the logical progression on what they were already doing.
But i do reject that method on principle.. its innocent until proven guilty not the otherway round.

Hopefully it will promote free os's further into the mainstream.

Agreed and agreed. Definitely have to consider moving on from Windows finally when stuff like this comes up. Of course I'll disable Auto-Updates tonight and do them manually from now on or at least until the class-action lawsuit hehe.

X

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
I'm not sure I believe it entirely either however it bears paying attention to. 02/16 is mentioned in the article yet there is not KB article out matching that mentioned in the link.

Something to consider though, I'm sure we'll hear more soon.

X

Offline Endless Night

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 62
  • Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!Endless Night is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +393
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
I believe the report is accurate... see

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=afd45b36-3d77-4259-801c-d31a9a90cdcf

This is the xp version from 2009.. but lists all the same features as was been reported.

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/genuinewindows/default.aspx  win 7 - info. blog
(as linked from http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/about.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=7248c96c-4f8d-4d05-b20a-7b9cd5df61b4)

Even thow my windows checks in every night for updates .. i still disagree with 90 day validation check ins.  Validate on intial install and if it passes muster at that point thier no real reason for additional validation checks.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:09:02 AM by Endless Night »
Outlaw Josey Wales - "Manwink, A Long Gone Scripty, and Endless are always teasing us with their private sections lol. What there realy saying is scripters rule and users drool."
Briza - "Your a living breathing vortex of usefulness."

Tags: