Author Topic: Posting other peoples code. Ettiquette  (Read 2489 times)

Offline seeriuslyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • seeriusly has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
Posting other peoples code. Ettiquette
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:51:18 AM »
  I am far from a scripter, I don't claim to be, but I can figure out how to butcher scripts and use the code to do something I want them to do.  I understand how you would feel if someone hacked up your script and posted the final result as their own.  I wouldn't do that, I would take the credit for helping the community out, but wouldn't take the credit as "The scripter".

Does that make sense??  Sorry coffee is a bit strong this morning...   :o

That being said, I would like to share some scripts I use that I have butchered.  They are for the most part, little transformations to full scripts, just slight modifications to do the everyday tedious tasks.  The slightly-above-average noob scripter can modify scripts...  But average UO players cannot.  And I would like to help contribute to the community, as little help as it is.  I have made lots of gold off some of these scripts, so I wouldn't want the average troller to come along and have a hay day like most do.  I strongly believe in the rules of making people contribute to the community in order to receive what we have to offer.  As pathetic as some of these intros are... LOL...

If this is a forbidden topic, then I will just keep them to myself.  If it's allright, then I'd like to be able to share.

In doing this, I would have to post the modified script, and any other scripts that it takes to run them... (ie rail scripts, rail makers, those sorts of things). 

What is the general consensus?  Opinions??  How would I go about this?

Scrripty

Re: Posting other peoples code. Ettiquette
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:57:04 AM »
If it's a script not posted/hosted here, the way to do it is post the updated script with permission in that thread and a link here I believe.  Or post a tutorial on HOW to change the script with a link to the original script here. 

Offline Toptwo

• SunTigress's Hero!
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 21
  • Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...Toptwo might someday be someone...
  • Respect: +131
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:07:16 AM »
If it's a script not posted/hosted here, the way to do it is post the updated script with permission in that thread and a link here I believe.  Or post a tutorial on HOW to change the script with a link to the original script here. 

Excellent response Twinkle McNugget...and 100% correct. You will need permission from the original author before you post up anything that came from another scripter (especially something that just has "small" changes in it.) Many authors have posted up "snippets" that are useable in anybodys code (as long as proper credit is given) but if your just using somebody elses script with slight changes...please get permission.
The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.....  If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 10:11:46 AM »
We typically frown on scripts reposted, but "tweaked".  It's ok to use snippets out of another script, assuming you give ample credit in the header, and the script does something other than the original intention.  So if you can sum up a bunch of different subs into something new, then that's great.  Tweaked scripts that basically do the same/more than the original is something we'll probably frown on.

Now it's OK to post a link to the original script, and then post your mods or suggestions to the additional/different functionality.  That way the original author still has control over the version control of their script and we don't create multiple branches of an existing and supported script. 

Hope that makes sense; we try to adhere to high ethical standards even though we are considered by many to be dirty cheaters.  ;)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline seeriuslyTopic starter

• Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 6
  • seeriusly has no influence.
  • Respect: +40
  • Referrals: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 10:27:56 AM »
 Yeah I thought these were the cases...  Most scripts on EUO are from waaaay back, and authors are hard to contact.  I don't want to stir anything up so just wanted to be sure what to do, and still be able to help community in some fashion.  I start to feel a little guilty using scripts here, and not giving back, even though I can't give as much as I have received I still want to contribute.  I'd rather contribute here, because all the posts on EUO boards from this decade on a particular script are all about "it doesn't work, help!"

So at any rate...  I can do it like this?

1 -- post a use for another script
2 -- link to that script
3 -- list what and where to change (line #'s, etc)

:-[  Now the idea is giving me an unnerving feeling.

Offline Cerveza

• Hacksimus Maximus
  • Scripthack
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 80
  • Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!Cerveza is awe-inspiring!
  • So... Hows that Hopey-Changey thing working out?
  • Respect: +403
  • Referrals: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 03:40:18 AM »
This is all true *if* the author is still active and updating the script. Once a script goes "orphan" and is no longer supported, and the author isn't available through normal means of contact, then it would be alright to post the entire modified script as long as proper credit is given.

If the script is still actively supported then you can post a link to where it's being supported and post up your changes to the script. You can also ask the author for permission to repost the modified script in it's entirety.
XXXXXXXXXX________________________________________] 20%
I've forgotten more about this game then most people will ever know.
Thank you for controlling your children. Their manners reflect your love for them.
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Don't teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man. Fishing's not that hard.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 05:36:22 AM »
I'd rather contribute here, because all the posts on EUO boards from this decade on a particular script are all about "it doesn't work, help!"

We really try hard to not interfere with scripts posted at EUO.  So if it's posted there, but out of support then it's important to get the original authors permission even though you might not ever get it because that person has retired.  But we have gone through this several times successfully; it ttakes a little patience.  

What generally happens is:

1) New scripter contacts me to set something up
2) New scripter contacts the original author and asks for permission.  The original author is asked to PM me at EUO (a.k.a Miffy) with verification
2a) Contact at EUO is important to verify.  We don't accept "Sure, s/he let me know; trust me...."
3) Once I receive permission from the original author, I'll contact the new scripter.
4) I'll keep the PMs documenting the transaction just in case there is any problems.

The last example of this was a script from Hosebomber.  I have the paper trail that supports this transition.  You can certainly try to get the original authors permission to transfer a tweaked script here, but we'll REALLY need the written permission then.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 05:42:40 AM by TrailMyx »
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Tags: