Author Topic: EUO goes open source .. is there a "legal" way to improve the editor with yours  (Read 15426 times)

Offline rana70Topic starter

• Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 5
  • rana70 has no influence.
  • Respect: +37
  • Referrals: 2
    • View Profile
    • MyScripts
Hi,

this meight be a stupid question to all of you ... but... I ask it anyway ...

Since a few month this is a part of the EUO Startpage

EUO goes open source! For real this time! by Cheffe

So if the program is open source now .... would it be a big problem
legal problem ..or what ever ....
to use the part of the program that actually runs the script with
your much better SUO User frontend and all the great and loved features ?

cu
Rana

Offline Xclio

• Officially "The MAN"
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 9
  • Xclio has no influence.
  • Respect: +56
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
That is for their "openeuo" program but the major functionality of the program is still not open source.

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Well the problem with the "open source" claim of the EasyUO people is that it won't really be OPEN.  When I think of open source, I think of code that I can compile, tweak, etc.  They are wanting to release a *CLOSED* dll/lib that people can interface to. 

So I say nay to the OpenEUO(*cough*) initiative since I don't want to rely on a closed source.  I have much more faith in the UOAI project since that code is freely available, but at this time is only in beta.  I have already played quite a bit with the UOAI project with SUO and I feel that when UOAI moves from beta to release status, we can really take advantage of it.

Edit:
(lol, yeh Xclio, what you said!)
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
What is this UOAI you speak of? I've never heard of it...you have intrigued me! Do you have a link for it?
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Check the links section.  They have made some great progress recently with UOAI!  I'm starting to play with it again.

http://www.scriptuo.com/index.php?action=links;cat=6
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline UOMaddog

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
That's friggin' awesome! I'm gonna read up on it this evening!

Sadly, I think most of UO's programmers/devs would probably learn something if they read UOAI! LoL!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
I really like the direction that UOAI has gone.  They've pretty much opened up the project to just about anyone and using any programming language.  Not to mention that he's got the source code included.  OpenEUO has dictated waaay too many terms and has closed the project to most traditional programmers in Windows these days.  I thought about trying to wrap their DLL in a COM object, but then I'd be left with something that's still closed source.

I just hope the author can keep up with the project, but he's been pretty busy lately with school.
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline TrailMyx

• Administrator
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Viper!
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
If you guys haven't checked out the UOAI project yet, I think you should take a look at it.  Artaxerxes seems to be very engaged in the project and has made some incredible progress in the last couple weeks.

This one gets my vote over OpenEUO any day.  Plus I always vote for the underdog.  ;)

http://www.decelle.be/UOAI/index.html

I had to give up on playing with the project for a while because it would crash too much.  However, recently the project has stabilized very nicely and a bunch of really cool features have been added.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2009, 12:46:51 PM by TrailMyx »
Come play RIFT with me!

Offline welgill

• Don't mess with TM!
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • welgill has no influence.
  • Respect: +9
  • Referrals: 1
    • View Profile
took me 2 years to learn enough of euo's script language to not have a headach every time I tried to make a script work .
This makes my head hurt like a gorrila is standing on it.
When I'm designing jewlery being an artsie type is really great,when I try to learn a porg language it really sucks!
That said what language do you suggest I start to grab the baasics of to be able to implement basic scripts in the future?

Scrripty

I'll tell you one thing:  Without EUO most of us wouldn't still be playing... :)  I'm glad Cheffe gave us anything to play with... what a fun bunch of years with EUO...  No matter what, thanks Cheffe. :)  When EUO came out it was the coolest thing on the block.  Now look at us?  haha  Thanks TM for ScriptUO too.  Continued development on this stuff is what keeps me playing UO, cause god knows the devs haven't been able to keep my attention.  SA?  *YAWN*

Tags: