Author Topic: The future is Linux!  (Read 51943 times)

Offline TrailMyxTopic starter

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: The future is Linux!
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 05:54:23 PM »
+1
Poor Cerveza...

Anyhow, with VMs, it's kinda fun to go and test-drive these kinds of operating systems.  If you screw it up, you can just delete it and start over.

For me, VMs are a little more.  When I'm running Linux, I always have a Win2003 VM running so I can access Trillian, Lotus Notes and .NET stuff.

But my main work computer and my main desk computer all run Fedora now.  One is F8 and one is F9.  My gaming computer is still Win2003.  I'm still running 32 bit versions of everything since most multimedia codecs out there are only for 32 bit OSes.  It's been rare that I've had more that 4GB of RAM installed anyhow.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:56:22 PM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2008, 02:51:55 AM »
+1
I just recently upgraded all my distributions to Fedora 10.  Wow, Fedora has come a long way.  This new version is simply gorgeous.  The new aliased font makes the desktop look absolutely slick. 

Probably the best part of it is networking was completely effortless.  On my laptop, traditional installations of Linux has always been a pain in the arse because I have an EVDO modem, odd wireless, etc.  I have never had a distribution "just work first time" until now.  Now I can surf at Starbucks on my own wireless modem in Linux without any fuss. 

I did have a bit of a problem with getting VMWare 5.5.8 going in F10, but if you have the "tweaked" vmware-update for the 2.6.27 kernel, it works again.  This is a kernel revision problem, and not really a Fedora problem.

http://www.insecure.ws/warehouse/vmware-update-2.6.27-5.5.7-2.tar.gz

Also, I lost my delete, arrow and other control keys in VMware under F10.  This is a known bug and you can fix it by simply adding the following line to the /etc/vmware/config file:

xkeymap.usekeycodeMap = true

Here's a pretty good review of F10:

http://www.montanalinux.org/fedora-10-review.html
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 03:38:16 AM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline 12TimesOver

• Another Day, Another Vendetta
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • 12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.12TimesOver is a force to reckon with.
  • Respect: +321
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2008, 03:38:08 AM »
+1
Cool I'll have to check out the new release, is it publicly available yet? Version 9 went in pretty smoothly even on Virtual PC although it took hours lol. Looking forward to checking out the new version.

X
When they come for me I'll be sitting at my desk
     with a gun in my hand wearing a bulletproof vest
My, my, my how the time does fly
     when you know you're gonna die by the end of the night

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2008, 02:57:30 PM »
+1
Ya, F10 is public now and has been for a few weeks.  There haven't been too many kernel updates too, so the initial install is pretty smooth.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline noonehome

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • noonehome has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
    • Age Of Virtues
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »
+1
years ago back when linux and unix were fairly unheard of by the mass public... slackware and freebsd were the top distrobutions... redhat (creator of fedora) was userfriendly back then but was riddled with bugs and security holes... but fedora has come along way to being one of the better distrobutions

Offline noonehome

• Activity:
    0%
  • noonehome has no influence.
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • Age Of Virtues
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
+1
hey trailmyx do you have mono installed on fedora? or are you just running without razor?

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2009, 11:12:31 PM »
+1
Hmm, I did that but I don't remember the results of that test.  I think I was testing SUO at the time.  I'll check this weekend for you.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
+1
My computer right now triple boots Windows XP Pro 64-bit, Windows 7 Beta 64-bit, and Ubuntu. I must say that I do like Ubuntu, but have been tempted to explore Fedora. Ubuntu is nice because it found default drivers for my wireless card when Windows wouldn't (A Linksys wireless card no less, only THEE MOST COMMON Wireless USB adapter in the friggin world and Microsoft can't put a default driver in?!?).

For easy of use and feature-richness, I'd definitely recommend Ubuntu.

For some good hardcore Linux, Fedora!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
+1
Ya, I only use Fedora because I've been using it since Redhat 5.2.  You basically know where all the easter eggs are hidden.  ;)

There's enough differences between Redhat and Debian-based distributions that keeps me confused enough and keeps me stuck in one camp.  I like Ubuntu just because it's helped Linux garner a wider accepted user base.  That alone demands respect.  I've had it installed a couple times now and it was quite useful.  But I have to know where my cheese is hidden, so I had to go back to Fedora.  I'm not one of those people who says "Ubuntu suxzzz" without actually using it....   

Before that, I started with slackware way back in 1992.

I'm actually dual booting now with F10 and W7.  I have W2000, and W2003 running in VMs.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline VicVega

• Activity:
    0%
  • VicVega has no influence.
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »
+1
Would I be able to get sound and use my remote (for Media Portal) like I now do on Windows Vista if I use VMware workstation on Ubuntu?

Also there is no problems using Easy UO, UO or razor?

Do you recommend Windows 2003 over WinXP for VMWare?
To learn, read.
To know, write.
To master, teach.

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 06:23:29 AM »
+1
The only reason I use Win2000 or Win2003 for VMs is because Microsoft isn't as anal about licensing Win2003.  XP always drove me nuts when it "detected" a change in your system and required re-validation of the OS.  I've spent way too much time on the phone with MS when I make a BIOS upgrade, or change hard drives.  That alone makes me happy to be in Linux most of the time these days.

I'm not sure about Media Portal, you'll have to surf a bit for that.  I can tell you that I use a Win2000 VM to host the server for my Netgear media wireless server and it works fine, so you'll have to research that.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline sowizzar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • sowizzar has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2010, 09:12:41 AM »
+1
I don't know if this helps but there is something called MythTV.  I know it can hook up with a capture card and act as a DVR... as far as streaming it to a tv, I am not sure...

http://www.mythtv.org/

edit:  I tried redhat around 2000, I think it was redhat 5... I read a PCgamer review of linux stating how much more FPS you could get out of quake3, I was amazed!  So I attempted to install it and it looked cool... but I had NO idea what I was doing.

I few years ago, I decided to take a dive again and I fell in love (this was ubuntu).  I am looking to spread my wings and may give fedora  shot.

How do you feel about CENTOS as a server platform?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:18:16 AM by sowizzar »

Offline JustAnotherFace

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 8
  • JustAnotherFace has no influence.
  • My new toy....
  • Respect: +24
  • Referrals: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2010, 09:21:45 AM »
+1
My own personal opinion of Linux..............I am a system administrator and I.T. Dept Manager for a living.. I have this poster framed on the wall of my office lol.

There are 1 attachment(s) in this post. You must register and post an acceptable introduction to download
Linux Poster.jpg
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 09:24:29 AM by JustAnotherFace »
All that tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sowizzar

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 1
  • sowizzar has no influence.
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
+1
My own personal opinion of Linux..............

LOL!  Never built one from scratch but I've repaired my share of raster / vector monitors... does that count  8)

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
+1
I have a CentOS server running for my boss right now. It's pretty decent. Almost identical to Redhat Enterprise. Plenty of resources as well!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Tags: