Author Topic: Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007  (Read 45607 times)

Offline Paulonius

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.Paulonius is on the verge of being accepted.
  • Respect: +162
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tutorial - Setting up Microsoft Virtual PC 2007
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27:19 PM »
+1
You should be able to.  You can specify the drive path.
This coin declares Caesar is "Dictator for Life." He did serve as Dictator for the remainder of his life, but his life would end only a few weeks after this issue. For Caesar to put his image on coins and essentially declare himself king was too much for Brutus and his republican allies.

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough'
-Mario Andretti

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:03:58 AM »
+1
Can you setup a separate drive as another OS?

Like if I have Win7 on my C: drive can I use this to make my old XP drive D: for a virtual machine?

Is there shared folders on these so you can drag/drop between the systems?

Can you put each one on a separate monitor?
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline 12TimesOverTopic starter

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
+1
Can you setup a separate drive as another OS?

Like if I have Win7 on my C: drive can I use this to make my old XP drive D: for a virtual machine?
Nope. You actually create a file that is the virtual drive. For example, you make an 8 gig file that can be stored wherever you want to store it that is actually a bootable OS (e.g. XP).

Is there shared folders on these so you can drag/drop between the systems?
Yes. You can do shared folders like you would with any networked machine, however you can actually drag from your "host" machine (your workstation) and drop directly to the desktop or a drive on your virtual machine.

Can you put each one on a separate monitor?
Sure. Just drag the desktop of one machine to the other monitor. I usually have 4 tiled in a monitor so I can see them all at the same time.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
+1
So can't use a D drive as a separate virtual device... hmmm... there goes that one I guess.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 07:13:17 PM »
+1
Look around and see if you can generate a virtual hard drive file (i think they're .vhd files) that Virtual PC uses from a drive (maybe by creating an ISO). Then you could essentially run VirtualPC from the .vhd file that would be an exact duplicate of your current drive
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 07:40:17 PM »
+1
I'll see if the new Windows Virtual PC offers that. From what I understand I can get it and run it with my version of Win7, I just can't use the built in WinXP.

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 07:37:41 AM »
+1
Why would you want to use an entire volume as your virtual machine hard drive? That's just a waste of resources and kind of defeats the Virtualization purpose, at least slightly, me thinks. Are you just trying to resurrect an old workstation as a Virtual machine?

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 08:25:59 AM »
+1
I want to access my old WinXP system from my new Win7 system so I can load/run stuff from either one and share stuff like passwords and settings.

I'm replacing my MB/CPU/HD so I thought the easiest way would be to put my old WinXP drive in as the D: drive. I mean it's already got the boot sector and stuff setup on it... so I should be able to boot from it.

Then I can run from my new C: drive that will be loaded with Win7. If I can get them both booted at the same time on the same computer, then it'd be really easy to run them like separate machines. That way when I see a program I like and use on the WinXP, I can just go d-load it for the Win7 side.

I figured if I can get them both up and running together for a couple weeks, I'm sure I'll start to not even look at the WinXP side, that will mean it's time to remove it.

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 08:32:21 AM »
+1
Problem solved Cerv!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-a-virtual-machine-image-of-your-existing-hard-drive-windows/

Or you could attempt this (but it seems way more complicated and dangerous):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/912826
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 08:53:05 AM »
+1
Problem solved Cerv!

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/create-a-virtual-machine-image-of-your-existing-hard-drive-windows/

YES! That looks like a winner right there!! Thanks MD!!

It'd be like making a copy of the old WinXP hard drive into a partition of the new Win7 hard drive and using that as the virtual drive! I was hoping for a straight use C: and D: , but this looks like it's going to work.

Thanks again!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2011, 10:20:36 AM »
+1
I think ultimately you'll like having the virtual hard drive so you can reformat the old one and use the extra space. I imagine you can cram down the size of the old drive since the image would not contain any of the free space. Virtual hard drives are usually formatted to be expandable so the size will increase as you need it, and since you're mainly just looking to slowly migrate, when you're done, you can just delete and enjoy all your extra space! Also, don't forget Dropbox as a great way for backing up documents and small amounts of music. If anyone would like an invite (so you get a bonus of 250MB on top of the 2GB you get for free) just send me a PM with your email and I'll send you an invite right away!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
+1
Pretty much the path I was going to recommend but I've never done with Microsoft so I wasn't sure where to send you, good Googlin' MD!! In VMWare world we would use P2V and I've done this successfully countless times (sometimes it can be a little quirky but usually it's smooth). I assumed MS would have something similar.

Let us know how it goes Cerv, love to hear about it!

X

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
+1
What can I say, I'm an expert Googler!

• Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 02:55:50 AM »
+1
What can I say, I'm an expert Googler!

LOL. Good one to put on the resume hehe.

Offline Masscre

• Gran Master Jester !!
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 55
  • Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!Masscre is leading the good life!
  • Air Guitar Commander !!
  • Respect: +144
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
+1
You might even want to send that resume to Paul :) I hear he has quite a few applications that is.

Tags: