Author Topic: SUO Shard  (Read 2414 times)

Offline UOMaddogTopic starter

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • Reputation Power: 22
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
  • Biggest B@D@$$ of the Universe
  • Respect: +165
  • Referrals: 8
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
SUO Shard
« on: December 23, 2010, 09:31:57 PM »
So what do people think of possibly starting an SUO freeshard for UO? I've been playing around with RunUO over the past couple days and it seems pretty fun to program with it...Knowing how much some people here enjoying the programming/scripting side of UO....we could probably fix all the broken things in UO and have a pretty kick-@$$ shard! Just a thought! I would love to see some comments!
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
Re: SUO Shard
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:57:18 PM »
I'm always for that stuff, but I see how Alexandria flounders with only 30 people online at a time.  They have several GREAT developers (snicker7 & Warlock to name a couple) and lots of custom code that would take a long time to catch up with since they've already addressed the TON of bugs found in the RunUO codebase and added many cool features.

I spent alot of time digging through the 1.0 and 2.0 RunUO codebases, and you can come up with a pretty playable shard assuming you can come up with the hardware and ISP to handle it.  Since ScriptUO is just hosted on a "cheap" (although a good "cheap")  host, it would require a significant outlay in hardware/monthly fees to maintain a playable shard.

So I'm saying that it's gonna be a hard slog to bring something up like that for little in return. 

I hate the be the negative-nelly, but for me it's all about the physical realization and longevity of a shard.  I started on a couple now-defunct freeshards, and that's no fun to wake up one day to that "cannot connect" screen.

With all that said, I'll certainly support anyone with their endevour by the appropriate links from ScriptUO to get people in the door.
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
  • UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...UOMaddog might someday be someone...
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 02:04:15 PM »
I understand what you mean TM...I just happened to look into and it's kind of given me some insight as to the capabilities of EM's and GM's in UO...I'm curious if the GM commands/tools are identical to UO's or not
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't!

Windows:  A 64-bit tweak of a 32-bit extension to a 16-bit user interface for an 8-bit operating system based on a 4-bit architecture from a 2-bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition!

Offline TrailMyx

• Officially retired from UO
  • Administrator
  • Activity:
    0.4%
  • Reputation Power: 154
  • TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!TrailMyx is awe-inspiring!
  • Viper!
  • Respect: +1349
  • Referrals: 33
    • View Profile
    • ScriptUO
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 02:38:25 PM »
It's pretty cool how extendable it is too.  I remember the first time I looked at UO emulation back in the days of UOX back in the basic days.  In those days, doors weren't even coded, let alone any spawning.  It's amazing what works out of the package.  But then once you start digging, you'll find just how much work is still involved.

With that said, I did have a ball playing with the base server software.  It was amazing how much testing I was able to do with my IDOC tools!
Please read the ScriptUO site RULES
Come play RIFT with me!

• Maddog
  • Elite
  • Activity:
    0%
    • View Profile
    • Insane UO
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2010, 03:32:08 PM »
When I get my server up and running again, I will install a shard on there and I'd like some people to play around on it and run some speed tests to satisfy my own curiosity about the speed of the shards (it's BLAZING fast when just connecting to "localhost" haha)!

Offline gimlet

• Very Super Secret
  • Global Moderator
  • Activity:
    2.8%
  • Reputation Power: 71
  • gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!gimlet is awe-inspiring!
  • Respect: +274
  • Referrals: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2010, 04:00:30 PM »
As long as no one tells any one how bad I am in pvp!!!!!!!!

Tags: